Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Expression pedal for Electro

mooghead

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Bridog6996:

If the polarity is opposite that of the Electro then it should work in the opposite direction. For example, the heel-down movement would be a swell, rather than the other way around.

With the tip and ring reversed, it most likely stays at full volume.

With the tip and ring reversed, it most likely stays at full volume.
I guess I assumed it would act like a sustain pedal, where if the polarity is reversed, it reacts in reverse (sustains when pedal is up position).

Anywho, I went and bought an Ernie Ball pedal, and it feels pretty good. The only problem is that the change only seems to occur in the top half of the pedal's travel, leaving you with little room to work with. Can I safely modify this somehow?

Hi! I thought Yamaha are diffrent to Roland Pedals.

In the Nord Electro Manual there stands: There is no support for Yamaha. Try one like the Roland EV5 or EV7.

So does this really work? (i have the fc7 and i payed a lot of money (170 pretty similar to ev7)

So is thefc7 ok?

Thanks

I mean there is a wron resistannce (linear or not linear)

This is from the manual:

When connecting an expression-type pedal to the CONTROL PEDAL input, you should use a stereo cable

(Tip-Ring-Sleeve). Please note that the pedal must have a stereo output jack. The resistance range of the

Control Pedal should be 0 to between 10 kOhm and 50 kOhm. Pedals like the Roland EV-5 and control/

expression pedals from Proel works well with the Electro 2. Control/Expression pedals from Yamaha have

different characteristics and are not suitable for use with the Electro 2.

I bought the M-Audio EXP mainly because of price, and have no complaints considering the cost. It has a polarity switch but is very similar to the EV5 in all other ways - except it seems to be a bit more durable. Works great so far!

Jim

PC3X, PC1se, NE2 61, DSI P08, ARP Odyssey MkII 2810, ARP Little Brother, Moog Slim Phatty, Doepfer Dark Energy, Arturia MiniBrute, Microkorg, Motion Sound KP200S,

I have been using the Yamaha FC7 for over a year on my Electro, it replaced the Roland EV-5. The short-throw on the EV-5 was hampering my Hammond style a lot. The FC7 is fantastic.

To clarify what is said above: it does not work on the Electro out of the box, you have to reverse the tip and ring.

You can do this yourself if you are handy with a soldering iron and have plenty of time on your hands.

You can buy an adapter here: http://music.ashbysolutions.com/misc.html

Or you can do what I did before I knew about the adapter -- get a stereo-to-mono adapter, and a mono-to-stereo adapter and plug the right into the left and vice versa. Works great.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Well I returned the Ernie Ball pedal and picked up a MPM VP26 volume pedal. Never even heard of MPM before (in fact, I googled it when I got home and only found one place that sells them online), but the pedal works great. Nice, smooth swell control over the whole range of the pedal's motion, and great throw too. Doesn't seem quite as durable as the EB, but at a price of $30, it's fantastic. Just thought I'd mention it because anyone else looking for an Electro control pedal should check into these. And no special adapters needed.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by ranman:

My Yamaha FC7 pedal (reverse wired)won't take the volume totally to silence when the pedal is in the full "up" position. Has anyone else had this problem. Any solutions?

Mine behaves this way too. I don't mind because that's the way a real Hammond behaves. If I want to fade all the way out, like at the end of a tune, I do it with the drawbars (drawbuttons, really).

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

Originally posted by Dave Pierce:

Originally posted by ranman:

My Yamaha FC7 pedal (reverse wired)won't take the volume totally to silence when the pedal is in the full "up" position. Has anyone else had this problem. Any solutions?

Mine behaves this way too. I don't mind because that's the way a real Hammond behaves. If I want to fade all the way out, like at the end of a tune, I do it with the drawbars (drawbuttons, really).

--Dave

Mine as well. I like it this way because it avoids the "oh crap, my Electro is broken" syndrom if I accidentally kick it to 0. The fact that its just quiet and not "dead" clues me in to what happened everytime.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm very happy with the M-Audio EX-P. It has a polarity switch and is very similar to the Roland EV5 but seems to be built better. The price is definitely right - about $27. If it goes bad - not a real big investment to replace. Just my $.02.
PC3X, PC1se, NE2 61, DSI P08, ARP Odyssey MkII 2810, ARP Little Brother, Moog Slim Phatty, Doepfer Dark Energy, Arturia MiniBrute, Microkorg, Motion Sound KP200S,

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by TinderArts:

Originally posted by eric:

You can buy a $5 add-on to the Yamaha FC7 pedal to switch its polarity without the need to cut or solder.

Eric, do you have a part# ?
http://music.ashbysolutions.com/misc.html

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

Archived