Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Synth Recommendation?

Odyssian

Hey-ya!

It looks like I'm in a band again. :) It's just me and the drummer that practiced tonight (our first practice), but a bass player will be joining us Thursday as well. We'll be playing all original music that is sort of in the prog and/or fusion genre.

I'm thinking I need a synth that would give me nice distorted sounds - probably dist. guitar and dist. organ sounds, but also cool, thick, grungy synth sounds. If this synth can do analog style sounds, that would be great. That way I could leave the Korg Prophecy out of the equation (one less synth to carry! :D ). I would like this synth to be polyphonic.

I know this is a vague description of what I want. That's because I don't really know what I want. LOL!!!!

So... any ideas? :confused:

Thanks!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Odyssian:

Hey-ya!

It looks like I'm in a band again. :) It's just me and the drummer that practiced tonight (our first practice), but a bass player will be joining us Thursday as well. We'll be playing all original music that is sort of in the prog and/or fusion genre.

I'm thinking I need a synth that would give me nice distorted sounds - probably dist. guitar and dist. organ sounds, but also cool, thick, grungy synth sounds. If this synth can do analog style sounds, that would be great. That way I could leave the Korg Prophecy out of the equation (one less synth to carry! :D ). I would like this synth to be polyphonic.

I know this is a vague description of what I want. That's because I don't really know what I want. LOL!!!!

So... any ideas? :confused:

Thanks!

If you can afford the Roland V Combo , it just may be your ticket .

What's your price range ?

How many keys ? Synth action ? etc..... :wave:

www.esnips.com/web/SongsfromDanO

Originally posted by Odyssian:

... I'm thinking I need a synth that would give me nice distorted sounds - probably dist. guitar and dist. organ sounds, but also cool, thick, grungy synth sounds. If this synth can do analog style sounds, that would be great...

For a low cost you might consider the Emu Vintage Pro keyboard. As more expensive alternative might be something in the Korg Triton/TritonLE/Karma line. Either way consider using an external processer to help with the distortion. Maybe one of the decent guitar boxes like the Line6 Pod.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Oops sorry, I was really tired when I typed my last post and forgot to mention some details. I would like to keep the purchase in the "bargain" category - say less than $700. I have no problems buying used gear. I'd like a 5 octave keyboard, a lighter key action, and built in effects would be nice.

Thanks for the recommendations so far, I'll checkout the EMU Vintage Pro if I can find one locally. How does the Line 6 Pod fare with synths? I'm not familiar with these...

Also, what do you think about Novation stuff? I've seen some of these go relatively cheap on ebay, but those were rack mounts. I'd rather have keys.

Thanks... :cool:

The Vintage Keys has a keyboard version called the VK-6. For $700, you could probably net one new and have enough left over for your distortion. You can simply route your synth through the distortion, you'll just want to keep your input gain low because a synth has a much hotter output than a guitar.

Less versatile than a Pod but cheaper would be one of Tech-21's SansAmp models. This won't give you all the processing and effects of the Pod, it's more of a classic distortion box with amp and mic simulation. If something Pod-like works for you, also check out the me-too products from Johnson and Behringer. A used Digitech RP-model would give you good multi-effects under foot control, but you'd have to program it because all their presets are overdone. Also watch the power supply connectors on those.

If you want something really different, the Danelectro wah- the one shaped like a car- has various combinations of wah, distortion, and octave. It sounds really good, it's flexible, and cheap.

Don't know if jou also want say organ sounds and good piano's etc. if you don't check out roland jd-800. it can do very nasty sounds, very cool leads.

otherwise maybe used korg trinity/triton or something.

Rudy

Interesting! Thanks dementia13, that's a lot of things to consider. I really don't keep up with all the latest gear really, so all of these effects (including the Pod) are new to me. I've never tried them. If I did go the synth and separate effects route, I'd probably want something that does a lot more than one effect, so I guess that would be the Pod or similar (I assume the Pod does multieffects). Looks like I have some reading to do. :)

Hi ohtar, (looks like we posted at the same time), I actually do have a JD800. I like it's distortion effect too, but I was thinking something newer would be even more versatile. For instance, my Korg Oasys has a lot more types of usable distortion (IMO) and the organ and guitar sounds on that are really great. I just don't want to haul my computer around to play it! ;)

Well, then get a Z1! YOu can find them in your price range and, as you well know from being an OASYS, the synth and EP sounds on it are top notch. Perhaps that feels a bit redundant to you. I would understand that.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Heya Magpel,

Nah, I don't think it's redundant at all. In fact, it might be just the ticket. I do like the idea of the Z1's X/Y pad. I've never played one though. I also don't know what the distortion sounds like on it. I know the Oasys sounds clearer, and also can sound more gritty and powerful than my Prophecy. That may be due to the polyphony, or perhaps better effects. I dunno...

This band actually may wind up guitarless and as much as I love the sonic power of a dist. guitar, I would want to get a synth that really sounds great doing those types of sounds. If I can get that, and have it do good analog synth sounds, that would be great.

:thu:

Right off hand, the Korg Z1 has kind of yucky reverb but is a better overall synthesizer, covering the analog as well as modelled stuff well, plus it has some nice controllers such as the touch sensitive X-Y pad. The Novation has a slightly sweeter sound, some would say much sweeter, especially the filters. All of the keyboards have more polyphony. Comparing VAs is very hard, but on the essentials, the Z1 is more versatile.
This keyboard solo has obviously been tampered with!

I think I have the Z1's competitor, Yammy's CS6x. It's really worth checking out, although the emphasis is more on the analogish stuff. Acoustic piano's suck, EPs are good (and great if you edit), organs are reasonable (and good if you edit), distorted guitars ROCK...

The Z1 is cool too. I just can't stand it's too much grey color, but it sounds great.

Novation stuff has OS stability problems, at least that's what I read on the net.

http://www.bobwijnen.nl

Hipness is not a state of mind, it's a fact of life.

Of course I'm a bit biased, but I'd highly recommend an EX5, especially if you want the best electric guitar/bass sounds you can get in a synth. The EX5's FDSP "electric guitar pickup" algorithm is amazing (so is the "e.p. pickup" for Rhodes sounds). The EX5 also excels at the gritty organ sounds you need, e.p.'s, and acoustic pianos (if you load some free 3rd party sounds).

You also get an integrated Yamaha AN engine (capable of layered sounds like the AN1x, which the PLG150AN card can't do), though it's only duophonic. You also get the Yamaha VL (virtual acoustic) engine.

And if I may brag a bit, you'd be extremely well supported at EX5Tech. We have tons of very high quality samples, patches, and utilities for the EX5, along with an active discussion forum, and it's all free.

Best of luck with whatever you decide upon.

Archived