Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MTV Cribs: Is this for real?

So I`m sitting on the couch after a session watching cribs... of some guy I never heard of. My wife says, "where do they get these people from?" I don`t know I say and I honestly have no clue. Is it possible that some of these people who I do not recognize even as a full time professional musician are really this financially well off to have these sort of "cribs"? I heard from someone that alot of these cribs are houses that are rented especially these Rap artists. You know.. its not really theirs, they just rent for show. Is there that much money in these one hit wonders to afford the 57 Chevys, the Bentleys, and all the other toys, etc...? I know a top 10 hit can rake it in but some of these people, never knew they existed... Lost and confused, Ernest

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dbunny, Never said rap was easy. I actually engineer rap sessions but I am not into the music personally. I heard that alot of these guys do not have the finaces to keep up the image so they rent the house, the cars, etc... for their Crib episode just to remain "in". Just wondering and would not be surprised if it were true. Ernest

master p who I personally cant stand sonically is worth over $400. million, and thats net., check forbes magazine. he has something like 52 cars. cash money, has gazillions also, ironically I can't stand them either. but the fans especially in the south really support their artist.

funny as hell, i just turn on the tube and what do I see, cash money on cribs, showing off their custom made bottles of crystyle champaine, $2000 a bottle, not 200., but $2000. if thats not rediculous i don't know what is.

I have seen that show a few different times, blows my mind too. I love the fact that they spend every penny on stupid things that lose value in like 15 minutes: clothes, cars, parties, women ... But you gotta give the viewing audience what they want - the lifestyles of the dumb and soon to be one hit wonders... is what they want to see.

Live 6, Battery 3, Project 5, Atmosphere, Albino 2, Minimoog V, Oddity, Nord 2X, Proteus 2K

***I can't play for sh*t, but I can sequence like a muthaf*ck*r***

for spending it like it was water, none of the hip-hoppers on Cribs hold a candle to the former NBA stars... ;) I liked Moby’s pad...austere, minimalist...no bling-bling unless you count Scandinavian furniture from the 1960s. :D I also liked Snoop Dogg’s ’65 Bonneville...that was swank. [quote][i]The Jesus opined:[/i] [b]It's a shame that all the money in the music industry is going to these idiots, rather than to those who deserve it.[/b][/quote]Such as? And why do those “idiots” [i]not[/i] deserve it? I mean, if the people bought the records they made, then...?
Go tell someone you love that you love them.

As I said on the last post about this, most of the people on Cribs appear to me to be living "in their means". You did see Redman's house, right? Whether or not that's his "main" house, he obviously lives there seeing as his music equipment and clothes are there. And 3LW all live in one house, not much nicer than my aunt's. Yeah, some people are in the "lemme lease a few things to look good" line of things, but if you really think about it most of them can afford what they have. It's funny, 'cause a host on a sports radio show was talking about how his friend installs entertainment systems for the sports stars, actors, etc. in the Philly area. He said that, (I think it was) Vaughn Hebron who played for the Eagles once spent $30Gs on a stereo system for his BOAT! When you make that kind of money, I believe that "sense" can go out the window. We, me included, think that much of that excess is sick. Would we really stick to our guns if there were $20M in the bank? You can get bored just being rich... Oh, yeah, who's to say who deserves what. It's a crap shoot in a sense, and theirs paid off for them. Peace
If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

Aeon aliengroover very true very true very true very true I do think they deserve it, if it were me i'd probably be just as exstravagant, but just reflect it in a different way. one thing I've always wanted to do was take out huge front page adds in the la and ny times asking people what the hell are we doing to each other. or have my own radio station, whatever...its nice to dream.

[quote]Originally posted by Nawledge: [b]showing off their custom made bottles of crystyle champaine, $2000 a bottle, not 200., but $2000. [/b][/quote]That's just their way of solving the world hunger and Aids problem.The more 2 grand a bottle Crystal they drink,the more the problems seem to dissapear by magic.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

To answer you question; No. Most of the cars are rentals, and many of the homes are also. This is pretty well known. I can hardly wait to see them all on VH1 in 5 years on "Where are they now." (or, What the hell happend to me) I am sure that the little bow wow segment will be hilarious.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

JoTown, I don`t know who told me this but I heard the same and thats why I started this thread. Especially yesturday when I was watching the show I was surprised by the house the lead singer from 3rd Eye Blind had compared to many of the rap dudes. To me it would seem a singer songwriter of a successful rock band would live in a substantially more expensive home. He had this very moderate apartment. Same goes for Moby. From engineering Rap artists I can`t say I know everything about the rap and hip hop worlds but I know it takes alot more talent, time and effort to make a rock album. I also noticed that lots of rap artists do not write their own beats or instrumentals, they adopt beats and flow over them. Seriously, how much can one rake in with this method? Than you have a singer songwriter who writes all their material, sells 5 million albums living in an apartment. Doesn`t add up. Ernest

