Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Are you ready for some HOCKEY

Fat Chance

Originally posted by Jeff, TASCAM Guy:

Vancouver looks frighteningly good right now.

So does the top half of the Western Conference Playoff group. There are gonna be some incredible match-ups. We could even have Detroit vs Colorado in the first round! Although I doubt that now that Yzerman is back.

Jeff I agree. Kings should make the playoffs, but they will probably be beaten by Dallas or Vancouver. Minnesota on the other hand, might surprise some people. Maybe not by knocking out one of the big guns, but by putting up a damn good fight trying.

SFOracle: Welcome back to HockeyLand! Do you really think Vancouver would do well in the playoffs if they were to loose Naslund and/or Bertuzzi to injury? Glad to hear the Sedin twins are doing well but could they really step it up if they needed to?

God I hope Owen Nolan doesnt end up at Toronto like all the rumours are suggesting. He should go back to his hometown and play for the Belfast Giants!

John Scotsman

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by flyscots:

Do you really think Vancouver would do well in the playoffs if they were to loose Naslund and/or Bertuzzi to injury?

Ha! That's like asking how well the Lakers would do in the basketball playoffs without Kobe and/or Shaq. The answer is not all too well.

- Jeff

Yeah I know, I just thought he was implying that Vancouver's second line is good enough, whereas I think if they lost either one of those guys they'd have no chance.

By the way, as a non basketball fan, I'd love to see the Lakers play without Shaq. I hate the way he gets so many calls in his favor by running over/into players.

Right, thats enough basketball talk for this thread!

Unless Owen Nolan ends up in a Caps jersey (never happen - too much $$$) I hope he stays out west! If he really lands in Toronto, I'll have to find a way to accomplish the impossible and hate them even more! They are already such a PIA to play against. Whenever I've seen them play this year, it seemed like the new obstruction crack-down just didn't apply to them...

And let me just say "Fuck you Darcy Tucker!" Phew, I feel better now! :)

None more black.

No Chris NO!

You cant change your UNKLE avatar for a Leafs one! Surely thats a crime in some states! UNKLE are excellent!

Rog - thats part of the reason I hate the Leafs, they seem to get away with more than any other team yet moan more than any other team. At least they dont seem to be moaning as much now that CuJo is in Detroit. That was some thrashing last night! Thankfully putting the Flyers back on home ice for round 1.

Chris please note: I'm making some of these comments a little blindly as I havent seen much of the LEafs this season.

John Scotsman

>>>I'm making some of these comments a little blindly as I havent seen much of the LEafs this season<<<

It's even WORSE this year! :mad:

The NHL front office is totally in bed with their precious Leafs! They've got a special rule book for 'em. :P

None more black.

Wow! How weird is it that we were just discussing the implications of Vancouvers' top players getting injured, and then last night Bertuzzi took a high stick and an eye injury?

Probably nothing that'll affect him and the team long-term, but...still pretty coincidental, eh?

- Jeff

Wow! How weird is it that we were just discussing the implications of Vancouvers' top players getting injured, and then last night Bertuzzi took a high stick and an eye injury?

Probably nothing that'll affect him and the team long-term, but...still pretty coincidental, eh?

What?!?! :eek: I'm starting to worry that I've got some special powers or something. Last week, a guy that was staying at the hotel I work in was hitting on the girl I was with. She told me the next day he had touched her "inappropriately" Well, I was telling a friend about this and said I wished the worse on him. 10 minutes later he was having a hyperglycemic fit and was taken to hospital in a coma!

He is fine now but I fear I have unknown special powers! Its a shame to hear about Bertuzzi. I hope he is fine for the playoffs and helps to halt one of the big three (Detroit, Colorado & Dallas)

Chris:- thanks, I think I can put up with it for that long coz hopefully the Flyers will knock the Leafs out in the first round! Hey, we need to talk UNKLE sometime - when I'm not drunk like I am now!

