Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MTV Cribs: Is this for real?

not sure who it was talking about rock songwriters versus rappers and loops, but anyway cash money and master p's nolimit records are hugely successful, they own all of their own publishing and they don't use samples, 99 percent of their music is this awful synth workstation crud, but thats rapmusic for ya (nothing personal) so they are making their own beats and writing their own songs, most rock bands are paying producers pints of blood at a time, and in most rap groups somebody can make beats or Dj. now when it comes to hiphop I could listen to dan the automator, el-p or dj shadows production for days, but they don't clock anything like the dough that the rap artist are making. :(

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whoever assumed every rap artist is like a Master P is like if I said every rocker since the 70s is a Motely Crew (who in what way did they live differently in their prime as any of these rappers?). Such a remark would obviously come from someone who didn't know shit about the music/culture/industry they are judging. Such a remark would not be TOO out of place if all they sourced their info from was radio and television. But look at "rock music" now, if sourced from radio and telvision. The Hives, Sum 41, Blink 182 ect. Fucked up looking white kids whose entire albums are either songs about girls or their singer trying to be mick jagger. Boy, they sure give Led Zepplin a GREAT modern day representation of rock music... Do you think I feel any different about how Master P represents the same genre as Tupac? How were Janis Joplins, Jimi Hendrixs, Led Zepplins, THE BEATLES!!!, Grateful deads addictions drug use any different then these rappers!?!?!?!?! It may be no surprise being that I am a hiphop fan more then a rock one (best believe I listen to both and more), but as uninspired as I find todays mainstream hiphop, I'd be FAR more willing to listen to that then alternative rock radio. I could go and speak on sucessful rap artists like Mos Def, who in YOUR opinion would live a more quality lifestyle and produce fabulous albums, but you wouldn't wanna hear that. It'd just debunk precious time you spent making ignorant posts arguing on facts that weren't even true to begin with.

Are they keepin' it real? Yeah, real enough as their crack-addled minds can handle. Most of them don't write their own music, and the ones that do are all about gettin some hed, shooting somebody, or taking the crack. Those "lyrics", if you were to call them that, are easily enough written by some 10 year old kid with a sick enough mind for it. I'm not trashing the scene, or anything :rolleyes: , but it sucks.

Are they keepin' it real? Yeah, real enough as their crack-addled minds can handle. Most of them don't write their own music, and the ones that do are all about gettin some hed, shooting somebody, or taking the crack. Those "lyrics", if you were to call them that, are easily enough written by some 10 year old kid with a sick enough mind for it. I'm not trashing the scene, or anything :rolleyes: , but it sucks.

Well I`m not surpised that our hip hop / rap comrades have taken offense to this topic. No one asked but in my opinion I find the whole hiphop/rap scene to be a said commentary about society today, particularly the youth. There are very very few hiphop / rap artists who are doing anything worth listening to in my opinion and the same goes for rock. Of course there are exceptions but they are few. I guess I`m not surprised that rap / hip hop personel have taken offense to this thread but the truth sometimes hurts. Anyway, now we are getting off the thread...

Sure it's just the MTV version of lifestyles of the rich and famous. Celebs in the USA are generally expected to live lives of grand excess. It's part of their entertainment value, sort of. The rap crowd are relatively new to this game and bring their own style to it. Cash or credit who cares? They even poke fun at it with lyrics like "got everything in my mama's name", now that's funny. What I would like to see is a "reality" crib just once. A cheap, two-room cold water flat where everybody in the band lives. Unfortunately it probably wouldn't be that entertaining.

PATRICK you I wouldn't fret about, but earnest, come on man I know you know better, that was as about a blanket statement as one could make about HipHop and Rock that you just made. Are you disenchanted or what? there is so much good rock and hiphop music out there that you are probably living on top of it, I know you are not letting what you hear on the radio make up your mind, you couldn't be you're an engineer right? they don't even play hiphop on the radio, all they play is Dre, the neptunes, and ja rule, if thats the hiphop your reffering to in your diet then you must be starving cause thats not hiphop.

[quote]Originally posted by alphajerk: [b]im selling the house i own now and buying the next one in cash. right now its looking like im moving to the beach. all my cars will be paid for, actually only my wifes has a loan on it... but that will be paid off when i sell the house, no CC debit either. equipment all paid for currently in full.[/b][/quote]Well, that's pretty impressive, especially considering considering the ass-kicking so many have received during these ecconomically troubling times. Perhaps you wouldn't mind sharing with us about how you've managed to pull off such an accomplishment?

