Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Please Yamaha.....make a controller-only version of the S90.....

Wiggum

Hey all,

I absolutely love the Yamaha S90 . It may have the best keyboard action of any instrument I have ever played.

But alas, I don't have $2,000 to spend on a single instrument, and quite honestly, I don't need most of its features. I just want the chassis, the keys, and some basic MIDI functionality. And I don't want to pay more than $1,000 on the street.

The S08 is in this price range, but it's not the same chassis or keyboard action (at least according to my hands). And the older S80 could be had for a similar price, but it's definitely not the same keyboard action. There is a bounce back at the bottom of the keybed, which makes it difficult for me to play legato passages.

As synths (and studios) become more computer-oriented, the need for a new type of controller emerges. I don't need a controller for live performance (which is what many controllers are designed for). I don't need 16 overlapping zones, 8 foot pedal inputs, and a large sysex buffer for storing settings. I need a playable keyboard that I can connect to my computer sequencer, and control my VSTi's and MIDI modules. If I can choose a velocity curve, aftertouch sensitivity, and the basic output channel, I'm good to go.

So here is a quick roadmap of what a Yamaha "M90" could be:

• Delete the entire sound engine (ROM sample memory, D/A converters, etc.) and the analog outputs
  • Delete the 240x64 backlit LCD and replace it with the S80's 80x2 display
  • Delete the collection of buttons on the righthand side of the instrument (the buttons used for selecting patches)
  • Delete the media card slot on the back
  • Delete the PLG expansion board bus
  • Keep the four control sliders (just left of the LCD), and add some continuous rotary controllers (preferably with LED crowns like the Nord 3 , but if they are cost prohibitive, I can live without them)
  • Keep at least one continuous foot controller input, and at least 2 foot switch inputs (sustain pedal and assignable pedal)
  • Keep the alpha dial, the cursor pad, and the increment / decrement buttons (a numeric keypad would be nice, but not necessary)
  • Maintain the ability for 4 keyzones (I don't need them, but others might)
  • Install a simple memory (16 to 32 locations) for storing set-ups
  • If cost permits, add another modulation wheel (identical to the existing wheel)
  • If cost permits, relocate the pitch / mod wheels to be aligned with the keyboard, rather than at the top of instrument
  • Keep the front panel simple and clean, so that we can place third party knob / slider controllers on the surface (e.g. Encore Knobby, Slidemate, Keyfax Phatboy, etc.)
  • Provide a simple operating system with access to output channels, continuous controller settings, velocity curves, and aftertouch curves
  • Sell it at a street price of $1,000 (or less)

I would buy one today.....

I fully realize that hardware instruments are largely dictated by hardware content (and not the software and development that goes into them). But by deleting the above content, I would think the price could approach $1,000. And for those of us who never intend to play live, who have plenty of sounds (through soft synths or MIDI modules), and who simply want a great keyboard, the M90 would be perfect.

So how about it guys?

Wiggum

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I can choose a velocity curve, aftertouch sensitivity, and the basic output channel, I'm good to go.
You might consider a used KX88. These are selling under $500 and have the excellent Yamaha action, plus many other nice controller features.

But alas, I don't have $2,000 to spend on a single instrument
You could find an S90 for a lot less than $2000 - some online dealers have them in the $1600 range. Not bad to invest that extra $600 above the $1000 you are willing to spend in exchange for all the great sounds and expansion capability.

We don't see the "Big 3" manufacturers doing a whole lot with pro controller keyboards these days - it is pretty much the battle of the workstations, between the Tritons, Fantoms and Motifs that are consuming the bandwidth of the folks looking to buy advanced keyboards. Also, the digital piano market is pretty hot - you might look into one of the digital pianos to see if it might meet your needs (though aftertouch is not easy to find on a digital piano).

Compared to what was available a couple of years ago in the sub-$2000 range, I am very happy with what the S90 offers and think that it is worth every penny. The idea of an "M90" is interesting - just not sure if there is a wide enough market to justify it.

Regards,

Eric

I hear you Eric.....

It does seem that most of the attention is spent in the workstation market.

Don't get me wrong....

I love the S90's soundset. Particularly the acoustic piano. But it's not essential to my studio, and it's nothing I can't recreate with my other instruments.

There are budget controllers that I could consider (Fatar in particular), but they are always missing something.

I absolutely have to have pitch / mod wheels (which a digital piano won't often have), and I don't want a pitch stick (ala Korg or Roland).

But above all, I want a superb action (which the S90 definitely has). I don't like the Kurzweil / Fatar actions nearly as much, and while Roland actions are decent, they don't have anything in this price range (and nothing with pitch / mod wheels).

Here's to hope :)

Wiggum

the older S80 could be had for a similar price, but it's definitely not the same keyboard action. There is a bounce back at the bottom of the keybed, which makes it difficult for me to play legato passages.

what does the S90 do at the bottom of the keybed?

i have an s80 and i like that it is capable of recovering quickly.

i've tried some 'piano' type actions that just seem to sit sluggishly at the bottom and take forever to recover.

Archived