Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Job Search

JimmieWannaB

Shortly after the first of the year, I'll be joining the ranks of the unemployed. Sony has announced plans to reduce head count by 20,000 worldwide and I learned unofficially that I'll be bringing that requirement down to 19,999. I began my job search about a month ago to avoid being caught totally unprepared.

While it's a long shot, I thought I might use the forum as part of my search. A number of forum members appear to be in related fields, so I thought they may be able to help out. Any contacts or openings that you can send my way would be greatly appreciated. I am not restricting my search to Silicon Valley or even the U.S. for that matter. Here is a link to my resume:

Resume - Technical Marketing/Marketing Support Manager

Dave,

If this comes under the heading of spam or is an inappropriate use of the forum, please feel free to delete the posting.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by JimmieWannaB:

Dave,

If this comes under the heading of spam or is an inappropriate use of the forum, please feel free to delete the posting.

No problem, Ken. This comes under the heading of friends helping friends. :thu:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Not much I can do, since I'm in another country, but best of luck with the job search.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Ken,

Best of luck to you. Having been there, I can sympathize. I hope that the small signs of the market picking up are actually true, so that this goes faster for you than it did for me!

One suggestion. I reviewed your resume, and didn't walk away with a clear sense of what you are looking for. Can you maybe be more specific about the types of training you managed? (Target audience and course material?) Also, naming the specific products for which you were a PM would help. This is probably good resume advice in general. It will also help me to keep my ears open for you around the valley.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

One suggestion. I reviewed your resume, and didn't walk away with a clear sense of what you are looking for. Can you maybe be more specific about the types of training you managed? (Target audience and course material?) Also, naming the specific products for which you were a PM would help. This is probably good resume advice in general. It will also help me to keep my ears open for you around the valley.
Dave, thanks for the feedback. You're assessment is very valid. Since I looking for anything that is marketing support related (product management, training or service), the resume does come off a bit broad. Based on actual job I'm applying for, I send out one of three versions that focuses more on the position. It may be a mistake, but I specifically avoided product names to avoid narrowing my focus to professional video which, believe it or not, is a dying industry. Most of the people I send the resume to probably never heard of Aurora Systems or my product, Aurora Liberty.

Dave, thanks for the feedback. You're assessment is very valid. Since I looking for anything that is marketing support related (product management, training or service), the resume does come off a bit broad. Based on actual job I'm applying for, I send out one of three versions that focuses more on the position. It may be a mistake, but I specifically avoided product names to avoid narrowing my focus to professional video which, believe it or not, is a dying industry. Most of the people I send the resume to probably never heard of Aurora Systems or my product, Aurora Liberty.
Gotcha. I'll definitely ask around the Product Management types I know. The startup where I'm consulting is in a ramp-up mode, although they've also been largely in "hire people we used to know" mode. But they've got to run out of unemployed ex-colleagues sooner or later. ;)

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Ken,

What a great resume! And a fellow UC Berkeley Grad -- rah! :)

I just got out of this loop (unemployment) six months ago, after a nine-month search where I tried to stay in place (the state I was in is basically going down the tubes all the way around). It happens these days to the best of us, don't take it personally.

This may sound unappealing, but the defense industry, the energy industry and the health "care" (I prefer to think of it as the "illness and accident exploit") industry are probably good short-term targets, if you want to stay in this country (a serious thing to reconsider, long term; the US is likely to fall quickly behind the rest of the world in many areas over the next five years). You might want to absorb some of your free time playing the Lockheed-Martin Lotto (aka job application system), or more directly, go to some defense suppliers locally and see what they have. L-M seems particularly rich with the need for hardware-oriented program managers these days, though. See if you can find a better way than turning into a needle in a haystack there.

If that all sounds unappetizing, you might want to consider somewhere where the AC power supply cycles at a more leisurely 50Hz. Australia and New Zealand have their appeal, as well as Canada, if you need to stay within the confines of european culture; otherwise, China and many parts of southeast Asia (South Korea in particular) are probably great bets, if you can find the right people. Lots of opportunity and growth all around, there. Help the South Koreans replace the Japanese in the world economy if you wish (or at least the cost-efficient part of the auto and electronics industries), to get your revenge. ;) Today, Sony and Toyota; tomorrow, Samsung and Hyundai -- help make it happen!

In general keep spirits up, even if the job situation doesn't look like it's moving yet it's WAY better now than it was in the depths of 2001-2002, hopefully it will keep improving.

Use this as an opportunity to do something you really want to do, too, I agree with DaveB, looks like you need to figure that out before you do anything else. Maybe you don't need a lot of money, just a lot of time to start your new career in a blues or jazz band with your B3. :)

rt

PRO Video is a dying industry?!? Can you elaborate on this a bit? I thought we were just at the beginning of what is possible in PRO vid what with all the digital stuff now going on! :freak:
This way, no, wait, that way!

PRO Video is a dying industry?!? Can you elaborate on this a bit? I thought we were just at the beginning of what is possible in PRO vid what with all the digital stuff now going on!
Odd as it seems, just as digital is poised to take off, manufacturers are in trouble. The top three - Sony, Panasonic and GVG-Thomson - are all in downsizing mode. On top of the 911 hit that hurt every industry, they're dealing with the fact that digital hasn't taken off as quickly as hoped. To make matters worse, analog sales have essentially dried up. No one wants to buy "outdated" analog gear but, at the same time, they're in a wait and see mode with digital.

It will eventually pick up but in the meantime, there will be a large number of pro video people, myself included, out looking for work.

Use this as an opportunity to do something you really want to do, too, I agree with DaveB, looks like you need to figure that out before you do anything else.
What I really want to do is product management. After over 20 years, I'm fried on service and training. With just two years of actual product management experience, however, I have to decide whether I'm ready to take a cut in pay to do that. It's not an easy decision - my daughter started USC this year with minimal grants and scholarships. If it wasn't for that, I'd use my separation package to pay off my ex-wife and my bills so I could change my lifestyle and go for a PM job, lower paying or not.

Maybe you don't need a lot of money, just a lot of time to start your new career in a blues or jazz band with your B3.
I wish I played well enough to do that. However, given that my 12-15 hour work days will have come to an end, I do plan on putting a lot more time into practicing. I've probably put no more than 20 hours on the B3 since I picked it up in late August.

There's a BIG reason a lot of people aren't into buying $1500 TVs etc. these days. The technology change is so rapid, what you paid top dollar for four months ago is totally out of date and overpriced for what you got four months after you got it.

When plasma TVs are out for $300 and digital 12 megapixel still cameras are out for $300, then let the rush begin. Until then, er, I'm not going to pay $9,000 for a plasma TV, and I'm not going to buy LCD anything for anything that has edges and moves. :)

rt

For those confused by digital video, I thought I'd post a quote I found while cleaning out my desk this morning. (I'm not leaving yet - just starting to weed through my junk.)

TV is not really complicated but is kept in a state of confusion by the engineers who use obtuse terms to hide their ignorance.

EC Johnson - 1949

Archived