Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

to EQ or not to EQ

Pursuitboy

Does anybody out there run their keyboard mixer thru an independent graphic EQ before sending it to the amp? During live gigs I always ran my line mixer into an Alesis 31 band EQ and then on to the Motion Sound KBR3D. I wonder if this is necessary or can I put the 1rackspace to better use. I practice without using an EQ on my keyboards and can hardly tell the difference

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a Peavy 31 band EQ and use it sometimes on my guitar. I do this because I can get some variety of sounds that imitate different guitar types. I've never tried using it on a keyboard. I am curious as to why you would want to do this? I can see if you wanted to brighten up a sound because of acoustics in the room. Is this the reason?

If you like the sounds use them raw, and get another sound module with some other cool sounds. Doesn't the line mixer have some EQ already?

Jazzman :cool:

I use a Behringer DSP 8024 for the keyboard side of my KBR-3D. It makes all the difference in the world in sound quality. I set the mic out in front about 15 feet and let it auto EQ. I remember one place where my KBR was in a corner (was not able to move it to another location). The sound had way to much bass with muddy midrange to the extent that I could not clean it up with the tone controls on the amp. After running it through the 8024, it cleaned it up very well. If I play in a larger place where the KBR is going through a PA, then I don't run the EQ (due to the fact that the equalized sound is also present at the low outs) and use it more as a stage monitor. ;)

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

I think an EQ for live performance is necessary. You're not always going to play in good sounding rooms and some rooms have nasty resonances. You need something to tame that resonance, keep your eq.

Archived