Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Access or Clavia?

Ender

OK first off I'm not trying to start a VIRUS vs NORD thread. I just want to know what you all think of the Nord Lead II,IIx, or III and the Virus (C specifically)

I going to look into purchasing one at some point. I'm into electronica. I'd use the synth I buy for a harder edged sound, grittier and more nasty than my MS2k. For pads I'm getting a Wavestation at some point. I really want NASTINESS out of the one of the two brands I buy. On that note...how bout it? What do you all think of these synths?

"The heart of the machine is evolving, the soul has emerged, and all who embrace it will reach Teknotic Nirvana." ~ Nos Tehbi "Book of the Teknos"

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a good place to start. First listen to these Access Virus MP3\'s and then go the Clavia and listen to these Clavia Nord MP3\'s which include both Lead 2 and Lead 3. It may just be me, but it seems that the Virus is more prevalant in electronic music and the Nord is used more in rock and pop. There is a difference in the sound of a Lead 2 and Lead 3, but both still have that "Nord" sound. The Access seems to have more capabilities with routings and variety of sound, but a Nord can sound good without any effects. Tough call that really depends on what sound you want.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

My opinion is pretty much the same as has been offered here. Virus has most types of nastiness, then the NL3 then the NL2s. But the NL2s have a very immediate, attractive personality to me.

It's a taste thing, I think.

Jerry

I just picker up a Nord 2x last week and have fiddled with the NL3 at stores. They both can be raunchy or smooth, depending on what you need them to be. I can't say much in terms of programming the NL3, but the 2x seems to be easy for a novice like me, at least compared to a Virus C. Keep in mind that you have more than just those 2 choices, you should also look at the SuperNova2, and Waldorf Q, both of which are the the same arena as the NL3 and Virus C.

I have a lower cost synth that may do the trick, the Novation A/K stations. I have the A-station and it can put out some nasty sounds if you can use it well, although an MS2000 is not a slacker in that dept either.

Keep in mind that the NL2x, NL3, and Virus all have 1,000+ patches, so you are sure to find at least 50 to your liking.

Live 6, Battery 3, Project 5, Atmosphere, Albino 2, Minimoog V, Oddity, Nord 2X, Proteus 2K

***I can't play for sh*t, but I can sequence like a muthaf*ck*r***

Archived