Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland SRX Boards

Tim Clark

Hey all,

I'm a newb here, so first off all let me introduce myself. My name's Tim...Took piano lessons on several occasions, but in the end I'm still a guitarist who pretends to know how to play keys. I've got a Wurlitzer 200A I plunk around on, but am looking to expand my tone vocab a bit.

The setup I'm looking at would be a Studiologic SL990 controller into a Roland sound module with a few SRX expansion boards. How would you guys rate the Roland SRX boards? I'm particularly interested in the Vintage Keys, Concert Piano, Dynamic Drums and Symphonic/Orchestral boards. Also, what would be a good module to buy to use these with the controller? I haven't really looked at the competitors offerings, but is anything else out there better than the SRX's for around the same price?

Thanks in advance!

-Tim

My music is like a movie for your ears - Frank Zappa

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome,

I have the vintage keys.

Its o.k. the rhodes and wurly's are fair.

The organs however are pathetic.

They sound good until you get around C3,then they sound like some cheesy-ass casio.

I've even went as far as running my xp-80 through a Leslie 122.Still sounded like shyte.

So,I would really advise against it.

If you're going for just the rhodes,wurly's its alright.

However,its got a pretty close sounding Farfiza(sp)?

Welcome, Tim

I guess you don't need a sound module with good Wurly samples, huh?

For a Roland sound module, I'd suggest finding a used XV-3080 (or if your budget allows, the XV5080). I found a 3080 for around $600 and like it very much. Instead of the 64 note polyphony of the current XV2020 & 5050, the 3080 has 128 note polyphony which is important when using some of Roland voice-intensive programs. It will also accept more expansion cards than the 2020 & 5050.

I'll let others comment on the SRX cards that interest you. With any Roland or other synth product, if Eric Persing programmed it, it's very good.

I had an XP-80 and those hold JV ROM's, not SRX. SRX ROM's are very good. My favorites are the SRX-06 Orchestra and SRX-09 World Collection. The Ultimate Keys is a bit odd to me because it wastes a lot of space on acoustic piano patches which may be better served by the dedicated piano ROM. The Keyboards of the 60s and 70s JV ROM used to be one of my favorites but next to some of the eps on the SRX-03 Studio ROM the eps seem a bit dead. I like the new E-mu vintage keys ROM or module much better than the Roland SRX keyboard ROM. I also have the SRX-02 piano ROM. Some people really like it. I dont get much use out of it. The drum ROM also gets a lot of good comments but I use Battery when I record drums so I never got the Roland ROM. I also like the SRX-03 studio ROM. It is more of an expansion of the basic ROM set and has some nice acoustic guitars among other instruments.

As for hardware, I agree with the comment about the 3080. I use a Fantom and a XV-5080. The 5080 holds 4 SRX and 4 JV ROMs. The Fantom holds 2 SRX and 1 JV ROM. I dont think the XV-5050 holds any JV ROMs. My suggestion for which ROMs and what order.

1 SRX-09 World

2 SRX-06 Complete Orchestra

3 SRX-03 Studio

If needed and you like them, add the drum or piano ROM. SRX-07 Ultimate Keys may be ok but I think I prefer the E-mu version.

Hope this helps,

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Hey, great info everyone, Thanks!

Mark: I'll be sure to check out that yahoo group.

As for the Ultimate/Vintage Keys board (whatever it's called, It's SRX-07), there are a few tones I'm interested in...JUNO 106, Mellotron, B3/C3's, Rhodes, Pianet, Classic Synths (ARP/Moog)...Are these tones on the board, and if so how do they sound? I'm especially interested in the 'tron sounds.

And unfortunately, my Wurly is a fixer-upper. Doesn't sound as good as it could yet. Once I replace some reeds and setup the action, then I'll have something good to record with. Its just a project for now though...

My music is like a movie for your ears - Frank Zappa

Originally posted by Tim Clark:

As for the Ultimate/Vintage Keys board (whatever it's called, It's SRX-07), there are a few tones I'm interested in...JUNO 106, Mellotron, B3/C3's, Rhodes, Pianet, Classic Synths (ARP/Moog)...Are these tones on the board, and if so how do they sound? I'm especially interested in the 'tron sounds.

Not to lead you off the Roland path, but have you considered an E-Mu Vintage Pro for these sounds? You should at least audition one. This is from the E-Mu website:

Includes samples from the Hammond B-3, Wurlitzer EP, Fender Rhodes, Hohner Clavinet, Farfisa, Mellotron, Moogs, Prophets, Oberheim OBX, Jupiter, Juno, 808, 909, ARPs, DX7, CP70, Matrix, SH101, TB303, E-MU Modular, Fairlight, and many more.

Archived