Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Are you ready for some HOCKEY

Fat Chance

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uh-oh, just what we DIDNT want. I really hope the Flyers somehow manage to catch the Devils now, just to avoid Nolan & the Leafs in the first round.

Mmm, pointless fact. In the last few years the Leafs have now had 3 British born players. Glen Healy (Scotland) Steve Thomas (England) & Owen Nola (Northern Ireland) Bet thats a first.

Originally posted by flyscots:

Uh-oh, just what we DIDNT want. I really hope the Flyers somehow manage to catch the Devils now, just to avoid Nolan & the Leafs in the first round.

Mmm, pointless fact. In the last few years the Leafs have now had 3 British born players. Glen Healy (Scotland) Steve Thomas (England) & Owen Nola (Northern Ireland) Bet thats a first.

Yeah...all we can hope for now is that Belfour will go insane again and disappear for a few weeks in April!!! ;)
None more black.

Haha! That would be good!

Hey, are any of you in the NHL Fans Association ? Its pretty good & its free to sign up. Its a non profit organization with the aim of giving hockey fans a voice. They dont piss you off with too many e-mails, you get an occassional questionaire and/or poll but not too much.

Have a look, its for the good of the game and the people that matter - us, the fans.

Originally posted by rog951:

Did you see the game? Are they pretty much just mailing it in now?

I got home in time to see the second and third periods.

No, they're not mailing it in. They play schizophrenically...flashes of absolute brilliance followed by entire periods where they look like they don't know where they are or what they're doing.

Sigh...

the second goal by the Ducks was a complete fluke...bad bounce, two deflections through a screen. Storr couldn't have stopped it. Hell, Roy at the top of his game would have missed it.

:(

- Jeff

Yeah...all we can hope for now is that Belfour will go insane again and disappear for a few weeks in April!!! ;)

Well, given his history, I'd be less than entirely surprised! Did you know that when he went psycho after getting pulled from that game (when he was a Star), he did $10,000 worth of damage to the locker room? Pulled TVs off the wall and smashed them, broke display cases, et cetera.

Psycho goalie boy! :eek::freak::eek:

- Jeff

Originally posted by Postman:

Psycho goalie? Isn't that redundant?

There are some pretty mild-mannered goalies. Your own David Aebischer seems pretty mellow. Of course, he's like 12 years old, so give him some time. ;)

- Jeff

Oilers 2 Kings 1 - Game over, no chance now, where's the golf clubs?

Infact, with Boston winning and Montreal's OT loss I dont think the top 8 teams will change in either conference. Nashville could make it if they win those 2 against Edmonton but it looks like we have our final 16 just about decided. Obviously there will be a few positiion changes but thats about it.

Could make for an interesting weekend's trading.

Oilers 2 Kings 1 - Game over, no chance now, where's the golf clubs?

The thing which worries me is that Dave Taylor is now going to dump Andy Murray, who has been the best Kings coach in history (in my humble opinion).

We're not out of it statistically, yet. But I told you awhile back that because of the injury situation, I wrote this season off months ago. Even if we squeak into the playoffs (which I seriously doubt wil happen), we don't have the depth without guys like Deadmarsh to progresss past round one.

Ah well. Hope the golf is nice this spring. I've run into a few Kings on local courses and at beach bars over the years. I'll tell them you said hello. :rolleyes:

- Jeff

The Canucks have been fortunate injury wise for most of the year. Now with Colorado chasing them, they have Ohlund, Chubarov and Cloutier injured. Chubarov is a checking center and they have lots of those on the farm, but Matthias Ohlund and Dan Cloutier have been sorely missed. Backup goal tender Petre Skudra has been horrible in his last 2 starts in relief of Cloutier.

They have addressed some earlier concerns - they are getting scoring from their second line (Sedin - Sedin - Linden). There are also getting scoring from the D (Jovanovski and Sopel). The powerplay which ranked in the top 5 most of the year has tailed off lately however.

Owen Nolan was a good pickup for Toronto.

Our country is not the only thing to which we owe our allegiance. It is also owed to justice and to humanity. Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong: James Bryce

Yey! :) Over 100 posts on the Hockey thread! Keep it up guys! :):thu:

Originally posted by Jeff, TASCAM Guy:

I told you awhile back that because of the injury situation, I wrote this season off months ago.

I know, I did too. When you think of all that, the Kings have done pretty well this year. I agree that Andy Murray should stay. As for best of all time, well I wouldnt know, but at least he doesnt have a Mullet!

I've run into a few Kings on local courses and at beach bars over the years. I'll tell them you said hello. :rolleyes:
Cool, please do! You're a man in the right places!