John

Rog, I take it you are referring to the last gasp goal by the Devs, followed by an overtime winner. Just about giving up the division lead to Tampa in the process. Could have done with a Caps win to try and haul NJ of the top in the Atlantic.

Yuskevich eh?! Good deal for Flyers, maybe. Pointless deal? Yeah, when its scoring thats needed. Only New Jersey have conceded less goals than the Flyers this season, so why sign a defenseman. What do you think of the deal for the Kings Jeff?

What do you think of the deal for the Kings Jeff?

It's a weird, pointless deal as far as I can tell. The Kings gave away Yuskevich for nothing (a 4th round pick in 2003 and a 7th round pick in 2004). Yuskevich hasn't managed to do much of anything for the Kings, and we gave away Bednar and Liljia for him this year.

My Kings are four points out of the playoffs, and playing the Ducks and the Oilers in consecutive crucial games. Here's the West as of today.

WESTERN CONFERENCE

1 DALLAS 87

2 VANCOUVER 86

3 DETROIT 80

4 ST LOUIS 80

5 COLORADO 80

6 MINNESOTA 73

7 ANAHEIM 72

8 EDMONTON 68

9 NASHVILLE 65

10 LOS ANGELES 64

11 PHOENIX 62

12 CHICAGO 62

13 SAN JOSE 59

14 COLUMBUS 55

15 CALGARY 54

- Jeff

I think the only reason the Flyers made the deal was to add a bit off experience to the blue line.

BOOby Clarke said:

Hitchcock said that he wanted eight defensemen. We have been using two rookies in our group and youre not going to go through the playoffs without getting injuries. Yushkevich is still a really good player and solid defensively. Hell be a real good addition for us.

HOW ABOUT THE NASHVILLE PREDATORS! :eek:

Looking at the battle for the last few spots in the West, I was seeing Chicago fall, seeing Edmonton slipping, Minnesota staying strong, LA climbing & Phoenix with an outside chance if they hit a good run. NOT ONCE did I notice or pay attention to Nashville, where the hell did they come from?!

No doubt the Oilers games are the deciders Jeff other than Nashville being in the way) Potential 8 point swing.

John Scotsman

Another useless trade by Bobby Clarke.For a team that needs guys that can put the puck in the net,why trade for a defenseman?What's up with that.

Leclair will be back in a week and a half and Gagne is day to day.Hopefully the Flyers can make a run in the playoffs and not get dumped in the first round :D

Peace

Rob

HOW ABOUT THE NASHVILLE PREDATORS! :eek:

Definite surprise. Kings have had trouble with them this year.

Again, whatever happens on Tuesdday and Thursday night for my team will probably determine their chances for a playoff berth. With Anaheim and Edmonton in a row, we have to play at top form. otherwise, they might as well hone their golf games, since they won't be playing from mid-April until the 2003-04 season.

- Jeff

Trade deadline in 8 days. Time for the crazyness to begin.

Slava Kozlov. I'm sure he'd be a good pick up for almost anyone but I think the Thrashers should hold on to him. They're going in the right direction and he can only help with his experience in amongst so much young talent.

Sergei Federov. This one's a bit wild. They were talking about it on ESPN last night how the Wings have an abundance of good centers and have even more to come next year. Federov wants 5 years and BIG money that the Wings dont want to cough up. I dont think they should let him go as he is too valuable to the team and at 33 has more years to go than the likes of Yzerman & Larionov. IF it does happen I think this will be an off season deal rather than a deadline deal.

Now for the most ridiculous one of all.

MARIO LEMIEUX!!! Surely this cant happen, can it? Surely the league wouldnt allow an owner of one team to play for another. Now think about this in a business sense. Penguins are struggling and by Lemieux's own words they are looking to the future since trading Kovalev. They have all but given up on this year. As we know, they are in serious financial trouble. Can you imagine how much cheap, young talent could be aquired in a deal involving Lemieux!? Mario could be sneaky about it and retire due to injury soon after the trade.

