Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's that synth Winwood uses on "The Finer Things"?

TheMightyTonewheel

Hi folks,

An engineer friend of mine and I were sitting in his studio last week, waiting for his (late) client. He was playing some songs from his CD collection to ask me if I had samples or sounds of the synths we were listening to. At one point, he put on Steve Winwood's "The Finer Things", which has a lead-in synth line and synth solo. But, as familiar as the sound was (I'd even played it a few times), I couldn't identify it! I must have heard it a million times.

My best guess was a Fairlight, but I can't be certain. Anyone know it?

It's more blessed to give than it is to receive;

Except when it comes to free advice, I believe.

-Bruce Cockburn

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Twarn't no Nord 3... that didn't exist back then. I remember that pentatonic solo well... it sounds like the sort of sound the Minimoog was famous for.

I had a Top-40 band in college, back in the dim and distant 80's, and programmed a patch which came damn close to that on, of all things, a Yamaha DX-7.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Nord?!? The song was recorded in 1986, fer cryinoutloud! The D50 didn't even exist yet then, much less Nord! :P

You guys are goofin', right? RIGHT? :eek:

On the liner notes, someone is credited with PPG Waveterm programming on that song, but I don't think it was used for the lead. There are other synth parts in that tune that sound more PPG-ish.

FWIW, the video shows him playing the solo on a DX7. There are other DX7 parts in the tune, and that lead sound is actually pretty easy to get on the DX, so that may well be what he used. Either that or the Multimoog, which is what he used for the lead on "While You See A Chance".

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

I recall this song was transcribed in an old Keyboard magazine. I can dig it up in my collection. If I'm not mistaken, there was a mini-interview with Winwood and he said that it was a Minimoog.

This was a mid-80's song, recorded nearly a decade before the first Nord Lead was on the market. So it just isn't possible that it was a Nord Lead.

I will post again after I find the magazine.

Regards,

Eric

Originally posted by eric:

This was a mid-80's song, recorded nearly a decade before the first Nord Lead was on the market.

Nevertheless, I think we're being a little hasty in ruling out the Nord just yet, am I wrong? I would also be willing to bet it's a Nord.

Constantin

So basically, your contention is that Steve Winwood traveled into the future, so that he could record this solo with a synthesizer that hadn't been invented yet?

I always knew Steve was a multi-talented guy, but to transcend the physical laws of the universe? I gotta find out what teacher this guy studied with! :freak:

If anyone saves their old Keyboard magazines, in the 5/89 issue there's a Winwood interview & transcription of this song (which I do not have). I specifically recall him describing how his "distinctive" synth sound had much more to do with pitch-bend technique than any peculiar sound source (& I think he did actually mention the keyboard he used, which as I recall was nothing exotic for the time).

NORD???

You guys....you are all HIGH!!!!!

Read again...THE NORD DID NOT EXIST 1986!!!

I don't care what it sounds like...IT IS NOT A NORD!!!

Geez...what part of "didn't exist" don't you understand???

It's like saying that DiVinci did the Mona Lisa with PrintShop!! It's NOT POSSIBLE!!

Ok...whew. I feel better now.

My band Thousand Houses: www.thousandhouses.com

Well, let~s see if I can figure this out

DM = Ashley Judd = White Chocolate = Salma Hayek = Charlize Theron = Constantin Kroyolev = Junior III = Capone = Strapping Young lad = not as funny as s/he thinks he is.

Did I miss anyone? :rolleyes:

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

This topic is pretty surreal.

I do recall reading that Clavia asked Steve Winwood to be their chief beta tester. Maybe that's how that cliched Nord Lead 3 sound snuck into that song.

The Nord Lead 3 was supposedly their very first product and I have heard that the prototype was released back in 1985 when Steve was putting the finishing touches on "Back in the High Life." Similar to George Lucas and Star Wars, Clavia started their Lead series on #3 and then went back to the first two at a later date. Winwood identified some show stopper bugs in the Nord 3, so it did not make it to prime time until 2000, some 5 years after the Nord Lead 1 was released.

If you watch those MTV videos closely, there is a red keyboard in his rig. Back in the 80's I never knew what it was, but now I suspect it was the prototype Nord Lead 3.

:)

Regards,

Eric

Originally posted by Calumet:

NORD???

You guys....you are all HIGH!!!!!

Read again...THE NORD DID NOT EXIST 1986!!!

I don't care what it sounds like...IT IS NOT A NORD!!!

Geez...what part of "didn't exist" don't you understand???

It's like saying that DiVinci did the Mona Lisa with PrintShop!! It's NOT POSSIBLE!!

Ok...whew. I feel better now.

Hey, it could have been a used Nord. It didn't have to be a new one. Did you ever consider that? Open your mind buddy.

Busch.

Originally posted by burningbusch:

Hey, it could have been a used Nord. It didn't have to be a new one. Did you ever consider that? Open your mind buddy.
Well, given that time apparently flows backwards in your neck of the woods, if you happen to come across a "second-hand" digital recorder from the year 2022 (with 128-bit resolution, a 1 gHz sample rate, & like all other professional audio/video systems of the time, using the NIST-F1 cesium fountain atomic clock at the National Institute of Standards & Technology as its master clock source), I might be interested! :D

I wouldn't argue that a Nord could replicate the sound, but I doubt it's actually a Nord. I've heard this sound before on several recordings prior to the Nord.

Note the sound's distinctive attack.

It's more blessed to give than it is to receive;

Except when it comes to free advice, I believe.

-Bruce Cockburn

Archived