Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

V amp question

Faruk

In different posts I've read about several forum members using Behringer V amp products for tube/cabinet emulations and effects. On the Behringer web page I saw V amp and Bass V amp models. Which one is more suitable for keyboards? Are V amp Pros (rack models) worth paying little extra? I was thinking of puting my gear through line mixer, then thorugh the V amp or Bass V amp and maybe to by that cheep Ultragain Pro tube pre and put it on one of my boards or laptop before line mixer if needed. Would that be correct signal chain? I know this last sounds like funny question, but I dont have any experience with virtual amplification gear. Oh, and I dont consider any POD products as alternitive - very long delivery time to my country.

Faruk

Fat But Fast

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Faruk:

In different posts I've read about several forum members using Behringer V amp products for tube/cabinet emulations and effects. On the Behringer web page I saw V amp and Bass V amp models. Which one is more suitable for keyboards?

It depends on which type of tube amps you want to emulate...but both have a fairly good tube pre emulation. You'd probably be better off with the bass v-amp unlass you want that mid-range bump that guitar amps give you.

Are V amp Pros (rack models) worth paying little extra?

The price difference is so small that I personally would get the Pro if only for the rackmount form factor. I'm sure that there's also some perceived or implied sonic advantage. And then there's the digital out (with word clock), etc.

I was thinking of puting my gear through line mixer, then thorugh the V amp or Bass V amp and maybe to by that cheep Ultragain Pro tube pre and put it on one of my boards or laptop before line mixer if needed. Would that be correct signal chain?

No. Well, maybe. Normally, you'd think of the V-amp as a preamp, cabinet and the effects (and the mic, for that matter) so you'd want to go instrument->V-amp->mixer and leave the mixer channel as flat as possible. But if you want to do a wet/dry thing, hooking into an aux on the board is an alternative.

However, I'd recommend against any of the V-amp products for keyboards unless it's a real Rhodes or Clavinet. You'd be better off buying a more expensive REAL pre or a decent multieffects unit. They will be voiced transparently, not specifically for guitar or bass.

"For instance" is not proof.

i played a synth thru Pod Pro XT in the store the other day. And besides obvious guitar cabinet models (who low-end) it has some models that retain synth bass range.

The Bass version might be better suited , but then again it might lack some great od/dist models guitar ver has, that can sound great on lead synths etc..

you need to try yourself. Also, i'd prefer the original (POD by Line6) instead of the Behringer copy.

http://www.babic.com - music for film/theatre, audio-post

Well, my idea of the signal chain was to put stereo out from line mixer through V amp for virtual amplification and master effect processing, i.e. to use same setting on V amp on all of my gear. If I figured right, V amp and Bass V amp are also effect processors, so why dont use it that why along amp, mic and cabinet emulation? Please correct me if I'm wrong, 'cos as I said, I dont have any experience with virtual amplification.

Faruk

Fat But Fast

Well, my idea of the signal chain was to put stereo out from line mixer through V amp for virtual amplification and master effect processing, i.e. to use same setting on V amp on all of my gear. If I figured right, V amp and Bass V amp are also effect processors, so why dont use it that why along amp, mic and cabinet emulation? Please correct me if I'm wrong, 'cos as I said, I dont have any experience with virtual amplification.

Faruk

They are not stereo in. Again, you'd be better off with a standalone pre and a multieffects unit for this purpose.

"For instance" is not proof.

I have a V amp 2. I used to use a Pod, but I found that the Behringer version gives more of an emphasis on the middle-highs, which for my ears works better for keyboards than the more pronounced middle-lows of the Pod. Be warned that it's hell to program, really convoluted. :)

About the Pro version, I'd go for that, since the base version is quite noisy.

I've found that for me, the best way to patch it into my mixer is to connect it to a subgroup insert. This way, I can assign the relevant channel to that subgroup, and *also* to the main outs if I need to retain some 'clean' signal. I usually set it to use only the preamp simulation (excluding the cabinet simulations), and I categorically shut up the effects, because they sound awful to me. I don't know if the Pro version has better effects, or a better OS.

About going with a real tube preamp, I agree that it's the best route, but you'd need a 'quality' preamp (I'm longing for a Mesa Boogie... :) ). Also, they tend to have that one sound, while with an amp modeler, you can tweak quite a bit.

Carlo

Thanks Marino.

So its either V amp pro on a sub group or good pre then. I'll go to the shop and try it. Recently new shop opened is Sarajevo where you have majority of the Korg and Behringer line on display. Yoooohoooo :D

Thats the start, I cannot wait for them to display some other instruments...

Faruk

Fat But Fast

Faruk, if you do decide to go true tube, check this line/keyboard stereo pedal by Electro Harmonix: LPB_2ube

it's stereo, has two tubes running on 300V , like highend tube micpre's (without the $$$ mic pre circuit). as Marino said, it is one sound, altough, it varies quite a lot with input level. Great for subtle warming, but it can do outright distortion as well.

check it out..

http://www.babic.com - music for film/theatre, audio-post

Archived