Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Midi Drum modules?

hangee_77

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Originally posted by RaGe:

Miles Davis used the cheesiest DX7 patches.

Yeah, he did. I tried to help him with that when I worked for him, but he'd have none of it. I figured he just didn't know his way around it, but that wasn't the case - he actually liked those sounds he used. :rolleyes:

dB

You worked for him? wow that's down right kewl

Originally posted by tom fiala:

Rabid...thanks for your advice. I just ordered the PX-7 (from Same Day Music $670 + free shipping). I'll let y'all know how I like it.

Be sure to check out the XL-7 Yahoo group. There are some nice files to download including quick start information and common questions answered which is very handy.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by RaGe:

You worked for him? wow that's down right kewl

Yep - I was keyboard tech for Miles, Robert Erving and Adam Holzman during the Tutu tour. I did Mino Cinelu's electronic percussion rig, too. Interesting experience, to be sure...

...but I don't mean to derail this thread. Carry on...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by tom fiala:

Rabid...thanks for your advice. I just ordered the PX-7 (from Same Day Music $670 + free shipping). I'll let y'all know how I like it.

So how do you like it? And please feel free say anything good or bad. I have considered getting a PX-7 to go with my XL-7 so I would have a few more available expansion slots. I really like the OS and sequencer of the box but am still a bit unsure if I like the drum sounds when compared to the Roland SRX board.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I'm just getting to start to use the new Px-7. Overall, I'm pleased with the sounds for the acoustic drums. That was my main need, and I think it's covered well here. The basses and electronica are not as strong, but then, that's what the other ROM's are for. At this point, I am only at the point of programming basic patterns, and haven't yet explored the arpeggiator or BEATS features nor have I tried to download stuff to it through the e-loader. (Maybe next week...)

But so far, I'd give it two thumbs up. Incidentally, my first unit had a pad on it that double triggered...Same Day music sent a replacement out pronto, and covered the return shipping, with no hassle - you can't beat that for service!

Tom F.

"It is what it is."

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Originally posted by Michael Erwin:

Dave, you come across as far too defensive sometimes, especially when an Alesis product that came out under your watch gets a less then steller review from one of us. What EM, SoS or anbody else has to say about the DM Pro doesn't change the experience I had playing it in the store. It's not a personal attack on you when some of us decide we don't like the DM Pro or anything else with an Alesis badge. We love ya, man! Don't take it personally! :thu:

Understood and appreciated.

The DM Pro isn't just a product that came out under my watch, though - it was my idea to make it. Not only that, it really came out quite the way that I hoped it would. Consequently, I hope you'll understand if I seem to be somewhat protective of it, and maybe more disappointed than I should be when I hear it panned...

Also (if I may), I think you tend to come across a bit more negatively than perhaps you realize sometimes, Michael...saying that the default kits were "just awful" and that it made you want to run out of the store with your fingers in your ears is a bit stronger than "less than stellar", doncha think?

Is it possible that if someone spoke about your work in those terms that perhaps you might get a bit defensive as well? ;)

dB

Is the DM-PRO still available new in the box?
This way, no, wait, that way!

Originally posted by mikegrijak:

Is the DM-PRO still available new in the box?

No.

It's 16MB of ROM consisted of two different custom 8MB chips that were not used in any other Alesis product. SInce it costs a whole bunch to do small chip runs (most foundries don't even want to do them at any price), the DM Pro was killed.

The DG-8 (which sported three custom 8MB chips that weren't usaed in any other product) died for the same reason.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Hanjaya, you might also want to check out our discussion of drum modules in this thread:

Looking for a great drum module. Any suggestions?

(My comments in that thread are under the displayed name of soapbox.)

FWIW, I use and enjoy the DM Pro. I also use a lot of drum sample libraries as well.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Archived