Let me state, before you all crucify me. I do not believe this will happen but it was talked about on TV last night so I thought I'd post the possibilites here to see what you all thought. I doubt it will happen, coz he wants to play, but as a businessman it could be in his best interests and it could be best for the team he loves so much. On the other hands, will the fans desert the igloo if there are no stars on display?

Happy thinking!

John Scotsman

Meanwhile in Denver...

The Avs have climbed within four points of the Canucks and a mere seven points behind Dallas. The amazing thing is that they're not firing on all cylinders right now: the new second line, now headed by Sakic, hasn't gelled yet. If they do, look out. There isn't a team in the league that will stop them.

Except maybe the Canucks who have impressed me every time I've seen them play the Avs. At times their passing is just plain mesmerizing.

I'm tired of eye injuries in the NHL. They make my stomach turn. When are they going to make visors or masks mandatory? I wear one. Yes, I can see better without one, but not that much better. I say force the players to wear them. It's no fun to see any player lose an eye.

Yeah, Palffy & more.

Colorado - Hejduk, Forsberg, Tanguay - What a line!

21 road wins so far for Vancouver - thats impressive.

Rangers almost in the top 8, but they seem to be forgetting (or ignoring) that the 3 teams above them each have 4 games in hand. Plus now they have lost defenseman Vladimir Malakhov to injury. Maybe Montreal can sneek in if Boston keep slipping up.

Postman - any trade talk in Denver? I know they dont really need to but they usually pull of something spectacular this time of year.

Flyers reassigned Defensemen Dennis Seidenberg and Jim Vandermeer to the Phantoms (minors) making way for Yuskevich. So thats their reward for playing so well. :rolleyes:

Rob, what is it you do at the First Union Center? I remember you couldnt make it to one of our nights out coz you were working at a Korn gig. Is it a musical position you have or are you there for all events?

John Scotsman

The Canucks looked pretty flat last night against the Flyers.I wasn't that impressed with Markus Naslund,but Todd Bertuzzi is an animal :D .The Canucks just ran into a hot goalie in Roman Cechmanek who tied Ron Hextall record for shutouts (18).Cechmanek made some monster saves in the third period to keep the Flyers in the game.

John

I'm a stagehand at the FU Center.

Cheers Rob. I was hoping the 3-0 win over the 'nucks was more testament to the Flyers hitting form than Vancouver being unimpressive. glad Cechmanek is hot though. Right enough about the Hextall stat, thats him tied 2nd all time as a Flyer now. Dunno if he'll ever reach Bernie Parents 50 though.

Sorry Jeff, I thought there were 2 games against the Oilers to come, not just the one. Even winning that probably wont be enough. Looking at the remaining games the Kings have got Colorado twice, Vancouver twice & Detroit. The only one of the top top teams Edmonton have to play is Dallas. Ok you could add the blues, Leafs & Caps in there but overall the Kings have it much tougher. The Oilers do have 2 crunch games with Nashville coming up though, should be interesting.

Postman - any trade talk in Denver? I know they dont really need to but they usually pull of something spectacular this time of year.

John Scotsman

No, just a lot of wondering if Pierre will make his annual big trade. A lot of people (including me) think the team is pretty darn good as it is. If you ask most Avs fans they tell you the team doesn't have any glaring deficiencies. But in Denver it's "In Pierre we trust," especially considering that while the firing of Coach Hartley was unpopular and harsh, it does appear to have had the desired effect to most people's surprise.

My Kings are toast. :(

I suppose if they win every game for the rest of the year, they'll likely make the playoffs. Do I think that's going to happen? Nope. :(

- Jeff

Sorry man. That was a rough loss last night. It's gonna be pretty tough getting in now but crazier things have happened. Did you see the game? Are they pretty much just mailing it in now?
None more black.

Archived