Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Peter Gabriel tour

Hi, guys... So, I went to the Staples Center to see the current PG tour last week. I have the current album "Up', which is...okay, I guess. Some Gabriel stuff needs time to fully set in for me...my initial impression is that he's running out of things to say musically, but let's not go there... ;) Anyway, I have to say that I was really surprised by how underwhelmed I was with this show. I thought the song selection wasn't good - way too much new stuff - and that the sound was positively awful. There were more than a few tunes that I actually couldn't hear any of the instruments other than the rhythm loops, drums and vocals - and we had Really Good Seats. Also, it appeared that a lot of the show was "on tape". I didn't dig that... There were a bunch of empty seats, too. I've spoken with a friend of mine who saw the show in Philly who said that he, too, was quite disappointed by the show when he saw it, and that the venue was only a bit more than half-full at his show. I'm wondering if word has gotten around that this show isn't great. Anyone else seen this tour? If so, did you have a better experience? dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A friend of mine who saw the same show you did was very impressed, but she'd never seen Gabriel before and was unprepared for the visual aspects of the show. But another friend gave me the same reaction as you. Doesn't love the new album, felt that much of the show seemed contrived (like, "Tonight, performing in the role of Peter Gabriel...Peter Gabriel!"). Hated the sound at Staples, which generally has decent sound for a venue of its size. Huh. Too bad. - Jeff

I for one LOVE "UP" and loved the show here at the Continental Airlines arena in NJ. I agree the sound could have been better....I kept glaring over at the sound staff in utter puzzlement (great seats for me too), but, all in all, Peter was positively "ON" and you can't knock him for including much new material in the show. It was not a "greatest hits tour, he still has something to say musicaly so how could he not include new material? Now McCartney....that was a spine tingling event!!! 'OL 88'

IMO Gabriel suckled at the tit of pop stardom for the previous two albums. Songs like Sledgehammer, Big Time, Steam and Kiss That Frog and the ensuing tidal wave of hype from the videos made me want to hurl. There was some good material on those albums (Don't Give Up, Digging in the Dirt, In Your Eyes), but they were overshadowed by crap. If he is not selling out the venues, maybe it's because he shunned his loyal long time fans in favor of short term, low attention span MTV fans who quite frankly couldn't care less about him now. They've moved on to something newer and shinier. As for his new record, I like it. I'm not sure yet if there is anything great on it, but at least it sounds like what a PG album should sound like. And that's a good thing. :)
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

[quote]Originally posted by 88Fingerz: [b]Peter was positively "ON" and you can't knock him for including much new material in the show. It was not a "greatest hits tour, he still has something to say musicaly so how could he not include new material?[/b][/quote]Including new material is one thing. I have no problem with that. I just felt that given the vast amount of amazing music from his earlier records that he could have interspersed a few more older tunes - it would have held my interest more. Ther few he did were great - "Red Rain" may have been the best tune of the evening for me. The main thing that bummed me out was the sound, though. It was just awful. I've never heard anything so distorted and so badly mixed. I'm actually not a hyper-critical live sound guy, either - this was just exceptionally bad. It seems to me for what those tickets cost that the least they could have done with their (obviously) state of the art sound system was make sure that people could hear what was going on. Also, PG didn't seem real on the night I saw him...he made several comments about the lack of people at the show - maybe he was bummed... dB

[quote]Originally posted by Dave Bryce: [b]my initial impression is that he's running out of things to say musically [/b][/quote]Although I loved some of his stuff over the years,that pretty much says it for me.I agree with Kahn in that the latest album is in the direction it should be,but it also seems uninspired to me.I listened to it once and just don't want to listen to it again.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

I saw the Staples show as well and I thought it sounded excellent. I'd be curious to find out where DB was sitting. I was about 18 rows up just off center. My only complaint would have been the occassional buried vocal. But with the amount of microphones PG switched between I wasn't too surprised. I like the new record so I was pretty happy to hear the new stuff. That's was a tour is all about isn't it - promoting your new album. I saw the Secret World tour, what 10 years ago, and it may have been a bit more exciting with Paula Cole, and the bigger set. Overall, I was very happy to have spent the money and feel reborn musically. During "Red Rain" I turned to my wife and said this is why I'm a musician . . . . . Rob

Rob Hoffman

http://www.robmixmusic.com

Los Angeles, CA

[quote]Originally posted by AlndLonChaney: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Dave Bryce: [b]my initial impression is that he's running out of things to say musically [/b][/quote]Although I loved some of his stuff over the years,that pretty much says it for me.I agree with Kahn in that the latest album is in the direction it should be,but it also seems uninspired to me.I listened to it once and just don't want to listen to it again.[/b][/quote]Hey... that's a biggest mistake you are doing, AlndLonChaney! ;) This album is not one of those which grab you after the first listen. Just give it a chance and listen to it again. Not necessarily closely, in headphones... just as a background (while surfing the Net, for instance). That was exactly the way how I started to love it.
I am back.

[quote]Originally posted by Gulliver: [b] [quote]Originally posted by AlndLonChaney: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Dave Bryce: [b]my initial impression is that he's running out of things to say musically [/b][/quote]Although I loved some of his stuff over the years,that pretty much says it for me.I agree with Kahn in that the latest album is in the direction it should be,but it also seems uninspired to me.I listened to it once and just don't want to listen to it again.[/b][/quote]Hey... that's a biggest mistake you are doing, AlndLonChaney! ;) This album is not one of those which grab you after the first listen. Just give it a chance and listen to it again. [/b][/quote]See, that's why I'm reserving judgment on the album - that's been the case with more than one Gabriel album for me. PG III is a prime example - I didn't get it at all at first, but it grew on me, a lot and quickly. I'm hoping for the same thing with "Up". Rob, I was in the Premium Seat ring (about 20 rows up, right before the curve). They looked to be great for Lakers games - maybe they're not so premium for a concert...at least, not one in the round :rolleyes: dB

You know what would be an impressiive move by Gabriel? Try naming an album with something other than his own name, or a two-letter word. Of course, he has plenty of records to make before he exhausts those possibilities. - We - Do - Be - Si (the Latin rock CD) - Ha (the comedy album) - Me - Go - To So, PG will be moving up to three-letter albums roughly in 2024, when he's about 78 years old. :D - Jeff

Archived