SFOracle: What do you think Vancouver's chances are in the playoffs? I notice Colorado only has one guy, Adam Foote, listed as injured and even he is day-to-day. No fair!

Notice the difference with the 2 Flyers fans here, myself & Rob? I really dont want Philly to have to play Toronto in the first round yet Rob is saying "Bring it on!" I just hate them nasty Leafs!

Nolan gets two in his debut as a Leaf.

The refs blew another game for my Caps! :mad: It's getting to be routine. At least we got a point out of it after having been down three goals early...

None more black.

Flyscots

I took my kids to the Flyers /Avs game last night.What a great game,Forsberg beat Cechmanek 26 seconds into OT.It was one of the best Flyers games I've scene all season.

I LOVE HOCKEY :thu:

On the bad news front Simon Gagne is out for the year

Peace

Rob :cool:

Caps vs. Flyers tonight! flyscots: shall we sign a pre-emptive "no-gloating" agreement? :) I'm hoping the "intense Caps" show up tonight instead of the "lazy, non-caring Caps!"

LETS GO CAPS!!!! :thu:

None more black.

shall we sign a pre-emptive "no-gloating" agreement? :)

Seeing as you're a fellow Leaf hater, yeah I'll go for that! ;) If we didnt, it would probably be a tie!

Originally posted by Chris Himself:

I HATE tie games... I don't care what game it is, I say keep playing until there's a winner.

Do you think there should be shoot-outs in the regular season, like in the Olympics & the All-Star game? I dont, but I'll hold my reasons and see what the responses are first. I love the playoff OverTimes but that would be too much during the regular season.

Originally posted by Rob:

I took my kids to the Flyers /Avs game last night. It was one of the best Flyers games I've scene all season.

On the bad news front Simon Gagne is out for the year

Cool! What a game to go to! Must've been great to see Forsberg & Co in action. What did the kids think of it? I would love to get to an NHL game, its fantastic even watching Scottish teams playing. Last year my timing was just off, I got to the States 2 days after the Ottawa disaster and left the country 3 days after the first home game of the new season. I still got to the FU Centre though, for the X Games!

Thats horrible news about Gagne, we could really do with him on form. What do you think of picking up Claude Lapointe? Seems OK as its only for a 5th rounder. Suppose he's Clarke's type of player.

John Scotsman

I'm taking my daughter and her hockey loving husband to the Avs/Coyotes game tonite! The Avs seem to still be somewhat out of sync. They were up three to none last weekend in a game and ended up losing 4 to 3. Hope they show up for tonite's game. ;) nitecrawler
"Time to head down that old Colorado highway pardner."

OK, I promised not to gloat! So, I'll just say "PHEW!" We really needed those two points!

As far as having shootouts to determine tie games, I don't think it's really a fair way to go about it. In a way, it'd probably be good for the game, money-wise, in that it's exciting to watch and might attract new fans. BUT, it's basically deciding entire games by virtue of a small part of the overall game of hockey. For example, say you end up in a hard-fought defensive 0-0 tie in regulation; I don't feel that it's fair to let the game be decided without a defenseman on the ice. I love watching shootouts during the All-Star game, etc, but not when there is real meaning...

This Friday: Caps/Kings. We need those two points too! But we never play well against LA. We'll see...

None more black.

Well done Caps! Especially without Jagr. Holds off Tampa for a little bit. At least Philly got a point out of it. There ya go Rog, that was all very civil wasnt it! ;)

Good to see Claude Lapointe scored on his debut but here's what worries me heading into the playoffs: "Goal shy Philadelphia have lost three straight and were held to two goals or fewer for the 16th time in 21 games."

Tony Amonte is a clever pick up but just how many 'spare' draft picks does Booby Clarke have to play with? Is 2 good draft picks & a player too high a price? (2nd & 3rd rounders, Guillaume Lefebvre)

Other good deals yesterday:

Richard Smehlik to NJ from Atlanta.

Stu Barnes to Dallas from Buffalo

Lyle Odelein to Dallas from Chicago

Rob Ray to Ottawa from Buffalo

Daniel Briere & Chris Gratton swapping between Phoenix & Buffalo.

I like the Briere deal for Buffalo. OK he wasnt so hot this year but I think he's got a bright future, or at least would have if he was in a good team. Barnes is a good one too.

So whats the biggie gonna be? Or are Amonte & Barnes as big as it gets this year?

John

The Flyers lose another one in OT against the Caps last night (no gloating Rog :D ) Rog will you take Primeau and Recci for Bonda :D

The Flyers signed Tony Amonte yesterday which I think is a good deal.Leclair and Amonte on the same line would be cool.

