Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Congrats to Mike Martin!

Dave Bryce

Thanks again everyone. Thanks for the feedback as well.

Gulliver, here is the info you requested.

http://www.yamaha.com/dmi/products/fs1r/index.htm

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Bubbajazz:

Mike - One more Kurzweiler who remembers your helpful advice congratulates you.

Does the AW4416 fall in your domain? or is it instruments only?

Best of luck.

Are you having a problem with one or do you just have some questions? If it's the latter, I might be able to help you out. ;)

Congrats Mike. I hope Yamaha realises how lucky they are to have you. Now, down to business.

When is the Motif Rack hitting stores?

Any idea what will replace the AN200 and DX200 since stores have been selling them out. (Great buy if anyone does not have one of these yet.)

What can we expect from Yamaha at NAMM?

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Congratulations to you Mr. Martin!!!

If you don't mind, may I direct you to a THREAD over at the Motifator.com forums, a thread which generated a lot of replies and views from Motif users which we all feel will help a lot in the sampling features of the Motif. We all feel that we could enhance the experience of manually mapping multisamples in the Motif. To do this, thirdparty conversion software could really be of great help in this issue. The moderator of the forum had replied once that Yamaha is willing to share the Motif sample format code to thirdparty sample format conversion programmers such as Awave, CDExtract, and Translator but alas hasn't materialized yet. Just wondering if you have information about this and what's the progress on this issue. Thanks and congrats again!!!

Hello everyone. Again thanks for all the words of encouragement. I'm really looking forward to this new position.

Now in regards to some of the questions. Since I've just started last week and this week is the NAMM show, it may take me a little while to get up to speed on a everything. I'll find out about the Motif rack availability, and in due time I'll find out more about the Motif sampling capabilities and what can be improved through software updates if anything. So it may take a little while but I'm trying to watch the Motifator forums as much as possible to find out what the users like and don't like about the products. Thanks for your patience.

Phil - The AW series also fall into the DMI category. :)

Take Care,

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Congrats Mike,

I've always appreciated the fact that you've monitored and participated in this forum (and I'm sure others). I've sensed that Yamaha has been lurking on various forums and lists, but for whatever reason didn't want to engage. The winners are those who engage. It isn't always fun, but customers greatly appreciate someone who is willing to take some arrows along the way in an effort to help people who are simply trying to figure out how to use these products.

Best wishes.

Busch.

Congratulations Mike! Thank you for your time in answering my questions about Kurzweil products. The fact that you took the time helped me decide to go with that brand (along with it's sound quality). I wish you all the best with Yamaha. :thu:

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

Congrats, Mike! Yamaha is gaining someone with lots of knowledge and you are gaining a new group of customers with lots of questions. ;)

Superbobus, proud owner of two Yamahas that both fell of a stand (by my own mistake) and never gave in.

Soulstars

http://www.bobwijnen.nl

Hipness is not a state of mind, it's a fact of life.

Well, I've tried to resist... I swear it. I've said to myself "It's useless, not really worth..." But now that I know that Mike Martin is at Yamaha, and with some power to influence their plans in designing instruments, I just have to pull it out of my chest. In short, I'd like to describe an instrument that nobody is manufacturing yet, and that could be very desirable IMHO. Please Mike forgive my naivetè... :D

OK let's talk about weighted keyboards. There seems to be some perverse deal among instrument manufacturers leading them all to believe that:

1) Pianists always want and need 88 keys in a keyboard or digital piano;

2) They like to do some body-building just before playing, carrying their 88-key instruments;

3) A 76-key keyboard has to have synth-like keys, or "semi-weighting" at the most.

You have seen where I'm leading already... Personally, I've stopped to carry my 88-key controller (Fatar 2001) to concerts, unless I have roadies. Needless to say, since I'm a pianist, I sorely miss weghted keys - but I find that carrying 57lbs. (plus case) around just before playing is even worse for me. I got slipped disks in my back, and the main cause is, I have transported more heavy keyboards in my life, than a mere human can handle.

I've often asked myself, what's an 88-key controller for? Maybe all keyboardists are going to play Romantic piano repertoire? Or Cecil Taylor-influenced improvisations? Set 15 split points? Just because it's the standard lenght of the *piano* keyboard, we're forced to carry those big, cumbersome and heavy things around.

