Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Philadelphia ...TV and airport

Dan O

Hi everyone ,

I just wanted to mention that the Philadelphia Airport has the best food selection and shop's to shop in ! :eek:

Also , Cabel channel 8 , a Philadelphia station (here in baltimore) always has great music shows after 10pm . Mostly small venue's with great musicians .

Does anyone else catch these shows or traveled through Philly airport ? :wave:

dano

www.esnips.com/web/SongsfromDanO

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last time I traveled through the Philadelphia airport was when I moved from the US to Holland about eight years ago. Those changes you wrote about must have happened during that time as I was not particularly impressed with the airport then. I was born and raised in Philadelphia and still miss the soft pretzels you can buy on the streets.

I went to the world famous Pat's Steaks (cheese steaks) in South Philly on that last visit and was disappointed with the quality of the meal. I assume they are still in business

I remember Chestnut Street was made into a walking mall and the only traffic was busses. I assume that is still the same?

I also remember hearing (and seeing) Richard Groove Holmes in Phila. back in 1967 or 68. His kids were running around the club while dad was performing. Anyone remember the name of that club in center city? I wonder if it's still there.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Originally posted by Dano:

Hi everyone ,

I just wanted to mention that the Philadelphia Airport has the best food selection and shop's to shop in ! :eek:

Man...are you serious? I think that airport is freaking dismal compared to many I've been in. Maybe it's because I'm usually there on a layover to somewhere else and therefore haven't been in the best of moods at the time, but compared to most major airports (Kennedy, O'Hare, LAX, DFW, McCarron, Nashville even), I think PHL isn't one of the better ones.

- Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff the Weasel:

Hi everyone ,

Man...are you serious? I think that airport is freaking dismal compared to many I've been in.
I'll bet you haven't been there in years. PHL has changed a bunch, especially in the last two or three years.

BTW Dave Horne - Geno\'s (right across the street from Pat's) has much better cheesesteaks than Pat's - I think Pat's is over-rated. ;)

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

My girlfriend will be flying out to Lippincott Publishing again this winter, hopefully I'll get to tag along again and pay more attention to the stuff in the airport.

Geno's, baby!!! And the Striped Bass!! Woohoo! :thu:

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

I think Pat's is over-rated.
My ex's father who is from South Philly spent years talking up Pat's. I finally got to try one about 15 years ago and wasn't that impressed. It was not what Pop described. In fact, the ones he made as an homage to Pat's were far better. I'm willing to bet that what Pat's sell now is not that same as what Pop got in the 40s.

Originally posted by ELP71:

Nothing like a "Wiz With" and a cup of cheese fries at about 3:30 AM after a "night out"...

I do "American With"...always preferred it to da Whiz (on the steak anyway - Whiz rulez on the cheese fries).

BTW - for those of you who don't understand the code, "With" means add fried onions... :thu:

Dammit - now I'm hungry... ;)

dB

Dave Bryce, if I ever return to Phila. I'll go to a local store in the neighborhood of Levick and Harbison somewhere between Frankford Ave and Roosevelt Blvd. When I was married to my first wife, we would go to a local mom and pop store and order cheese steaks with fries and a milkshake. When you're young and poor, it's those little outings that stick in your memory. I bet I could find that store back if I had to.

BTW, are you from Philadelphia?

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

I think Philly restaurants are stupendous and the airport food is still pretty lousy. Particularly those cart pretzels with the gross, oily aftertaste. :eek:

The airline clubs are nice, especially the USAir one. :freak:

Jerry

Hi ,

Compared to BWI (baltimore washington) , Philadelphia was better IMO . BWI sucks the big one . I think the only Roy Rodgers left open is at BWI !

Dano

What about Cable channel 8 ? Anyone tune in ?

Originally posted by Tusker:

I think Philly restaurants are stupendous and the airport food is still pretty lousy. Particularly those cart pretzels with the gross, oily aftertaste. :eek:

Jerry

Oh no, the quality of my favorite street pretzels has dropped? Is nothing sacred? I lived on them when I went to college.

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

Oh no, the quality of my favorite street pretzels have dropped? Is nothing sacred? I lived on them when I went to college.

I am not sure where they get them from, but they are more expensive than regular street/cart pretzels. With the added processing they raise the price of course:

1) Buy a fresh cart pretzel

2) Refry in old oil to add flavor

3) Store in old newspapers for two days to let the oil mature.

4) Sell in airport at a higher price.

So perhaps these aren't the pretzels you remember. The funny thing with these imposters.. they look tasty. :rolleyes:

Jerry

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

I was married to my first wife, we would go to a local mom pop store and order cheese steaks with fries and a milkshake.

Those rock. Mine was McKinley's market at the corner of Tulpehocken and Township Line Rd. in Abington. It's still there, and they're still great.

BTW, are you from Philadelphia?
Yep. Born and bred.

dB

Hey dB,

What's been the biggest transition from east coast and west coast ?

You mean besides the weather?

I'd have to say the general attitude. It's quite different between the two coasts. The tempo of the east coast is a bit faster and more intense - at least, in the northeast corridor, anyway.

...then there's the fact that you can NOT get a decent cheesesteak out here... ;)

dB

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Hey dB,

You mean besides the weather?

...then there's the fact that you can NOT get a decent cheesesteak out here... ;)

dB

You may laugh a little , but I never required a taste for cheese , so I have never eaten a cheesesteak in my life . :mad:

I didn't start to eat pizza until I was 25 . :P

I go through Philly all the time. I have to say it's one of the nicer ones I've been in.