Cool! What a game to go to! Must've been great to see Forsberg & Co in action. What did the kids think of it?

My kids loved it.The Avs are they team.

Peace

Rob :thu:

Flyscots: Yes, very civil indeed...and I know from experience that it's much harder to be civil when you came up on the short end (I happen to be aquainted with MANY Penguins fans...anyone knowing the history of the Caps/Pens will understand my meaning, especially around playoff time...why did all of Pittsburgh move to Washington to work anyway? Oh yeah, we actually have jobs here :P ). I must admit, after the 1st period, I'd written the game off; didn't think we had a chance. PHEW!

Rob: Recci and Primeau for Bonzai? That sounds like a Clarke deal to me! Hmmm. Take a look at Recci's numbers against the Caps some time. It'd almost be worth it to not have to play against him. Primeau doesn't show me much in the head-to-head games really. He hasn't lived up to his potential since coming to Philly, has he? But, we sure could use a big rig center! Still, Bondra is probably my favorite Cap...I really hope we can re-sign him and retire him as a career Capital. That doesn't happen enough these days. Bondra might disappear from the scoring sheet for weeks at a time, but he makes a difference out there every night, even when he's not scoring. I think it's time for him to get his teeth fixed though...

None more black.

No way, cant give up Primeau OR Recchi, never mind BOTH of them! If either was to be traded it would have to be something special.

Meanwhile in crazy rumor land:

According to the New York Post

The New York Rangers are offering defensemen Vladimir Malakhov or Tom Poti looking for Buffalo's Miro Satan or Washington's Peter Bondra.

:eek::eek::eek:

Surely this cant happen. Bondra would cost a hell of a lot more than that plus the Rangers cant trade away defensemen when thats what they need. Stupid rumor! Satan on the other hand, would be a good pick up for somebody.

John

No way, cant give up Primeau OR Recchi, never mind BOTH of them! If either was to be traded it would have to be something special.

Meanwhile in crazy rumor land:

According to the New York Post

The New York Rangers are offering defensemen Vladimir Malakhov or Tom Poti looking for Buffalo's Miro Satan or Washington's Peter Bondra.

:eek::eek::eek:

Surely this cant happen. Bondra would cost a hell of a lot more than that plus the Rangers cant trade away defensemen when thats what they need. Stupid rumor! Satan on the other hand, would be a good pick up for somebody.

John

Yeah, and Buffalo is cleaning house anyway. I wouldn't be too surprised to see him go somewhere. And yes, the Caps have an obvious defensive need. But, to me, Poti=Gonchar. We don't really need another offense-first defenseman. Malakov I don't really know too much about other than hearing good things. I'm just afraid one of these deals might do more harm than good for the Caps...not to mention breaking my heart! :cry:
None more black.

SFOracle: What do you think Vancouver's chances are in the playoffs? I notice Colorado only has one guy, Adam Foote, listed as injured and even he is day-to-day. No fair!

I'm hesitant to project any playoff success for Vancouver - out of fear that I will jinx the team. Vancouver takes a deep playoff run about every 10 years (1994, 1982, 1975) so they are about due. I like their chances better than last year primarily because they won't face Detroit, Dallas or Colorado in the first round.

I think the most significant thing for Vancouver is to hold off Colorado (3 pts back now) to get a better playoff seeding, and to get Cloutier and Ohlund healthy.

With only a couple of hours left, I don't expect Brian Burke to do anything at the trading deadline. The Canucks greatest need is for additional depth on defense, but they are not willing to give up prospects or breakup a pretty good team to "rent" a player who will be a free agent in July.

The difference last year in the playoffs was goal tending - Cloutier folded after letting in a couple of soft goals. Cloutier has been very solid this year, but he is recovering from injury. Earlier in the year he started rather slow after returning from (the same) injury. We can't afford that at this time of year. Backup Petre Skudra is not going to take us deep into the playoffs.

Matthias Ohlund is not even skating yet (just started on the stationary bike). Will he return in time for the playoffs?

The other significant injury is third line center Artem Chubaroff. The Canucks have enough depth here to deal with his absence.

Bottom line - if the injured players return, the Canucks have as good a chance as anyone to emerge from the Western Conference.

Our country is not the only thing to which we owe our allegiance. It is also owed to justice and to humanity. Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong: James Bryce

If the Canucks don't do an about-face in the playoffs (hello, Ottawa), I have to think they'll make it at least to the conference finals. They're a very good team. Much better than last year. The only thing that is going against them is that Detroit, Dallas and Colorado are all battle hardened teams (read: they have a lot of playoff experience). Sure the Canucks have been perennial playoff participants, but they've also be perennial playoff early round exits.

Archived