Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need a second keyboard.

shniggens

Currently play an Alesis QS.8. Love the feel and piano sounds, but I need to add a second keyboard for more sounds.

Looking for something with outstanding stock organ and pad sounds, non-weighted keys, preferably 76 keys and up. All for under $1,500.

Suggestions (used or new)?

:wave:

Amateur Hack

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't considered much, actually, as I don't know too much about these things. I used to play solely acoustic piano, then I eventually moved up to a synth via the Alesis (which gave me an overwhelming amount of sounds, of which I primarily used the piano :rolleyes: ). Now, since I am playing in a band with TWO freaking guitarists, I feel I need some good organ sounds (which the Alesis has TERRIBLE choices of) to cut through, and some good pads to . . . well, pad.

I am way behind on technology, and I often get overwhelmed by all the options, gear, effects, etc.

I just wanna play music. A good backup synth to suit my needs is all I need. Preferably a used or older model so that I may acquire one cheaper.

I'll check out the CX3, though. Does it have pads as well?

Amateur Hack

Casio WK-3500(Dodges wax bullets from the rest of the board)

www.casio.com

700 Onboard sounds,ZPI technology,organ modeling and drawbars,76 keys,non weighted,touch sensitivity, 6 track sequencer,16 MIDI channels

mixer,the list goes on...

About $545 MSRP

$399 from Sam Ash

This is a LOT of keyboard for the money.Even if you don't use it as such,think of it as a tremendous break on a sound module(with speakers to boot!)

FYI

Sky, either you must be working for Casio or you don't have other boards. Your Casio only advice is overwhelming, to say the least.

The WK3500 looks like an arranger keyboard. With all respect to what they can do (TYROS!), most arranger keyboard lack the "phatt" factor that most high end synths and B3 clones have. Will the WK3500 cut through in a mix or will it drown?

http://www.bobwijnen.nl

Hipness is not a state of mind, it's a fact of life.

Have you considered midi-ing upsomething like a kurzweil micro ensemble, or the pc2 module, or the like? If you like the feel of your present board you'd keep that, learn the way to switch from one set of sounds to another and have less gear to tote. Plus you're spending all your $$$ on sounds, not hardware. Just a thought...
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

If you can find one, a used Fantom (76 keys) or a Triton 61 should be around that price. Also a new Triton LE 76. I'm not sure what a used Motif 7 would run. I'm sure a used Motif 6 would be in that range. Also consider a Used Kurzweil 2500. I'm not sure what they run now. You could also find an XP-80 for under $1000. Any of these will give you some nice quality.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I would second the XP80...although not the newest thing on the block, it may suit your needs better than a Fantom (it's successor). I think at used prices, it has a better bang/buck ratio.

"For instance" is not proof.

Originally posted by Superbobus:

Sky, either you must be working for Casio or you don't have other boards. Your Casio only advice is overwhelming, to say the least.

The WK3500 looks like an arranger keyboard. With all respect to what they can do (TYROS!), most arranger keyboard lack the "phatt" factor that most high end synths and B3 clones have. Will the WK3500 cut through in a mix or will it drown?

It's not like me to quote myself, but reading some topics this morning makes me think like somebody drowned together with that WK3500...

http://www.bobwijnen.nl

Hipness is not a state of mind, it's a fact of life.

Originally posted by daveloving:

Have you considered midi-ing upsomething like a kurzweil micro ensemble, or the pc2 module, or the like? If you like the feel of your present board you'd keep that, learn the way to switch from one set of sounds to another and have less gear to tote. Plus you're spending all your $$$ on sounds, not hardware. Just a thought...

That's not a bad idea, but I wanna get two keyboards at my disposal. I don't like playing with the board split, I would rather play two boards at once.

I appreciate all the recommendations! I will look into them.

:wave:

Amateur Hack

Originally posted by Buddtopps89:

Originally posted by Rabid:

You could also find an XP-80...

Robert

I own one! It's great! But I didn't know they were still selling them. (In other words), where the heck would you find an XP-80 now?
eBay.

I would like to recommend a MIDI controller and a module as opposed to a new keyboard.

Since you are just starting out in the multi keyboard adventure, you can avoid the mistake of getting bogged down by a ton of all in one keyboards and get yourself the freedom of just a few good controllers (typically, a weighted 88, which you have the QSR, and two non weighted 49 and 61 key controllers). Then just buy modules (which are cheaper than all in one keyboards) and a rack. Tons of keyboard sound and possibilty, itty bitty space. One three tiered stand and expandability that never ends.

Try the Voce! :thu:

Carl

Yamaha EX5 has gorgeous synth sounds and very realistic and gritty hammond sounds. A little heavy for a non-weighted board though... The built-in VL synth is cool; definitely needs a BC3 for that aspect of the synth. Probably used ones in the $600-$900 range...

Composer/Performer at Roger Hooper Music

Product Trainer at CASIO

www.rogerhooper.com

I'm considering a Roland VR-760 as a second keyboard. It has a different action than the K2600 and it's a heck of a lot lighter. I could take it to jam sessions and leave the beast behind. Too bad it's so expensive.

Archived