Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jamming over the Net?

Kwiks

There's this commercial that used to show here in Canada for high speed internet. It showed all these musicians over the world jamming with each other on some program, via the internet. Now that I have high speed internet, the prospect of being able to play with musicians all over the world is very intriguing. Does such a program exist?

Thanks

Kwiks

"It's better to regret something you did than something you didn't do." - Butthole Surfers

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I may be wrong but I don't see how everyone could stay synced up. I teach live classes over the internet using streaming audio and depending upon the amount of traffic on the net, there can be a considerable lag. I keep a computer "murmuring" in the background as a confidence test. With streaming from California to a server farm in New York, the shortest delay I get is about 2 seconds. If network traffic is heavy such as at noon when everyone jumps online to play or post on a forum :D , the delay can be as much as 30 seconds.

Not going to happen over today's internet. Not unless you've got like a DS3 to a tier 1 provider, and your partners do too.

Give us a few more years though. It's more of a protocol issue than a bandwidth issue at this point.

Although now that we have classless routing and ubiquitous NAT'ing, I'm not sure if we'll ever see widespread IPv6 deployment.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Originally posted by Music*aL:

Originally posted by Dave Pierce:

[QB]

Although now that we have classless routing and ubiquitous NAT'ing, I'm not sure if we'll ever see widespread IPv6 deployment.

/QB]

:confused:
Sorry, I went all geeky on you guys for a second there. I'll try to watch that. :D

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Archived