Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Garratin Personal Orchsetra vs Kurzweil PC2 Orchestral Exp.???

ELP71

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by bat63:

Kurzweil,no doubt....

If "Symphonica" was still up at the site,you could listen for yourself..

Too,there is this choice:

http://www.ke-musik.dk/Upload/HtmlArticles/Article1284/RolandEXRKE_musik.mp3

Roland EXR 3/5/7

You can still download "symphonica" from the "options" page at the Kurzweil site... but, for whatever reason, not from the PC2 page...

I am also very interested in hearing opinons of the 'Kurzweil PC2' Orchestral sounds. I need something *now* and can't go get a computer with 2 gigs of free space to run the Garritan samples. C'mon...somebody's used this box. What do you think?

Benjy

Benjy

As I listened to samples of both Garritan and Kurzweil, it struck me that the answer may depend on your desired application.

Garritan might be better if you want to do soundtracks or pure orchestral works.

Kurzweil might work better if you want to fit orchestral sounds in a mix containing other instruments, such as in rock or jazz context in which keyboards are playing alongside other instruments. That's just my guess, as I own neither of these fine products!

Ben

Add me to the list of curious bystanders. Anyone use both??

I have a PC2 and was thinking of buying GPO over the Orch ROM but now I'm not so sure. Seems the GPO sampleset is MUCH more data (like, how many CDs??) so it seems the sounds and options SHOULD be better ... or, perhaps more realistic. Which I guess doesn't automatically mean better, if it doesn't sit in the mix.

More anecdotes, anyone? For example, how did you use one or the other and were you satisfied?

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

OK, somewhat impulsively, I purchased and received a Kurzweil PC2R with the orchestral ROM card from eBay. (I figured it would be nice to add Kurzweil sounds to my rack for future performances and studio projects.) I've listened through the orchestral patches and demo with decent headphones, and my conclusion is that the sounds would be very convincing in a mix. In isolation, I can tell that the sounds are samples, but there's a cleanness and integrity to them that would make them work excellently when combined with other instrument sounds. Also, Kurzweil did an excellent job in selecting the right variety of orchestral instruments. You can find a list of the sounds at this Kurzweil website . Maybe the sounds work well in isolation, too, but my gut feeling is that they sound especially good when blended together with either other sounds from the ROM or with other instruments altogether.

Hope this helps.

Ben

Never used the Kurx stuff, but I like what little I've done with GPO - sadly, my PC's stunningly underpowered. Very good dry sounds (the "wets" sound a bit soggy), the violin performance control is very nice (unused notes toggle the sample set), and I love the fact that it will work with my ancient Encore scoring s/w - unfortunately, my PC can't handle running both together, AND can't handle running GPO inside a VST host, so I've only used it standalone.

There is, of course, a reason it's a $250 package and not a $3000 one. Works for me, though. Sorta.

BTW, sizewise, it's 3 CD's to load GPO, plus a 4th with various other products, including a Cubasis sequencer and a notation program named Overture.

Daf

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

One complaint I have heard about GPO is the absence of release samples, but then, that is something that separates it from the $1000 collections. But everyone that I have heard that complaint from also qualifies it by saying that for $250, GPO is amazing. I dont have any trouble running it within Sonar on a decent P4. It is very easy to build sections and performances and works well in stand alone mode on my second PC. If forced to make a choice, I would choose it over my two Roland SRX orchestra ROMs. I cannot believe I paid more for the Roland SRX string sections ROM than I paid for GPO.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by Rabid:

One complaint I have heard about GPO is the absence of release samples, but then, that is something that separates it from the $1000 collections. But everyone that I have heard that complaint from also qualifies it by saying that for $250, GPO is amazing. I dont have any trouble running it within Sonar on a decent P4. It is very easy to build sections and performances and works well in stand alone mode on my second PC. If forced to make a choice, I would choose it over my two Roland SRX orchestra ROMs. I cannot believe I paid more for the Roland SRX string sections ROM than I paid for GPO.

Robert

Interesting...
Weasels ripped my flesh. Rzzzzzzz.

Archived