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Nawledge (knowledge) Actually I don`t listen to the radio which makes my comments even more strong. The only time I hear hip hop / rap is when someone shows me what they think is good. I hear about "artists" and then check them out but I don`t remember the last time I was impressed with a Hip Hop artist. Alicia Keys is one of the most over rated artists in the last 3 years. Just because the girl has some black (african American) in her and can play some classical piano repertoire does not make her what she is made up to be by the industry. I went to the same HS as her, play piano and sing just as well but I don`t have the look I guess. I`m not jealous but she is not a Mozart. Shes good and so am I. This is just an wxample. We put people with some talent on pedestals because compared to the rest of the "artists" out there they are better but we are not really talking about a very high standard of music here. I`m curious to know what you call quality hip hop / rap. Ernest

Earnest...I think you got it wrong. I don't think anyone really took "offense" to this tread, or felt the need to go on the defensive. The issue others, and myself, seem to have is that more than a few of the posts leaned towards the "those rappers aren't so hot", "hip hop (and rock) sucks", and "they couldn't have made that much money considering I've never heard of them" side. Many of the statments have been off-based...totally uninformed. I get a kick out of watching the show. I think it's more of a half hour laugh fest for me. But anyone who claims they've never seen "normal cribs" on there haven't watched the show. Redman, Natalie Raitano, Sum 41 (one dude lives with his parents, IIRC), and even people like Ludacris and rap legend Scarface all stay in fairly normal places. Eighty percent of the people I see being extravagant are those who can afford to be, with the 20% being the incredibly stupid, Hammer-types. Also, many of them don't make all of their money from music. Most of them also run all kinds of legal businesses (usually involving something to do with cars, food, and even real estate). Okay, that's enough with this thread. Peace
If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

I'm talking about what they call hip-hop today. It's not hip-hop. Hip-hop was Run-DMC and Sir Mixalot and such. I don't listen to much of today's music, you're right. It's all the same. There's nothing new for these kids to scream about. It's all been said and done. I play bass, I don't write lyrics. I could if I wanted to, but I don't. I'm a young guy, but people tell me I should be much older, just by my taste in music. I do like some bands that are rather new, but unheard of by pop standards. But these bands concentrate more on the music than the money. And that, my friend, is what I'm all about. So back up offa my nuts.

The real pisser is that since these cribs, cars, etc. are part of these peoples act, part of their marketing, it's all probably a tax right off!
Signatures can appear at the bottom of your posts. This option may be disabled by the message board administrators at any time, however. You may use UBB Code in your signature, but not HTML. UBB Code Images are permitted.

[quote]Originally posted by patrick_dont_fret: [b] [quote] Ernest said: [b]I don`t know who told me this but I heard the same and thats why I started this thread. Especially yesturday when I was watching the show I was surprised by the house the lead singer from 3rd Eye Blind had compared to many of the rap dudes. To me it would seem a singer songwriter of a successful rock band would live in a substantially more expensive home. He had this very moderate apartment. Same goes for Moby. [/b] [/quote]It's called MODESTY. HUMILITY. DIGNITY. These rappers have none of this, as they see it as being COOL, or HIP, or whatever they think they are making up nowadays, to spend millions of dollars of money that they shouldn't have on crap, such as that likker, crack, cocaine (pot's ok...well, not for them), etc., etc., etc. Someone should teach them that there is more in life than how much (and how fast) money you can spend. If I were ever famous for any reason, I don't think I'd let it get to my head like these fools. I definitely would be saving a substantial part of that money, just in case I ever became a candidate for "Who the hell are these people" on VH1 (does anyone actually watch that crap either?). And whoever said there aren't that many rappers on that cribs show must be watching it at completely different times as I have seen, cause I've not seen but one, maybe two, white people on that show. And all the whiteys I've seen were living with modesty and humility and dignity. Some folks just don't get it.[/b][/quote]What may be considered ostentateous living by one may be the epitome of respectable in another culture. "Dignity" is culturally defined- these rap/hip-hop artists that are being referred to aren't out to impress most of us- they have the cars and cribs and hoardes of bitc- uh, girls to impress each other within their culture. Most find it off the hook outrageous- if in a good way or bad way, well, that's another story. That's not how I define respectable, but a large subset of folks here in America espouse those values. Someone's gonna buy those $20 cigars that somebody's mom sells, somewhere, so why shouldn't it be a rapper along with an overpaid executive who smokes'em two afternoons a week at the golf course? Have your own values, but you gotta GET the big picture! :eek: Oh, and I though Snoop Dogg's crib was pretty mild and family-oriented, especially compared to Tommy Lee's. PIGKNUCKLES- Welcome! And thanks for teaching me what the hell a "cold water flat" is- I always wondered from the band of that name... :)

Archived