Now, two main things: Yamaha already makes what I consider the best weighted keyboard in mid-priced instruments - the one on the P80 and P120 digital pianos and the S80 synth (I think there are a few minor differences, but they're all excellent).

And second, they have made a big step in the right direction by making the P80 and P120 among the lightest in their category.

If you apply this to my former reasoning, my wish, no, my plea, is very clear:

Don't you think that a *fully* weighted, 76-key, LIGHT master keyboard or digital piano would be an huge success? I would think so - In fact, I would be the first to buy it! :D

Personally, I would prefer a master controller over a digital piano; something with pitch and mod wheels, MIDI in with merge, a couple of MIDI out, programmable zones, aftertouch... But there could very well be slots for sound cards, should someone want them. The wheels could be put over the keyboard, Fatar-style, to keep the instrument small; in a 76-key instrument, that shouldn't be too inconvenient.

I believe that such an instrument would be a dream come true for a lot of pianists and keyboardists, especially if they would manage to make it really light, while keeping the full weighting of the keyboard; and Yamaha is the right manufacturer to do it. I was about to chop both ends out of a P80 a while ago - no kidding! That's how much I would need such an instrument!

OK I'm done - if you've made it till here, please forgive the lenght, and I hope my English is still understandable at this time of the night!! :D

Carlo

Sorry to offer my congratulations so late Mike... I'll see you at NAMM for sure. If during your SoCal tenure you ever decide to get away from the city and come up the coast a bit, I'll show you and your family around Santa Barbara.

And everybody else... I know Mike to be an extremely enthusiastic and knowledgable product guy. Let's give him some time to find the men's room and coffee maker at Yamaha, THEN drill him with questions! :D

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

It's funny, I started a thread here at KC 2 years ago called "To The Synth Industry" (I think that was the title) asking people to post all their ideas for improvements in synths for folks like Mike M. who would hopefully be lurking or even better, like he does, actually posting. Now that we know he has a new position in product development we are going to drive him nuts :D mainly with all of our big :idea:

Seriously though you know there are many players here who have owned a lot of keyboards over the years and have seen many great features on synths come and go. Some like the "patch remain" feature (suggested, I think by Dave B) where the sound you are playing is not cut off by a patch change, but changes only after you have lifted you fingers. Anyone else think that should be standard on keyboards?

I think Carlo's idea of the 76 weighted keyboard would be nice but personally I still want 88. I just want a keyboard as powerfull as the Motif in a keyboard the size of the P80 :P

The current use of particle board on the bottom of keyboards I think is a big no-no. Particle board is HEAVY. I would be willing to pay an extra $40 for 10 less pounds.

Well, before I get too carried away, let me too say: congratulations Mike!

The atmosphere around here is charged like a bunch of voters who got their man in office and are expecting sweeping changes to be made.

Day (S80 owner)

Carlo your Englich is fine

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

Originally posted by marino:

OK let's talk about weighted keyboards. There seems to be some perverse deal among instrument manufacturers leading them all to believe that:

1) Pianists always want and need 88 keys in a keyboard or digital piano;

2) They like to do some body-building just before playing, carrying their 88-key instruments;

3) A 76-key keyboard has to have synth-like keys, or "semi-weighting" at the most.

You have seen where I'm leading already... Personally, I've stopped to carry my 88-key controller (Fatar 2001) to concerts, unless I have roadies. Needless to say, since I'm a pianist, I sorely miss weghted keys - but I find that carrying 57lbs. (plus case) around just before playing is even worse for me. I got slipped disks in my back, and the main cause is, I have transported more heavy keyboards in my life, than a mere human can handle.

I've often asked myself, what's an 88-key controller for? Maybe all keyboardists are going to play Romantic piano repertoire? Or Cecil Taylor-influenced improvisations? Set 15 split points? Just because it's the standard lenght of the *piano* keyboard, we're forced to carry those big, cumbersome and heavy things around.

