Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Direction of next KC compilation?

Dave Bryce

Originally posted by Dan South:

If there's no sequencing, does that also exclude DAW editing and "regrooving?" How about Auto-tune? Can you record to a metronome, or is that off limits, too? Should the process matter, or should we focus on results?

I don't like the idea of original and covers mixed on the same CD. I hope that we can commit to one or the other (or make them two separate discs).

I'm not happy with the idea of covers and originals sharing space on one CD either.

As for post production, I'm not planning on any. I'm going to do exactly what I said I was going to do (which is to improvise for four minutes and send that completely raw).

I'm going to use some reverb, but that will be during performance, not after.

I was hoping the whole point of this exercise was not to "process" what we do at all.

Carl

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Dan South:

If there's no sequencing, does that also exclude DAW editing and "regrooving?" How about Auto-tune? Can you record to a metronome, or is that off limits, too? Should the process matter, or should we focus on results?

I'd like to focus on the results. Some here will be able to play through something from the top with no mistakes, others will need to fix an occasional clam here and there, and so on.

I think it's up to each person as to how "perfect" or not they want it to be.

In the end though, I want to be able to listen to an entire CD of solo performances. I won't be thinking, "gee did they fix something, or speed it up or slow it down, etc.", but rather enjoy each track at face value.

I say do whatever it take to make your track represent the best solo performance you can possibly come up with.

A real "what if...(I played this perfectly) type" performance.

The most important thing is that for the listener, the CD is consistent to the theme agreed on...solo performance. (for this particular volume. Don't worry, there will be others)

If there's no sequencing, does that also exclude DAW editing and "regrooving?" How about Auto-tune? Can you record to a metronome, or is that off limits, too?
uh...well...damn...what do I say, nothing I guess...whatever.

Some here will be able to play through something from the top with no mistakes, others will need to fix an occasional clam here and there, and so on.

I think it's up to each person as to how "perfect" or not they want it to be.

yuck...what is perfect?

"Do not fear mistakes. There are none."

-Miles Davis

Originally posted by Stephen LeBlanc:

yuck...what is perfect?

"Do not fear mistakes. There are none."

-Miles Davis

What I'm saying is some people will be more comfortable leaving in "wart's and all", while others will be happier with their submission if they fix a bad note ot two that they feel diminishes the musical idea they are trying to convey.

Do what you want to it (including doing nothing) until you're happy with it, and stay within the guidelines of the CD's theme.

Some will be more "runaway train" than others.

There's no rule that stipulates you have to get it in one take, is there?

If you only made one note sound bad, couldn't you just do it again?

I'm not going to send in the very first thing that I run off (unless that just happens to be the best of the bunch). I'm planning on recording several (perhaps 100) improvised performances and only submit the one that I like the most.

Think of it as spending all of your effort in perfecting the performance and not "polishing" it. :D:idea::thu:

Carl

yeah, I figured that's what you meant Byron.

I just think, in general...a musician shouldn't play things he/she can't play unless they're willing to live with the result...y'know?

So if you only have the technique (or time to practice) for playing a slow melodic piece then maybe that's all you should record.

Just a thought...not trying to place rules on anyone...if people want to edit their performance so be it.

Re: the originals/covers thing...here's why I think it's a good idea.

There are a bunch of pianists who are amazing players who may not necessarily be good at improvising and/or songwriting. If this is meant to show off people's piano skills, they should be free to do so in any way they wish, be it with their own material, a Chopin prelude, a jazz standard, or whatever.

Can anyone come up with a good reason why we shouldn't, other than that they don't like the idea? ;)

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

There are a bunch of pianists who are amazing players who may not necessarily be good at improvising and/or songwriting. If this is meant to show off people's piano skills, they should be free to do so in any way they wish, be it with their own material, a Chopin prelude, a jazz standard, or whatever.

Can anyone come up with a good reason why we shouldn't, other than that they don't like the idea? ;)

dB

Not really a reason why we shouldn't, but the reason that I prefer that we do 2 CD's instead of just one. One disc, all original/improv the other covers. Just as long as they're real time, not overly produced and so forth. :D

Carl

I completely agree Dave.

It's more about playing a single instrument, not necessarily composing something new or original.

Some folks will choose to do free improv, others will offer an original piece they like, and still others can submit a solo rendition of a standard or other favorite song.

dB

er, yeah, when you put it that way...of course. I guess I was more or less trying to avoid hearing any more Beatle songs. ;) heh, J/K.

But seriously...maybe we can at least keep it to music that is in the public domain?

whatever...at this point the only thing I'm really lobbying for is that it's a CD full of live recordings. :thu:

Originally posted by Krakit:

Not really a reason why we shouldn't, but the reason that I prefer that we do 2 CD's instead of just one. One disc, all original/improv the other covers. Just as long as they're real time, not overly produced and so forth.

