Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nominations for 2003's Keyboard of the Year

felix.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This one is more than conjecture: 2003 Portable Organ/Keyboard of the Year

I suppose I'm biased since I own one. :D But the Media backs me up on it. ;)

PS: The URL is of Japanese origin so it asks to install the Japanese language characters. Just hit cancel and it will direct you to the page. The page is in English btw.

Mike

Mike

This isn't very interesting... if you read the keyboard forums around the web you'll probably gather that the winner would be the Motif ES simply based on the volume of sales and potential sales - seems like everyone owns one or wants one. If this was purely a vote-count thing, Motif ES would win.

It's much more interesting to discuss a company's failures than it's successes because everyone talks about the successes. So how about "Best Discontinued Keyboard of 2003"? My vote would go for the Yamaha 9000 Pro, a powerhouse instrument in a class by itself which Yamaha inexplicably discontinued.

Originally posted by The Pro:

This isn't very interesting... if you read the keyboard forums around the web you'll probably gather that the winner would be the Motif ES simply based on the volume of sales and potential sales - seems like everyone owns one or wants one. If this was purely a vote-count thing, Motif ES would win.

Well, *I* look at the Motif ES and see another me-too ROMpler with (apparently) a very nice soundset. The V-Synth and Ion (which is, admittedly another me-too VA) were far more interesting to me. Not everyone thinks alike, fortunately. ;)

Oh, and I like talking about a company's failures, too, but only because I like to look for the lessons to be learned from them. Look back at all the crappy synths on the "Worst Synths You Ever Owned" list. Do you think their designers ever felt their instruments would one day show up on a list like that? Not likely. Trying to figure out what went wrong is pretty fascinating to me.

r33k

The Neko? Jeez.......it's just a computer running various softsynths with a keyboard attached. It's been vaporware for a long time. Anyone actually see one of these in a store yet?
When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I'm not sure if they all qualify for a 2003 nomination, but I would consider:

The Neuron for innovation

The Nord G2 for features

If softsynths are allowed, also the CA5000 and, for sheer sound quality, the Creamware Pro-One.

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by keynote:

This one is more than conjecture: 2003 Portable Organ/Keyboard of the Year

I suppose I'm biased since I own one. :D But the Media backs me up on it. ;)

PS: The URL is of Japanese origin so it asks to install the Japanese language characters. Just hit cancel and it will direct you to the page. The page is in English btw.

Mike

I think the media is indecisive, or confusing, how does that stack up with the little circular buttons on the right of this page: http://www.clavia.se/nordelectro/index.htm

Originally posted by The Pro:

It's much more interesting to discuss a company's failures than it's successes because everyone talks about the successes. So how about "Best Discontinued Keyboard of 2003"? My vote would go for the Yamaha 9000 Pro, a powerhouse instrument in a class by itself which Yamaha inexplicably discontinued.

Yes, the 9000 Pro seemed quite interesting, a very well-done version for that type of instrument. The Tyros is a sort of 'scaled-back' version of the 9000 Pro, isn't it?

I suspect it was due to lack of sales - after all, it was a niche instrument in the first place, and was also very expensive, I think, wasn't it?

Side note of interest: it seems some of the features of the Yamaha arranger keyboards have been added to the Motif ES, such as MegaVoices, and the ES's accompaniment feautures (I think they're called arpeggios on the ES) seem like they come from the arranger keyboards.

Originally posted by bigbaby987:

motif es...hands down.

Hands down because what- the sound, innovation, playability, fact that you use it more than any other synth in your arsenal ? - tell us why:p !

V-synth, Neuron, Evolver, Motif- those are tough choices. I think we would all love to own all four- which means a good year for synths.

I'd exclude the Neuron, it is unrealistic in that most of us will never buy one (although it is innovative).

let's go down the line here...

Neuron- just plain out of reach

V-synth- also innnovative (less so than the Neuron), and way cool

Evolver- not as innovative as the V-synth, but very clever and sounds like nothin' else

Motif- an excellent rompler, plays great, a winner for the working musician.

To me - the Evolver wins, it has the 'one voice' that I lust after most (even though I prefer chords-and don't own a sin

gle monosynth). :evil:

Archived