Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

No MIDI thru on any Nord products?!

eric

Folks,

Help me out if you know a way around this other than the way I am doing it. I use an S90 with a Nord Electro and MicroModular. I like to have the S90 MIDI'd to both of them.

For whatever reason, Nord only has MIDI in and out on their keyboards. So my Electro and Micro Modular cannot be daisy-chained.

My workaround is this old Audio Technica MIDI gizmo I've had since about 1987 that solves my problem, but I hate the additional gear fussing. It is a 1 in, 4 out MIDI thru box, with hardware toggle switches for each of the 4 MIDI outs. It is pretty cool, but I was trying to remove it from the rig due to the extra cables and hassle.

My first try was to see if the S90 could toggle its MIDI thru to be a 2nd MIDI out and then I could just run 2 MIDI outs from that master keyboard. No go. I have dug through the manuals for the Nords and see nothing to indicate that their MIDI out can be changed to a thru. The lack of MIDI thru seems like a fairly major oversight to me. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Eric

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...and there's no way in software to toggle the OUT jack so it acts as a THRU?
That's my question! I can't seem to find this listed as a feature anywhere in the exhaustive Nord manuals!

What bums me is that my Roland RD600 had a software toggle to allow the MIDI thru to become a 2nd MIDI out. Very handy. I have investigated and it does not seem that the S90 has this feature. So unless someone tells me that I can toggle either the Nord or the S90 to solve this issue, I'm stuck with the old MIDI thru box and a couple of extra cables...

Thanks,

Eric

Originally posted by eric:

...and there's no way in software to toggle the OUT jack so it acts as a THRU?
That's my question! I can't seem to find this listed as a feature anywhere in the exhaustive Nord manuals!
Wow...if that's the case, I'll be really surprised at the oversight. I mean, even the 14 year old Alesis SR16 let you do that...surely Nord can't have missed this.

Have you contacted their tech support folks?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

The G2 and the Lead 3 have MIDI through jacks as well, none of the older designs (Lead 1+2 and the modular series) or the Electro have MIDI through. I E-mailed them when I bought my Lead 2 back in -98 or -99, and they answered that MIDI functionality is not their top priority. I guess they consider assignable cc:s and the velocity curve issues MIDI related too.. :eek:

/J :cool: nas

Archived