Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Carvin keyboard amps - any experience?

Bubbajazz

I'm thinking of upgrading my keyboard amping. Primarily studio with other musicians, but I'd also like to have a gigging amp for small - mid-size club type settings.

Anyone have any Carvin experience - notably the practice (100w) amp vs. the 1000w models - especially the one with 2 - 10"s. The forum searches seemed mostly focused on specs. I am most interested in any experience with them, since I have never actually heard them. Thanks.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have had the KB1015 for over a year now and I love it. Lots of clean power, plenty of volume, and great EQ.

The only knock against the 1015 is the lack of quality control in their cross-over panels. I am on my 3rd crossover panel. On the plus side, Carvin sent me a new cross-over panel every time one went bad with no questions asked. (However, this last time I had a local tech fix it and it has been fine ever since.)

Mitch

My band Thousand Houses: www.thousandhouses.com

I have often wondered what a hi-fi(not guitar amp) all tube path would do for keys. Of course a Hammond and Leslie setup is all tube and we know how good that can sound. Carvin has a new tube power amp that I would like to hear a keyboard rig through to compare it to what I'm currently using, which is a Mackie 808S and C300 speakers.

Some may say just the right pre-amp will make the biggest difference - more so that the power amp. a great pre-amp with a nice tube amp is bound to be smokin'

Day

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

I've already got a Motion Sound Pro-3/Lo-Pro combo, which I like for organ patches. I'm looking for a clearer sound for the rest. Sometimes dirt is nice. Sometimes not.

I've considered the hi-fi route. And I haven't ruled it out. It's tough to find the right balance between speakers suitable for studio and live.

Archived