It's a palace compared to Dorval, although they have been renovating it.

Arlanda in Stockholm is nice too.

Beautiful exotic girl working at the coffee shop.

Schipol in Amsterdam is a bit of a blight, and the female cleaning crew comes into the bathroom while you're whizzing to chat you up.

Detroit was a hole, from what I remember.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

I'll bet you haven't been there in years. PHL has changed a bunch, especially in the last two or three years.

You're right, it's been over two years. And I know how airports can do a huge turnaround when they renovate.

dB...you probably have been in more airports than 95% of people. Do you have any favorites? Ever have a fellow traveler nearly cause an international incident in a former communist country? ;)

- Jeff

Ever have a fellow traveler nearly cause an international incident in a former communist country?
Not quite an international incident but I almost spent the weekend in a Moscow Airport holding cell in the late 80s. I didn't know it until I was lead away from my fellow travelers, but my Visa was dated for Monday and I had arrived on Saturday. The security guard/soldier (I never figured out which he was) didn't speak English but he kept pointing at the Visa and yelling at me. I couldn't read read Russian but eventually picked up on the date problem. When my customer arrived to take me to my hotel, he explained that I had been given the choice between buying a ticket back to the U.S. or spending the weekend in a holding cell. (Evidently, this was fairly common at that time.) Since I didn't have money for a second round trip ticket my customer, Gostel Radio, had to grease a few palms to get me into the country. Not one of my more pleasant business trips.

Originally posted by Jeff the Weasel:

dB...you probably have been in more airports than 95% of people. Do you have any favorites?

Faves? Hmmm....

USA, it'd probably be Denver. Easy to get around in, good shops...

Outside the US, I'd probably go with Schipol (Amsterdam), although I really liked Hong Konbg's airport a lot as well.

Ever have a fellow traveler nearly cause an international incident in a former communist country? ;)

Very funny... :rolleyes:

Jeff is referring to an incident that happened to me in Moscow's airport. Long story...

dB

Jeff is referring to an incident that happened to me in Moscow's airport. Long story...
Worse than almost spending the weekend in a holding cell? :eek: Man, you must have really screwed up. :D

Didn't you love those 12 year old-looking soldiers in their oversized army hats manning the customs kiosks? The one I got looked he hadn't started shaving yet. If he was representative of the Soviet military of that time, I don't know what all the fuss was about during the Cold war.

Originally posted by JimmieWannaB:

Didn't you love those 12 year old-looking soldiers in their oversized army hats manning the customs kiosks? The one I got looked he hadn't started shaving yet. If he was representative of the Soviet military of that time, I don't know what all the fuss was about during the Cold war.

I had about a 40-ish looking woman who was as wide as she was tall...hair pulled back into a tight bun, no makeup. Very, very severe. :eek:

dB

I had about a 40-ish looking woman who was as wide as she was tall...hair pulled back into a tight bun, no makeup. Very, very severe.
Ouch. Sounds like the floor ladies at my hotel. Old Spice seemed to be the cologne of choice for these women. Given their looks and demeanor, it was an appropriate choice.

Was your trip pre or post Soviet Russia? My experience was when it was still the Soviet Union. Strangest trip I have ever been on. I think the single line on the first postcard I sent home summed it up - We certainly not in Kansas any more Toto.

Ah, cheesesteaks, pretzels, and airports! Somehow this thread brings to mind More Songs About Buildings and Food by Talking Heads. :D

... Interesting Russia stories too! Dave, I've got to hear the "long story" next time we hang out - maybe a football game at Yankee Doodles? (Counting the hours 'til Preseason...)

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I had about a 40-ish looking woman who was as wide as she was tall...hair pulled back into a tight bun, no makeup. Very, very severe. :eek:

Uggh. :D

I have visions of Blofeld's assistant from the "On Her Majesties Secret Service" when you say that. :D

I never have been to Russia. Sounds like it would create some cool memories. When I was college I remember visiting my Dad in London. One time, my plane had landed, he hadn't arrived at Heathrow and I just had to go to the bathroom.

Slight problem. My luggage doesn't fit in the stall. So I think what the heck, this men's room is empty. I leave the large bag outside the stall. Bad move.

I'm just getting comfortable on the throne when the door flies open and a couple of armed military types come crashing through. They are yelling "who's bag is this." "Come out with your hands up" etc.

I'll leave some of this to your imagination.

They wanted to see my passport. Want to look inside the bag. Gave me a good chiding. When they realized I was travelling from the US, they visibly relaxed. It was the height of the IRA bombings in London. It wasn't funny at the time, but I remember telling my dad the story of my detention and having him laugh unceasingly. ;):D

Best,

Jerry

I have lived in the Philly area all of my life except for 3 years in the Catskills area. I don't care what anybody says but Pat's and Geno's are for the tourists!! Of course, Geno's is the better of the two. I know there are many great local places to get a cheesesteak and I won't argue which is best. As for the whiz vs american question....ever try the two together? Nothing beats a soft pretzel fresh out of the oven. When I'm in Philly I try to stop at Federal Pretzel and get some.

Can't really speak about the music scene right now but I hear its as good as ever. I don't get out much these days.

I don't do lots of traveling but from what I have seen PHL is pretty good although I think Atlanta is the best I have seen. I know many folks don't like Atlanta though.

There are no stupid questions but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots!

Archived