Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

EJ concert

Dave Bryce

Oh my goodness - what a show!

As host Eric McCormack (TVs Will of Will and Grace) put it, it was the wrold's coolest karaoke - basically, the EJ band playing EJ songs with different folks singing and playing.

Here's as much of the lineup as I can remember:

Nikki Costa played Levon

Rufus Wainwright played Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

Eric McCormack lived out a childhood fantasy and sang Captain Fantastic (the first album that he ever bought) with the band - he was great!

Jewel killed Your Song

Bruce Hornsby did Burn Down the Mission

Norah Jones did a sucky Tiny Dancer

Brian McKnight played piano and sang Rocket Man

Vanessa Carlton limped through Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me

Diana Krall killed Border Song

Brian Wilson did Someone Saved My Life Tonight (there's not a lot left of him...most of us were horrified)

Take 6 did Philadelphia Freedom

Randy Newman did an amazing Bennie and the Jets

Ray Charles did Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word

Michael McDonald devastated Take Me To The Pilot

The cast of Lion King did Circle of Life

Then...

EJ came out and played Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding (the best I've ever seen it), a few songs from his new album, Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters, Sacrifice (with John Maher), I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues, The Bitch Is Back, Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting, and closed with Crocodile Rock.

It ruuuuuled. One of the best shows I've ever seen. I'm betting they'll release it on DVD.

Hey, the Korg-sponsored Herbie Hancock/ Joe Zawinul show the night before didn't suck a bit either.

I love my job...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

damn, that sounds like one of the most amazing shows ever...i do hope it was recorded for release.

saw herbie at namm today..looking spiffy as always.

geez, i'm just in awe at the talent brought together for that show.

damn.

Dave is right it was awesome.

I was with Herbie Hancock and Lee Ritenhour this morning Herbie told me he played on the big finale. Unfortunately, Mike Martin and I had to leave just before the last number. I would have liked to have seen it.

Take Care,

George Hamilton

Yamaha US

C'mon Dave - that aint nothing. While you were bored doing that I got to sit on a totally packed plane, middle seat(6'2" - me not the seat), real slow taxi out to the runway followed by maintenace problem anouncement (should only be a couple minute delay) followed by taxi back to the terminal, announcement to stay in seat ( 10 min delay ) followed by announcemnet to get off the plane followed with correction to stay on the plane after half the peolpe got off, etc etc. Finally got back to 12 deg temp in DC 8:00 the next morning. Stick THAT on DVD. BTW dont forget - buy UAL stock - " We're employee owned"

Brrr

Jeez Dave, I wuz just gonna brag that EJ and Billy Joel are slated to do a concert together here in Indianapolis soon. But, after that show you just saw, who cares?

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

ME: "Nobody knows the troubles I've seen!"

Unknown Voice: "The Shadow do!"

Originally posted by marino:

Sounds really incredible, Dave.

What about some details on the Hancock/Zawinul thing... I'm green with envy :D

Bill "Tinder Arts" Plummer can give better details - he knew all of the players, and probably all of the tunes (which I didn't). I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable as he is on those guys.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Oh my goodness - what a show!

As host Eric McCormack (TVs Will of Will and Grace) put it, it was the wrold's coolest karaoke - basically, the EJ band playing EJ songs with different folks singing and playing.

EJ came out and played Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding (the best I've ever seen it), a few songs from his new album, Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters, Sacrifice (with John Maher), I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues, The Bitch Is Back, Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting, and closed with Crocodile Rock.

It ruuuuuled. One of the best shows I've ever seen. I'm betting they'll release it on DVD.

Hey, the Korg-sponsored Herbie Hancock/ Joe Zawinul show the night before didn't suck a bit either.

I love my job...

dB

Eric did a great job singing captain fantastic .

I thought the show was better than the M.Mcdonald show a few years ago .

I definately had a great time . Dano

www.esnips.com/web/SongsfromDanO

Does Elton John have his piano connected via midi to a module ? That's what it sounded like ot me .

Do you need a module to be able to get the best piano sound for an Arena ?

Doesn't Billy Joel have his piano rigged to a kurzweil module ?

Actually there wasn't a single "real" piano heard that entire night. Both of those Yamaha grands were MIDI'ed up to Yamaha's new P250. EJ has his sound tweeked a bit with an extra layer from a module, some added chorus among other things.

Billy Joel is using a PC2X mounted into a grand piano cabinet.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Word on the street (no, I didn't go) was that poor Vanessa Carlton actually mumbled her way through "Don't Let the Sun go Down on Me", speaking some of the lyrics instead of singing. Think she was just overwhelmed by her stagemates? I sure as hell would have been.

- Jeff

Originally posted by Magpel:

Dave, when you say "Jewel Killed your song," do you mean in a good or bad way?

She was spectacular. I had no idea she was that good.

dB

AGREED ! :thu:

She was spectacular. I had no idea she was that good.

dB

I saw Jewel before she broke, warming up for Jeff Buckley before he, um, broke.

I remember her being a really confident solo performer. She did things with her voice that irritated me. Otherwise I thought she was fine...

...But you've got to remember, always remember the amazing, mesmerizing, never-pass-this-way-again talent of Jeff Buckley. This was a couple of months before Grace was released. I had never heard anything by him. My wife and I were white as sheets, shellshocked, leaving that little theater in San Diego. When I bought Grace, and examined it by the cold light of day, I came to feel it was a flawed album by a young'un over-eager to show his range and his passion. No problem, thought I. He's got a long career in which to mature...

But we were speaking of Jewel. Buckley's why I can't really remember much of what she was like live. Buckley was nothing less than a God live. Or at least an angel.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Originally posted by Mike Martin:

[QB]EJ has his sound tweeked a bit with an extra layer from a module, some added chorus among other things.[QB]

Somebody ought to do something about this... perhaps I could bribe his keyboard tech to make him switch the effects off? I really don´t like Elton´s sound with those efx... :eek::eek::eek: Love his playing, vocals and the songs, though. Anybody remember his appearance on MTV´s Live and Unplugged about 10 years ago? That sounded really great; Elton alone with a grand piano, taunting boy bands and playing great music... :D:D:D

/J :D nas

Archived