[quote]Originally posted by aeon: [b] [quote][i]The Jesus opined:[/i] [b]It's a shame that all the money in the music industry is going to these idiots, rather than to those who deserve it.[/b][/quote]Such as? And why do those “idiots” [i]not[/i] deserve it? [/b][/quote]Because they're idiots! If anybody deserves to have those kajillions of dollars and a fresh harem of lingerie models every hour, it's me! You can check my track record; I am not an idiot. Please make all checks payable to ME. And have all the girls washed up and ready. [i]Ehhh... On second thought... Let me handle that...[/i] :love: :love: :love:

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

[quote]Originally posted by aliengroover: [b](I think it was) Vaughn Hebron who played for the Eagles once spent $30Gs on a stereo system for his BOAT! [/b][/quote]Tell me what you can get for 30 grand that you can't get for 20, or even 15? [quote]Originally posted by Nawledge: [b]custom made bottles of crystyle champaine, $2000 a bottle, not 200., but $2000. [/b][/quote]Same thing here. What can you get in a $2000 bottle of champaigne that you can't get for $1000? Regardless, the fundamental rule still applys: It's easier to spend money than it is to make money -even at their level. As bottomless as that money pit may seem, there IS a bottom. And eventually they will start scraping it. Look what happend to MC Hammer -and by all acounts, he was a nice guy! The kind of guy you don't mind seeing make it to the mansion on the hill. Looks as if Michael Jackson has seen better days to! If anyone here sees him, offer to buy him a cheeseburger or somthing. I think he'd apprieciate it.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

First off, you can't say one type of music is "easier" to do than another. And adding to that, you obviously have no clue as to how the rappers you DO see on Cribs (there haven't been that many) are making their money. The one huge difference between the Cash Money/No Limit records (rarely over 1M units) and your 5M selling rock/singer songwriter act is that the former actually own their records. So when they put out the slew of (crap, IMO) records that go gold, their distro deals let them take in more than 80% of those profits, which will put them in a higher tax bracket than your singer songwriter selling 4 and 5 times that. And the jig is, those guys were selling hundreds of thousands of units BEFORE they got distro by Universal and Priority respectively. Also, the thing about this is, what's "afford" mean? Did you go out and pay cash for the house you live in or the car you drive? Likely no. Same with those artists. The ones who are smart, if they can afford it, will at least buy the house. Overall, how they obtain their big purchases is the same as we do. It's easy to lamblast what someone else does with their money, when respectively we do the same. Peace
If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

The got all their stuff from asking for discounts on everything in life. Like.... Hey, I know you charge $70/hour, but you gotta work wit me. I need a better price than that. how 'bout $30 I am so frikkin tired of Hip/hop/Rap guy coming in here and asking me to work for pennies, yet look at thier cars? Lowered benz... Then they show up an hour late and don't want to pay for that hour 'cause they were in the studio, why should they. They get to keep more of their money by disrespting other. :mad:

Tim Dolbear

De La Bear Music Group

Eclectica Recordings

Eclectica Studios

www.eclecticarecordings.com

www.mixposse.com

"That singer's pitch was a knuckle ball!!!" TD

[quote]Originally posted by ernest828@aol.com: [b]JoTown, I don`t know who told me this but I heard the same and thats why I started this thread. Especially yesturday when I was watching the show I was surprised by the house the lead singer from 3rd Eye Blind had compared to many of the rap dudes. To me it would seem a singer songwriter of a successful rock band would live in a substantially more expensive home. He had this very moderate apartment. Same goes for Moby. From engineering Rap artists I can`t say I know everything about the rap and hip hop worlds but I know it takes alot more talent, time and effort to make a rock album. I also noticed that lots of rap artists do not write their own beats or instrumentals, they adopt beats and flow over them. Seriously, how much can one rake in with this method? Than you have a singer songwriter who writes all their material, sells 5 million albums living in an apartment. Doesn`t add up. Ernest[/b][/quote]I don't want to get into the Rap vs Rock, or a debate about talent, but as I always tell my kids, "Don't believe the hype". The Bling-bling is all about marketing. It's not he music thats being sold but the so called "lifestyle." There are a few Hip-hop people who have cashed in big, P' Diddy and Master P come to mind, but for most of them, just like every pop artist throughout history, at the end of the day (or quarter) it don't add up.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

