Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

sonar 3!!!

schmoron13

I just got an email from cakewalk to upgrade to sonar 3...

Normally, I'd say: "great, I'll just log on to kazaa and get it," but since I've gone legit, I looked at the feature set and I dunno, it's seems like fluff. Sure some of the features are cool, but it seems like user interfaces are starting to resemble cars in that all of them are looking more and more the same. I kind of like the fact that each software has its own look.

Also, I like how they got rid of normal and XL versions, and now just have "studio" and "normal" flavors :rolleyes:

though $180 for an upgrade seems a bit steep. I just got 2.22xl and so I'm still just learning the interface, but anyone feel like 3.0 is more 2.33 with a new UI? Well at least this shows that cakewalk is constantly working!!

any comments? :D

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by schmoron13:

I just got an email from cakewalk to upgrade to sonar 3...

Also, I like how they got rid of normal and XL versions, and now just have "studio" and "normal" flavors :rolleyes:

any comments? :D

I agree that renaming Studio vs. Producer is more marketing than anything. It probably has it's origin in too many people asking whether they need XL or not - maybe they think the Producer moniker will solve that (I particularly don't think so).

I'm going to upgrade - some cool features are in there.

It's interesting that both Cubase and Sonar are releasing updates around the same time.

Originally posted by schmoron13:

anyone feel like 3.0 is more 2.33 with a new UI?

Not me - I think the upgrade looks great. I am excited for the new effects plug ins, the advanced MIDI routing, the channel EQ, VSampler, unlimited busses, etc.

Now, Cubase SX 2, on the other hand ... I can't tell what the additions are (as opposed to fixes)?

Phil said everything I was going to say about Sonar. I think many people will find that the new MIDI routing featur will make Sonar a good host for live use. One thing I missed in the older version was the ability to use multiple controllers at one time directed to multiple sound sources. Now it sounds like Sonar 3 will turn any combination of keyboards into MIDI controllers.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by Rabid:

One thing I missed in the older version was the ability to use multiple controllers at one time directed to multiple sound sources.

That's practically the kicker for me, really. The ability to layer sounds from multiple hardware and software instruments and to be able to hear them all at once while you record ... and the ability to play two keyboards at once and record the MIDI info separately ... that's what I'm hoping for. The rest is gravy (and there's lots of it, it seems).

Other than turn SONAR into a DAW, stereo waveform editor, word processor, web browser, video editor, cookbook, scientific calculator with the ability to create musical holigrams in the middle of your studio with only a video monitor, what more could you ask for in a product upgrade. I'm a happy cakewalk customer right now.

Originally posted by Griffinator:

Unlimited busses + channel EQ (as long as it sounds reasonably good) is worth it to me.

i've been a gigging musician till recently, so maybe I'm super naive in these regards, and I even brought the sonar manual to work to start looking through it (was a cakewalk pro audio 9 guy for the past year, and mainly just hit record and do audio), so what do some of these features equate to in terms of recording?

Basically, the channel EQ saves you CPU by not having to insert EQ plugins on every channel (the way I often find myself doing) and the unlimited busses is like having a mixing board with unlimited aux sends (you can patch vocals to three or four different effects busses and automate the volume on them to use different effects on the same vocal track at different times in the song, for example)

Archived