Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

CES+NAMM = >dB

Dave Bryce

AS those of you who read the NFL threrad know, I have back-to bacvk trade shows CES in Vegas, followed immediately by NAMM in Anaheim) for the next two weeks.

As usual, I will have my laptop with me, however (also as usual) the amount of time that I'll be able to dedicate to posting will be diminished.

I'd be most happy if our esteemed de facto guest moderator Geoff Grace would be kind enough to do that voodoo that he do so well for the next week and a half...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One down, one to go.

The hotel where I stayed in Vegas didn't have hi-speed internet, so I stayed offline for a few days. Hopefully, the one in Anaheim will be better... :rolleyes:

So, who wants to be guest moderator while Geoff and I are at NAMM?

dB

Originally posted by TinderArts:

dB, I can't make NAMM this year. :cry:

If I can help, count me in.

:cool:

I'll be gone from Wednesday morning until Sunday night. During that period, she's all yours, Bill. :thu:

Sorry, Jeebs - TinderArts beat ya to it...oh, and get yer tongue out of that ball... :eek:;)

dB

One of my cats had expressed interest in moderating the forum, but as it turns out, she'd already accepted a position doing multimedia production at Chiat-Day.

http://home.earthlink.net/~jeffannak/yokoface.jpg

They're paying her $175,000, but the irony is that it's all in cat food.

Anyway, I'll tell her Bill's got it covered.

- Jeff

Bill, I was hoping to see you at NAMM. Sorry you can't make it.

Jeff, I guess vomiting on gear pays after all. The client probably wanted that Jackson Pollock aesthetic in the work somehow. :P:D

Dave, does you doing CES mean ADAM is after more of a presence in the U.S. home hi-fi market?

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Originally posted by Stephen Fortner:

Dave, does you doing CES mean ADAM is after more of a presence in the U.S. home hi-fi market?

Yep. Klaus' background is much more hi-fi oriented than studio based, and he wants to see the hi-fi stuff do as well as the studio line.

Nutty bunch of folks, those audiophiles. I actually had some guy ask me how long we had broken in the electronics for before using them at the show... :eek:

dB

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

I actually had some guy ask me how long we had broken in the electronics for before using them at the show... :eek:

Ahhh, to be that spoiled that you could know the difference (he said as he listened to some Dave McKenna through a crappy pair of Teac consumer speakers).

Originally posted by Phil B:

I actually had some guy ask me how long we had broken in the electronics for before using them at the show... :eek:

Ahhh, to be that spoiled that you could know the difference
I was actually blown away by how many of these guys believe that better power cords make a difference, and that you should also use little stands to raise your über-expensive interconnect cables up off the floor.

If these things make a difference, neither I nor my wallet want to know about it... ;)

dB

...and that you should also use little stands to raise your über-expensive interconnect cables up off the floor.

(Jeff reads this and then is violently ill)

Gag...sigh...puke...ech...pffft...

After having spoken to a few guys like Mark Levinson, I know the mindset of the audiophile. It's just...so...wrong.

- Jeff

Ahhh, to be that spoiled that you could know the difference
I was actually blown away by how many of these guys believe that better power cords make a difference, and that you should also use little stands to raise your über-expensive interconnect cables up off the floor.

If these things make a difference, neither I nor my wallet want to know about it... ;)

dB

Oh wow. My home stereo speakers are connected with 50-year old copper strands ripped out of a phone cable. Is that bad? Should I lift them off the floor? Or disentangle them from the extension cord in my 30-amp power circuit? ;)

:P

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Dave, did you see anything cool at CES?

Yeah - the Eagles game... ;):D

In all seriousness - I didn't walk the show floor at all. I was busy, and when I wasn't busy I was watching the games.

dB

You know, I am one of the biggest naysayers of crap like this in the world.

BUT.

I was in a studio last month that had just switched to all hospital-grade power cables (the dealer had lent them out looking for an endorsement). I DEFINITELY noticed the difference when I a/b'ed the Genelecs there with normal and high-end power cable. It wasn't something subtle at all. The high end was much less brittle. In fact, it was so noticable that you could replace just one power cord and hear the difference between the left and right monitors.

I'm not sure if this is due to some poor power regulation on the part of the internal power amp, but, as Dave said, if it really does make this much difference, my wallet doesn't want to know about it. This cable was $70.00 per foot.

"For instance" is not proof.

Originally posted by zeronyne:

I was in a studio last month that had just switched to all hospital-grade power cables (the dealer had lent them out looking for an endorsement). I DEFINITELY noticed the difference when I a/b'ed the Genelecs there with normal and high-end power cable.

Cable issues notwithstanding, the effect of clean, well-regulated, properly grounded power on sound quality is one that's severely neglected. It can indeed make a huge difference.

- Jeff

Archived