Okay - this is getting blurry. The original pitch was piano solo only. Now it's piano solo, improv/original only.

I'm thinking that's a touch too restrictive, and wonder if we'll get enough pieces to fill a disc. I'm glad that some of you feel strong enough in all of those areas to do this (as do I), but I think we should allow the folks who burn on solo piano playing other people's stuff to contribute on this disc as well.

I feel this is a fairly concrete reason to allow non-original pieces. As previously stated, I'm open to opposing concrete reasoning other than just personal preference.

As the moderator, I need to try and be as fair as possible to as many people as possible.

Originally posted by steadyb:

I say do whatever it take to make your track represent the best solo performance you can possibly come up with.

Bingo.

dB

Okay - this is getting blurry. The original pitch was piano solo only. Now it's piano solo, improv/original only..

Now I'm confused again. :confused:

Are only pianos and piano patches allowed? Not that I can't swing with that, if that's the requirement, I'm there. It's just I thought I'd be able to incorporate more toys than that. ;)

Carl

Are only pianos and piano patches allowed?

I'm thinking that basically sounds like the way to go.

Unless anyone has a problem with this, I say we define piano as acoustic, electric, sampled or layered.

Cool?

dB

Are only pianos and piano patches allowed?

I'm thinking that basically sounds like the way to go.

Unless anyone has a problem with this, I say we define piano as acoustic, electric, sampled or layered.

Cool?

dB

I can't say I'm not a bit dissapointed that I won't be able to incorporate synths into the project, but piano alone is very do-able.

Carl

Cool?

don't hate me for saying it but that seems too restrictive to me :D I think Carl should be able to use his whole rig...I'd like to have that option if I can't get to a good piano.

Are the following rules simple enough?

CD1:

Recorded Live using Keyboard(s), no sequencing, no other musicians. Technical Post-production allowed if absolutely necessary.

CD2:

Recorded Live, some sort of keyboard used, Other musicians allowed but no overdubbing. Technical Post-production allowed if necessary.

Covers/Originals both allowed...no Beatles songs. :P

Originally posted by Stephen LeBlanc:

Are the following rules simple enough?

CD1:

Recorded Live using Keyboard(s), no sequencing, no other musicians. Technical Post-production allowed if absolutely necessary.

CD2:

Recorded Live, some sort of keyboard used, Other musicians allowed but no overdubbing. Technical Post-production allowed if necessary.

Yes, and I like those. I think you could get a lot of participation with something like this.

However ... a suggestion...

We could blend this approach with David's definition of a piano (only for CD1). That way Krakit (and anyone else who wanted to add synths) would be in CD2, they just wouldn't have anyone playing along).

So CD1 would be "piano" played live and CD2 would be multi-keyboards (and potentially other instruments) played live. What do you think?

This would allow more of a textural purity on CD1. And more variation on CD2.

Jerry

I'd say to those on the forum who don't consider themselves to be "players", construct a solo piano piece.

That's the only real restriction of the CD...a solo instrument performance.

I'll say it again and again, I don't care how you get there, a solo piano track qualifies for the vol 6 comp.

For those with restricted chops, let this be an opportunity to show your composing for solo piano sequencing chops.

The only request being that it be something that would be humanly possible (this is a very broad area) to be played by one person with 2 hands.

It could be step entered...I don't care...if it's cool, it's cool. (Someone could do a very hip Bach style piece that way)

:cool:

It is a very good thing to be able to do. Suppose a TV or film opportunity were to present itself, but it called for some solo piano, and the producers wanted to work with just 1 composer for the show.

Now everyone here does have a chance to submit. :thu:

Originally posted by Tusker:

So CD1 would be "piano" played live and CD2 would be multi-keyboards (and potentially other instruments) played live. What do you think?

Jerry

If there's gonna be enough for 2 disks that's exactly how I'd suggest splitting them up.

Disk 1, as close to all piano as possible.

Originally posted by steadyb:

Originally posted by Tusker:

Jerry

If there's gonna be enough for 2 disks that's exactly how I'd suggest splitting them up.

Disk 1, as close to all piano as possible.

ok...works for me. :thu:

I'm new to these compilation CD projects. How can I get copies of the previous volumes? As somewhat of an outsider, I don't have the experience of hearing what you've been doing up to this point. Anyway, I basically agree with the idea of a solo piano album (or solo keyboard, one pass live), with a "no rules - anything goes" project going simultaneously -- seems like this should offer something for everybody. Also, I'm not skilled with computer stuff, nor with recording engineering. But I can compose and play solo piano or keyboard, and can make a reasonable recording of it. If you kind folks can lead me by the digital hand, I'd love to submit a tune. Let me know how the process works...

Thanks,

Otto

Archived