Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roger Troutman - Master of the Talkbox!

zapp_music

I was wondering if there were any Roger Troutman (Zapp) fans here at the Keyboard forum?

I thought I would post up some information on Roger's talkbox sound since I've been seeing some past posting about vocoders.

Roger didn't use vocoders he used talkboxes, they are two different sounds and effects. He used a Minimoog Synthesizer in the early years with a Golden Throat talkbox then later switching to the digital Yamaha DX100 Digital Programmable Algorithm Synthesizer.

It seem people like Peter Frampton and Joe Walsh are given credit for this talkbox sound effect and always over looking Roger Troutman. Those two guys only put the talkbox sound on maybe 1 or 2 songs... when you have Roger who revolutionized the sound on numerous songs (more bounce to the sounce, dance floor, i can make you dance, heartbreaker, etc.) and he should be given credit for bringing the talkbox to the forefront and seen as a single instrument to learn to play.

Talkbox makers in there descriptions of their talkboxes always mention Frampton, Walsh and Aerosmith and never once include Roger Troutman.

I wonder why?

The Minimoog Synthesizer and Yamaha Dx100... are great synth for that analogue sound. Plus on the Dx100 you can re-create Moog sounds from the Moog line of synths exactly in tone and sound. So I have the best of both worlds.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by zapp_music:

The Minimoog Synthesizer and Yamaha Dx100... are great synth for that analogue sound. Plus on the Dx100 you can re-create Moog sounds from the Moog line of synths exactly in tone and sound. So I have the best of both worlds.

I'm confused. Is this sarcasm or are you about to become a troll?

Could you send me an mp3 of one of your DX100 sounds that sounds exactly like a Moog sound?

"For instance" is not proof.

I can't argue with any of the stuff you said about the DX100 or any of those instruments. But back when Roger was vogue, I was the biggest critic of his music. I hated the way he had that noise on every song. I thought he should have 'hit it and quit it' like Earth, Wind and Fire did on "Let's Groove". But now that he's gone, I'm saying he didn't make enough of it. :( Kcbass

"Let It Be!"

Yes, Roger did use the talkbox alot in his career it was his "signature trademark sound" he was known for. But he was also a very talented musician playing guitar, bass, harmonica, keyboard, banjo, sax, flute... he was a REAL musician 24/7.

And yes it is possible to make a DX100 sound identical to a Minimoog synthesizer. I should know, I have used both and have the parameters settings to make it happen on your Dx100.

Ok, confession time...Roger is my dad...my real dad!

No seriously, I kinda felt this way when I was in high school and me and some friends went to see Parliament, Roger opened, and I felt like....damn, that's the funk father I never had!

He indeed played all the instruments, played the harmonica better than Stevie Wonder(his idol), and played guitar almost as well as Michael & Gary from P-Funk....amazing amazing performer. He perfected the audience participation(crowd chant) style of stagemanship that George Clinton started, and still used by rapper Doug E. Fressh today. God I wish there was a live DVD....or even a bootleg concert somewhere!

As far as the talkbox and Rogers claim to fame, Im thinking it's guitar snobs that keep him down more than anything. Talk Box was a guitar staple until Roger came along. Everyone else in funk music..EW&F, Herbie, Midnight Star etc, were using Vocoders as previously mentioned.

TROLL . . . ish.

The DX100 sounds nothing like like a Mini.

That said, I did shows with a band on the same bill as Zapp tons of times when Roger was using a Mini and later the Yamaha. Once run through the talk box, the differences weren't that important. The idea was to cover the melody and groove of the part. Take away the talk box and he never would have switched.

Originally posted by zapp_music:

And yes it is possible to make a DX100 sound identical to a Minimoog synthesizer. I should know, I have used both and have the parameters settings to make it happen on your Dx100.

OK, so then could you post the parameters? An unqualified statement like this in a completely unsolicited thread should be subject to a little scrutiny, wouldn't you say?

"For instance" is not proof.

Originally posted by meccajay:

Ok, confession time...Roger is my dad...my real dad!

No seriously, I kinda felt this way when I was in high school and me and some friends went to see Parliament, Roger opened, and I felt like....damn, that's the funk father I never had!

He indeed played all the instruments, played the harmonica better than Stevie Wonder(his idol), and played guitar almost as well as Michael & Gary from P-Funk....amazing amazing performer. He perfected the audience participation(crowd chant) style of stagemanship that George Clinton started, and still used by rapper Doug E. Fressh today. God I wish there was a live DVD....or even a bootleg concert somewhere!

As far as the talkbox and Rogers claim to fame, Im thinking it's guitar snobs that keep him down more than anything. Talk Box was a guitar staple until Roger came along. Everyone else in funk music..EW&F, Herbie, Midnight Star etc, were using Vocoders as previously mentioned.

Remember when Sinbad did those concerts in Jamaica? Roger was on one of them. He had about a 20 minute run. Funky can't start to describe him. If I play my cards right, I can get a copy from the ex. I'll dub it and send you a copy. I can send it General Delivery! Kcbass

"Let It Be!"

Originally posted by Kcbass: If I play my cards right, I can get a copy from the ex. I'll dub it and send you a copy. I can send it General Delivery! Kcbass[/QB]
And I would be truely indebted sir! Email me if you can manage that... meccajay7@yahoo.com.

If not, I appreciate the effort just the same! :thu:

TROLL . . . ish.

zeronyne, I would be happy to send you the parameters of one of the sounds used on the minimoog you can copy on the DX100. What's your email?

Also, meccajay and kcbass if it's concert footage of ZAPP and Roger you're looking for I have tons of it dating back to 1983 to 1998, plus Zapp music videos, tv performances, concerts, and interviews. Email me at zapp_music@peoplepc.com. And it's free too.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I think the reason why Roger is rarely mentioned wrt talkbox is that he came much later.

Stevie Wonder used a talkbox on the 1972 LP Music of My Mind... esp on the track "I Love Having You Around".

Joe Walsh and Frampton were 1975 or so... in fact I think Joe had the first one in 1971.

Herbie Hancock was using a talkbox on Doin' It in 1975..

As far as I know Zapp were more of a 1980s outfit.

Wrt the DX100, I hope nobody is saying that it sounds like a Moog, because clearly it doesn't. however Roger did prefer using it as th carrier signal... to me thats not the same as saying they sound a like... its just a preference for a carrier signal, which lets face it isn't the same as hearing a synth in full flight.

+1 on that danimuschi. In a sea of 80s BS music, Zapp & Roger kept the dance floor bumpin', talkbox, synths and all. Computer Love!

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Archived