Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alesis RAM card bank dissappeared!

shniggens

WTF!

I had ALL of my most used and favorite sounds stored on one bank of my RAM card, and all the sudden, the whole freakin bank dissappeared from the card! The other 2 banks are still there! :confused:

I replaced the lithium battery, thinking that could be the cause. Nope.

Has this ever happened to any of you?

Amateur Hack

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never happened to me. I have my banks backed up on my PC via MIDI cable. It takes some time, but I guess its worth it.

Sorry to hear it - there are a bunch of Alesis guys on this site, I'm suprised no one else has chimed in.

Originally posted by shniggens:

WTF!

I had ALL of my most used and favorite sounds stored on one bank of my RAM card, and all the sudden, the whole freakin bank dissappeared from the card! The other 2 banks are still there! :confused:

I replaced the lithium battery, thinking that could be the cause. Nope.

Has this ever happened to any of you?

So this was an SRAM card rather than a Flashram card?

In that case, doesn't replacing the battery erase the card?

I have all my patches in the user bank (no waves of my own) so I have never had a problem.

Oh man, it's so frustrating. I tried it on BOTH of my Alesis boards, and it's the same condition on both. I thought it may just be the board or something. AARRRRRGGGHHHHHH. I guess I will just have to start from scratch on another one of the card's banks, and hope that one doesn't dissappear too.
Amateur Hack

On a side note, I too recently replaced the battery in the memory card for my Yamaha TG77. I had backed up my sounds, of course; but with my great surprise, I discovered that after the replacement, the card had retained its whole memory! It took me a couple of minutes to put the new battery in place, so I guess some cards have a way to retain memory for a short while.

BTW, is this the same type of card (PCMCIA type I) that's used with the Andromeda?

Originally posted by marino:

On a side note, I too recently replaced the battery in the memory card for my Yamaha TG77. I had backed up my sounds, of course; but with my great surprise, I discovered that after the replacement, the card had retained its whole memory! It took me a couple of minutes to put the new battery in place, so I guess some cards have a way to retain memory for a short while.

Wow...how is that possible? I don't doubt you guys, mind you - it's just that this goes against something I thought was a given.

BTW, is this the same type of card (PCMCIA type I) that's used with the Andromeda?
Yep. Generic Type I SRAM card. I keep the Rob Papen bank on mine. :thu:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Wow...how is that possible? I don't doubt you guys, mind you - it's just that this goes against something I thought was a given.

dB

I can assure you that even though I'm still scratching my head about it, that's exactly what happened. Since I hadn't a small enough tool to open the battery door (it uses a nearly microscopic screw :) ), I took the card with me to the electronics store. The guy opened the thing, took the old battery out, then disappeared with it for a couple of minutes. He returned with a new battery along with the old one, put the new battery in place, closed the small door with the micro-screw... and when I came back home, a few minutes later, I plugged the card into the TG77, and the whole memory content was still there. Go figure.

* * * Edited... "store", not "score"! :D

Archived