Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Gear! (nord electro) Woohoo!

Ben Jacobs

So, after wavering back and forth for a while, I finally plunged on the bright red beast :) Went with the 73, got a great deal from Tony at BT Productions (thanks for the tip Eric). Unfortunately, when they (Armadillo, not Tony - this is no slight to him) packaged it, only the right side had foam. As such, there's a big ol' splinter on the left wood cap that's chipped off. So sadly, she has to go back for replacement. I'm out of town all next week, so it'll be another good two weeks before I get to play on her again... just wanted to share my joy with people who can appreciate it. I took it out to play it for a while (to see if the damage was purely cosmetic or internal as well), and it's dreeaaamy. Wired up another board for the lower manual and ran through a (sloppy) rendition of "the cat" (spent the past week doing my darndest to transcribe smith's solo).. simply wonderful.

Thanks for all the encouragement towards this purchase that I've received here (consider yourselves enablers for GAS ;) ), and for the help in steering towards it.

Back to staring at it dreamily for the rest of the night, then off to a well needed break in Florida next week.

Ben Jacobs

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love the Electo 2. It's so darned light and covers so many bases so well that there's never a question of whether to bring it to the gig. And for last-minute rehearsals with pickup bands you can't beat it... I've sat in an office chair and played it in my lap. Good call, you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

got a great deal from Tony at BT Productions (thanks for the tip Eric). Unfortunately, when they (Armadillo, not Tony - this is no slight to him) packaged it, only the right side had foam. As such, there's a big ol' splinter on the left wood cap that's chipped off.
I am very happy to hear that you had a good experience with Tony. Not so happy to hear about the packing problem. I had some similar issues with a couple of different Electros and they were all tracked back to poor packing. I think that Clavia makes them in Sweden and they come over to the US stacked into a nice pallet. Then once they are separated, the foam inside each box is really not enough to withstand UPS.

Armadillo finally shipped mine to me in another larger box with bubble wrap and that really helped a lot.

The Electro is such a great instrument. I had a day gig today subbing with a band I've never played with - the Electro was just great and those guys were blown away by it. It is such a musically satisfying instrument.

Regards,

Eric

Hey Ben - congratulations! You won't be sorry :thu: ! It's an amazingly fun and versatile instrument to play live. I haven't had this much fun with a stage instrument since my first MiniMoog waaay back in '70. And, you can backpack it to the gig!

Make sure you get some reverb happening - it warms up the sound considerably.

Here for the gear.

Make sure you get some reverb happening - it warms up the sound considerably.
Hey Drawback - what kind of verb do you use for your Electro? I have an Alesis Wedge that works very well, when I feel like setting it up. I bring it out about 30% of the time, mainly due to the additional gear fussing with extra cables, wall wart, etc.

Regards,

Eric

Hi Eric,

For a while I was using a NanoVerb. A couple of tweaks & it was just fine. Similar hassles with the wall wart, and double the cords for stereo, so it was a bit of a pain. I was going to wire it into my KP-200S, but then I discovered the AER Compact 60, which has very good reverb onboard.

Although I'm not sure what to do with the Motion Sound amp now (it's on the bubble), I think in a loud band stage setup I might run the keys thru the PA, getting the reverb off the board, and back into the amp for monitor mix.

Here for the gear.

Archived