Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recording RHODES

clusterchord

Originally posted by Infusion:

get a really really good preamp.

How about a Really Nice Preamp? Would that count?

'Cause that's what I've got. Not quite sure how I'm going to use it... I guess I would go Rhodes to RNP to Pod.

Thanks, Superbobus! I'm quite psyched. It's pretty cool that I can flick my thumb and get all of these sick effects on my Rhodes. I love it!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Infusion, I'd love to have that Fender Twin Reverb, but that would be another beast to carry. Running the Rhodes through the POD gives me that Herbie sound and I can't possibly see what's wrong with that. What I don't like is, if I put lots of highs into my speaker sound, the POD will give this hissing noise, even with the noise gate on. It needs a very delicate adjustment to minimize the noise. Also, it doesn't work on every speaker, but I'm very happy with it. Eljefe, try also through use an effects bypass and see how your Rhodes reacts to the different amp models. Some might work better than others.

Soulstars

http://www.bobwijnen.nl

Hipness is not a state of mind, it's a fact of life.

If the POD works for you, than do it. That's actually true for everything else aswell. The POD is like a seasoning, season to taste.

I still consider the POD more of an effects unit ( a mighty fine one at that) and not primarily a preamp. I haven't had any experience with the RNP, but from the feedback on the forums, it sounds like it'll do the job well. And you still have the POD to "season" things if you want. And the Rhodes-RNP-POD chain sounds like a good one. You shouldn't have to turn your POD's level up so high, so you can avoid that hiss problem. Try it out and let us know.

Here's what I did:

Save a maximum amount of channel volume to your presets to get a good signal/noise output. Set output level to 6. Too loud will give lots of noise, too soft will make you turn your amp/speaker up too much, so you still keep noise. I'm using an active speaker. Apparently that's more sensitive for high tones than a guitar amp (duh!).

Also set your Rhodes output to the max.

Soulstars

can't remember if I've mentioned it before but..

Consider bypassing the rhodes tone controls and taking a lead to your mixer directly from the harp... it makes a huge difference.. vey clean sound. I also use a Major Key preamp which has a BBE unit.. sounds quite nice but I get sick of replacing the batteries when I accidentally leave cables plugged in..

I tried it. It gives more bell to the sound. Still the sound stays very clean, probably because of the model I have. The 54 is known for its clean, mellow tone. I could program the POD again on different amps whitch give less noise. Thanx for the :idea: !

Soulstars

My favorite sound from a Rhodes Stage 73 comes from using a good preamp (MIllennia STT-1 or API 205 are my first choices) with the input coming directly from the RCA connector under the top. Add a Bi-Phase or Instant Phaser and you got super clean 70's rhodes sound with lots of attitude.

Since building a MKHC preamp into my Rhodes I'm able to use my Behringer V-Amp (Pod clone) without noise. The MKHC is also able to deliver very clean Rhodes sounds (bypassing the V-amp).

Grtz,

Jeroen

Archived