[quote] Ernest said: [b]I don`t know who told me this but I heard the same and thats why I started this thread. Especially yesturday when I was watching the show I was surprised by the house the lead singer from 3rd Eye Blind had compared to many of the rap dudes. To me it would seem a singer songwriter of a successful rock band would live in a substantially more expensive home. He had this very moderate apartment. Same goes for Moby. [/b] [/quote]It's called MODESTY. HUMILITY. DIGNITY. These rappers have none of this, as they see it as being COOL, or HIP, or whatever they think they are making up nowadays, to spend millions of dollars of money that they shouldn't have on crap, such as that likker, crack, cocaine (pot's ok...well, not for them), etc., etc., etc. Someone should teach them that there is more in life than how much (and how fast) money you can spend. If I were ever famous for any reason, I don't think I'd let it get to my head like these fools. I definitely would be saving a substantial part of that money, just in case I ever became a candidate for "Who the hell are these people" on VH1 (does anyone actually watch that crap either?). And whoever said there aren't that many rappers on that cribs show must be watching it at completely different times as I have seen, cause I've not seen but one, maybe two, white people on that show. And all the whiteys I've seen were living with modesty and humility and dignity. Some folks just don't get it.

Tell'em Dbunny. Woah. You folks are going a little overboard here. WHO ARE WE TO JUDGE WHAT ANOTHER IS DOING WITH THE MONEY THEY EARNED? Why don't you just be real and express how jealous you are for not having such a big bank account. The jealousy is ooozing from some of these posts. I play and sing Rock. Oh yeah, I get pissed off that some rapper can do some cheezy loop(my opinion of cheez), some stupid(my bias again)hook, and rake in a shitload of doe. But you know what, it's a free country, and if it's so damn simple to do what they're doing, I could very well do the same, right? So if what Master P and P. Diddy are doing is so damn elementary go ahead and be the next one. All the whiteys living with humility, GIVE ME A FUCKING BREAK. I just saw a segment about Sting's SEVEN Houses. He's so freakin' humble. Elton John spends 1.2 mil on clothes and jewelry annually. Ozzy spent over a mil on his 50th birthday party. Mind you, I'm not on the humble bandwagon. I think people should be able to spend THEIR Money freely. There are a lot of dynamics not being mentioned in many of the "Rap is so easy", and "these rappers are so gaudy" posts. In short, Stop playa-hating. Lincoln Ross Dead Black Jedis

"All conditioned things are impermanent. Work out your own salvation with diligence."

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

I agree with Lincoln above. I am not saying there is no talent in rap or hip hop. I know I can not do it and I am a pretty good musician but I can not rap just like I can not dance. My point in this thread (which has gotten lost) was that many of these Crib episodes feature rap artist I never heard of and I am pretty up with all genres. I just wanted to know if I was missing something because many of these small time artists are living in homes with cars that are not small time in any way. When I say small time I mean it in the sense that these artists are not big time like the Jay Zs, the P. Didddys, the Nas` of the world or the Elton Johns, Billy Joels, Springsteens... etc... For example, I don`t expect to see Vanesa Carlton to be on Cribs any time soon showing us her mansion and custom made cars from 2 hit singles. Ernest

Dood, I'm not jealous at all. I'm 18 years old, have no kids, get paid around $6000-7000 a year, haven't paid for any schooling, and I got a pretry solid car, and a thousand bucks in the checking account. Of course I live at home, but I buy my own stuff. I don't EVER want to be THAT RICH. It would lead to the utter destruction of my own person, which would be bad for the already deteriorated economy. If I were to become rich, I would rule the world. Hahahahahaha...who's yer daddy?!?!

[quote]Originally posted by aliengroover: [b]Did you go out and pay cash for the house you live in or the car you drive? Likely no...[/b][/quote]Actually yes, and it's working out nicely for me. I can only drive what I can afford (used 96/97 Accord), and I'm not on the threadmill to make the car note/house note every month. Also, all of my gear was purchased with my own money. Credit is [i]so[/i] 20th century.

im selling the house i own now and buying the next one in cash. right now its looking like im moving to the beach. all my cars will be paid for, actually only my wifes has a loan on it... but that will be paid off when i sell the house, no CC debit either. equipment all paid for currently in full. i saw some guy on the other night while had a nice little pad in SF but i had no clue as to who he was.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

I don't care about how these people spend their money, really - and that's the question for me: why should we care? :bor: Why does a show like "Cribs" exist, if not to show off a presumeably gaudy lifestyle? Isn't it just "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" for kids? There was a slogan in WWII - sometimes you gotta ask: "Is this trip really necessary?" :D

[quote]Originally posted by Christopher Kemp There was a slogan in WWII - sometimes you gotta ask: "Is this trip really necessary?" [/quote]You just gave me the line for the week. Excellent point, Chris. :thu: Lincoln Ross Dead Black Jedis

"All conditioned things are impermanent. Work out your own salvation with diligence."

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

"And all the whiteys I've seen were living with modesty and humility and dignity. Some folks just don't get it." do your parents know you talk like that? I'm jealous, I wish I had their money and their women. I just wouldn't tell anybody about it if I did.

Archived