Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland Owners

Vincepro

I own a XP30 and was lookin to purchase a 5080. I know there is an overlap of sounds but I was wondering how much of an overlap? If you own a JV module is it a bad idea to pick up a 5080? What percent of the sounds would you say are exactly the same? I'm hoping that the 5080 will bring something new to the table..

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What about in terms of the acutal samples? I already have the vintage, orchestral, session, techno, and asia jv boards installed in my xp30...If I purchase the 5080, will the srx sounds just be a rehash of the sounds I already have?

Vince, from a pure sound perspective all you are really gaining is access to SRX boards and the ability to load samples to the 5080.

IMO, the SRX patches are superior to the stock Roland patches. But to get the 5080 as a SRX holder doesn't make sense to me.

Sure you are picking up more sonic strength and maybe another 10 % interesting stock patches with the 5080. That alone is not enough, for me., if I had the Xp30

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Thanks so much for your advice...That is insane to me how often the same sounds are used..So basically Id only get 10% new sounds and higher sound quality...Someone who purchased a 2080 way back in the day would have very little reason to upgrade huh!

I may have to correct myself . The 5080 has has a much larger block of ROM . I was thinking of all the presets your XP has , 1400, compared to the 5080

Lil Chips does a great job charting all the differences on the various Roland models:

http://www.lilchips.com/roland/info/xv-family.asp

Much better than my memory !

[70's Songwriter]

Actually, I don 't want to cause any confusion. I don;t recall there being enough of a difference . I am not sure how the 5080 is using all that extra ROM maybe for more polyphony

or for loading SRX.

There are many music stores in Chicago where you can check out the 5080. Have you done that ?

Another good forum is the Yahoo groups 5080

forum

[70's Songwriter]

The sound quality in the 5080 is much richer than the XP30. The XP30 sounds dull in comparison. Roland cut some corners with the audio quality in the XP30.

Find 750 of Harry's solo piano arrangements and tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
These arrangements are for teaching solo piano chording using Harry's 2+2 harmony method.
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." 

Hey mich, good question. I have an Rd 700.

I doubt you would hear anything prior to January NAMM from Roland

[70's Songwriter]

I guess if it was me, though, I'd be worried about the availability of SRJV boards and comparing the amount of expandability vs the expandability of the FantomXR (considering that SRX boards each have about 4 times as much wave ROM as SRJV boards).

Don't get me wrong, the XV5080 is a real powerhouse, and it sounds great. I'm sure it would be a great addition to your rig.

I think you'll find that the XV is a considerable step up in sound quality.

Once, you've exhausted the roland expansion family, the place to look is at other forms of synthesis, or sample libraries. Most romplers cover the same bread & butter. However each manufacturer has their own typical sound, and it's nice to have more than one kind of synth family on a CD mix.

Best,

Jerry

Thanks a lot guys...Well I also own a Korg MS2000R, Triton Rack, Proteus 2500 expanded (which I want to get rid of) , Waldorf Micro Q, XP30....

The reason I'm after a 5080 is because I find the Roland sounds very inspiring and I'm not really into tweaking sounds...For nontweakers like me, I find the EMU modules horrid...With the Proteus 2500, I cycle through sound after sound (I even have mophatt and extremelead expansions installed) and keep running into unusable "sound fx" type sounds...To me, the Proteus series sounds like a cheap computer sound card to me..Im hoping that the 5080 will bring more "ready out of the box" sounds for me....

So are the SRX expansion cards mostly new sounds or the same JV expansion card sounds combined and higher quality?

Hey Vince, I agree with you on selling the Proteus. With all your other equipment plus a 5080, I would sell it .

I had a blown out XL 1 Turbo with a Launchpad. There were some very good patches but editing was a PITA. I sold mine on ebay.

About your general question on SRX boards. To break it down there are about 12 SRX cards. 8 of the 12 are new samples, 4 are 90 % compilations plus some new samples. For example, the Concert Piano, Studio. Symphony and Brass are new sampled sounds.

The Srx 07 and Srx 08 are JV compilations plus some new stuff.

Felix makes a good point that I agree with. As soon as the Fantom XR was announced , I sold my 3080 on eBay. The XR is a nice upgrade in quality and has USB. The 5080 is a very good module but I did not want to spend a lot of $ on

it and deal with SCSI .

I made the point that the SRX patches are superior to the stock Xv sounds or the stock sounds in your XP 30.

If I had your rig, I would sell the Proteus and the XP 30

and the Jv cards. You would be set with a 61 key Fantom with 2 or 3 SRX boards for a few years.

I know everyone has a budget and this move would cost more. You could check ebay to see what the market will give you.

I imagine you might have a bunch of questions about the Fantom X. I think you should check it out. From postings at Fantomized.info, the X keyboard does have 1 or 2 bugs. The feeling is that OS upgrades will solve this.

Happy shopping

[70's Songwriter]

Thanks for your response Greg...I think I'm gonna stick with the XP30 cause i love the interface and the feel of the keys...Im able to get a 5080 for about 5-6 hundred dollars less than the Fantom XR..I wont be editing patches much so I dont think the Scsi is a big deal to me...Anything else I'm overlooking? Thanks!

Hey Vince, you have done the $ and cents, that's cool.

Definitely give the 5080 a good demo. If you can appreciate a sonic difference between that and your XP , you should be set.

The 5080 has been an industry standard in recording studios for some years. That is no accident.

I hear you about interface. I have an Rd 700 and I am very happy its interface and the weighed keys.

[70's Songwriter]

Hey Vince, you have done the $ and cents, that's cool.

