Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tony Banks recommended buy . . .

shniggens

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Taste differs.

Banks best work is his stuff with Genesis. His solo stuff is a bit like Wakeman's ... nice in places.

I like A Curious Feeling the best. Still is very pop almost reminiscent of english New Wave with banksian harmonies. (somebody is going to disagree with me here, I'm sure.)

A Curious Feeling is very much like Wind and Wuthering. It's more epic in proportion though very introspective as Banks tends to be. And of course there are those georgous harmonies. Synth pads galore. Motivic development and logic tricks in high gear.

The only thing this album lacks (imo) to be outstanding is a stronger rhythm section. Yet it's engaging in it's own understated way.

Jerry

Originally posted by Tusker:

Taste differs.

Banks best work is his stuff with Genesis. His solo stuff is a bit like Wakeman's ... nice in places.

I like A Curious Feeling the best. Still is very pop almost reminiscent of english New Wave with banksian harmonies. (somebody is going to disagree with me here, I'm sure.)

It's me who disagrees! :D

Actually I agree that Still is very pop, but it's a very good pop for this matter. Impeccable arrangements, great guest singers (including Fish on two songs), awesome rhythm section(!) to boot.

A mini-epic "Another Murder of a Day" is one of Tony's best songs ever (sung by Fish, btw).

A Curious Feeling is a great record and I like it too... But for some weird reason I prefer Still.

:)

I am back.

Archived