Carlo

I agree with what Marino says 100%. I have found the 76 note size to be perfect for playing gigs. I used to own an Ensoniq with a 76 note weighted action. It played great but it still weighed 52lbs which is one of the reasons I got rid of it. Back in the 80's I owned a Yamaha PF-15 electric piano. The 88 note weighted action was great on it, though, even then, I wished it was availible in a 76 note weighted version. I use 3 keyboards (one being a Yamaha synth) so having zone splits are not that important to me. I now use a Kurzweil SP-76 as a controller. While I have gotten used to it's semi-weighted action, I sometimes miss playing gigs on a weighted action keybed (I love it's 28lb weight though). My back is not in the shape it was 25 years ago when I could lug a B-3 and Fender Rhodes (which probably contributed to the problems). So I quess being an 'older' player has put some constraints on what I want to lug around. If keyboard manufactures can come up with a 76 note controller/piano with a keybed that mimics a weighted action that does not weigh a ton, I would buy it!! ;)

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

Carlo, is your desire for a 76-note weighted keyboard based on the length of the keyboard or primarily the weight of the keyboard? That is, would your ideal keyboard be an 88-note if the weight was light enough?

I agree with you about the weight thing - for me, the magic number is 40 lbs, anything over that I find to be too much effort to heft around. But 35 lbs or 30 lbs would be even nicer! I think it must be possible. Noone thought you could have a weighted action 88-note digital piano before the "slab-style" pianos came along, first the Technics P30 then the Yamaha P80.

Marino,

I read your post the first time, just haven't had time to respond due to NAMM. Thanks for the advice, I'll certainly look into weighted 76 note models in the future, Ensoniq was the last company I know to do it (though FATAR might still be making one). I'm sure Yamaha has already done some market research on the topic, I'll look into it some more.

Once again thank you very much!

-Mike Martin

-Mike Martin

Casio

Originally posted by GuestUser:

Carlo, is your desire for a 76-note weighted keyboard based on the length of the keyboard or primarily the weight of the keyboard?

Just the weight of the instrument.

That is, would your ideal keyboard be an 88-note if the weight was light enough?

Maybe, but frankly, I find that for my needs, 76 keys are enough 95% of times. I mean, I've played the Brahms G minor Rhapsody, and that goes to the lowest A - but I'm not going to attempt it on a master keyboard! :D Even for serious jazz gigs, I can do without those extra keys.

I agree with you about the weight thing - for me, the magic number is 40 lbs, anything over that I find to be too much effort to heft around. But 35 lbs or 30 lbs would be even nicer! I think it must be possible.

It should be. I was talking with someone at Fatar a while ago, and he said that the materials are available to build lighter instruments, but the cost would be higher. But I would gladly pay a bit more to have a portable weighted instrument... especially if it had a great keybed and good MIDI! :)

Noone thought you could have a weighted action 88-note digital piano before the "slab-style" pianos came along, first the Technics P30 then the Yamaha P80.

That's why I thought about making the keyboard shorter. Even with the existing technolgy - just imagine a P80 with a shorter keyboard, maybe with wheels on the top of the bottom keys; it wouldn't be much longer than a typical 5-octave synth (with wheels/levers on the left of the keys)... I know more than a few pianists/keyboardists that would be interested for sure!

On a side note, I've played the Fatar 1176 more than once, but it still weights more than a P80... And the keybed is not comparable with the Yamahas, nor with the latest Fatar models.

Thanks a lot Mike for your attention, :) and my deepest apologies for having turned this thread into something else... Congrats again! :D;):thu:

Carlo

Originally posted by GuestUser:

Noone thought you could have a weighted action 88-note digital piano before the "slab-style" pianos came along, first the Technics P30 then the Yamaha P80.

Oops, I meant to say, noone thought you could have a weighted action 88-note digital under 40 lbs before the Technics P30 and Yamaha P80 came along, especially considering how good those actions are.

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

Are you having a problem with one or do you just have some questions? If it's the latter, I might be able to help you out. ;)

Sorry - I've been traveling for the last 2 weeks - Phil - the question was general, but hoping that another friendly voice I have had great personal experience with was responsible for ongoing development. You remain the champ for 4416 questions, and I really appreciate your constant willingness to lend a hand. (sound of sucking up)

However - now that you're here...

I never could get the J-Station digital outs to work with the spdif ins on the 4416. I tried switching to external sync as suggested- same error message. I am assuming (still) that there is something I'm going to kick myself for missing in the manuals and your reply, but didn't want to waste too much forum space. So I'm still fumbling along with analog ins.

Thanks as always.

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

BTW, I think the AW series falls under John Schauer's domain.

Phil, it looks like you're right. How could I have doubted you. :)

-Mike Martin

Casio

Archived