Definitely give the 5080 a good demo. If you can appreciate a sonic difference between that and your XP , you should be set.

The 5080 has been an industry standard in recording studios for some years. That is no accident.

I hear you about interface. I have an Rd 700 and I am very happy its interface and the weighed keys.

[70's Songwriter]

hey Vincepro-

I'm where you are on this. I have an XP-60, JV-1080, and some expansion boards, and wondering where to go with new equipment. After doing some research, it looks like about 2/3 of the waveforms in a stock XV and the first Fantom are the same as an XP, but supposedly in the case of the 5080 they all use a higher sample rate (either 44.1 or 48k) and sometimes have more multisamples. Some of the rest are from the first expansion board...Pop...(some clavs, the Wurlies, some of the basses, and the wonderful breathy tenor sax). There's a lot of orchestral waves that may have come from the orch. expansion board...I didn't check them but I wouldn't be surprised because most of these waves seem to have been recycled from somewhere. I also didn't check the drums.

As you probably know, the reverbs in XP's are pretty bad. The better reverbs in XV's make everything sound a lot better. Also, the ability to assign two drum samples to a rhythm note, and stereo waves to a single tone are big improvements. But, you know, I've already been there with these sounds so I'll probably go with the Fantom X.

I had an XP-50 and XP-80 as my setup at one time. The first day I heard an XV-5080 I traded in my XP-50. When the Fantom came out I traded my XP-80 for the Fantom. As others have stated, the sound improved with the XV/Fantom line. One reason the XV-5080 sounds better is the processing rate. The synth and effects engines work at a higher rate than the XP line. I cannot remember the exact bit rate for each machine but it is higher on the newer line. The samples contained in the XV-5080 are the same quality as the XP samples, but they are converted before processing through egs, filters and effects. Any samples you load from the Roland CD line are at the higher rate and give you a little better sound than the stock samples. The ROM on the Fantom series contain samples that are stored at the higher bit rate. This gives the Fantom a little edge over the XV-5080 in one area, but the effects processor and engine of the XV-5080 is still better than the early Fantom keyboard. Im not sure how the processing power of the Fantom XR compares to the XV-5080.

So what do you get by moving from a JV/XP engine to the XV-5080?

Higher processing rate for better overall sounds. I could instantly tell a difference in the bass.

Sample loading. For a while the XV-5080 was coming with 2 L-CDX sample sets for a total of 4 CDs of orchestra, brass and woodwind samples. I had to buy those separate and thought I got a good deal when I paid around $250. Now you can pick up all four L-CDX sets for a total of 8 CDs for that price if you look around.

More storage options. I have a 128 meg of sample memory and a smart media card of the same size. It also comes with a SCSI connection so connecting a CD or external HD is easy. You can also have a good tech mount an internal HD if you wish.

Lots of patches. This was my favorite part. With 4 SRX and 4 JV expansions you get a lot of stock patches, plus several banks for user patches, plus the ability to save and load patches on the SM card. My XV-5080 and 4 SRX and 3 JV ROMs in it. I think I have around 3500 patches on my machine at this time.

Computer editor. Although it does not have USB, the XV-5080 and Fantom line does have a very nice editor. What really amazed me was the ability to tell the editor what ROMs I have in the machine, and which slots they are in. The editor now knows all of the patches and samples on those cards and makes them available when I want to edit sounds.

Polyphony. You can never have too much polyphony. Especially with Roland gear. The XV-5080 has 128 oscillators and filters. That is twice the amount on the Fantom or Fantom S.

Audio connections. The XV-5080 has several outputs. You can assign drums, or just bass drum to a separate output. Connect by SPD/IF and record digitally into most sound cards, or use R-bus for 8 channel digital recording.

Here is a link in case you want to look at the specs on the RolandUS site.

XV-5080 on RolandUS

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Great advice guys...Im glad that the 5080 will bring me much better sound quality.My main concern right now is "Will the 5080 give me access to a significant amount of different sounds that the XP30 doesnt have?" Sounds like the stock sounds of the 5080 are pretty much rehashed Xp30 sounds, but what if I choose the right SRX boards? I think someone said earlier that there are certain SRX boards that have sounds you cant get through the JV boards?

In relation to this news, I am going to sell my Proteus 2500 with installed PurePhatt and Extreme Lead expansions...I feel that Emu sounds are SO bad, that I feel like I am on drugs when other people like these sounds....For you Proteus users out there, I am amazed if you can make good music with the Proteus sounds...I will pray for the poor soul that buys this unit from me.

Hey, I like my Emu. I have a P2500, XL-7 and Virtuoso 2000 all maxed out with 4 ROM's each. While the Emu will not match the Roland for natural instrument sounds (piano, orchestra, etc), it does very well with synth sounds. The Vintage and World ROM's are very good and sought after. The synth based ROMs are a great match for the selection of Emu filters. These are tweakers synths. While I never use the Virtuoso 2000 for the orchestra sounds it was designed for, running those orchestra samples through various filters and making use of the matrix modulations does make for a great pad machine. I only wish the effects were better, but for $200 I can stick a good multi-effects unit behind the Emu.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

vince....for the amount of money you would spend on a 5080 i would just get a fantom x rack. or just save up until you can get one. honestly the srx cards are great but a lot of the patches on them are just rehashes of the jv cards with maybe a little better sound quality. to me the fantom x is the best sounding roland peice in many years, especially when it comes down to keyboard sounds and guitar sounds and even strings. they have something strong on their hands here and you can still pack it with srx cards. i will be dumping my 3080 for one soon. have fun. and remember it's just my opinion.

Archived