Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil PC2X Question

sweibel

Calling all Kurzweil PC2X users,

I am a this close to buying a PC2X and just wanted to make sure that the unit has the Orchestral ROM. I'm pretty sure it does because hasn't the Orchestral ROM units been out for a few months? Is there any quick way I can verify if the unit has the O. ROM? Any button strokes?

Thanks for any help!

Stefan

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have you just tried asking the dealer where you were considering purchasing it? We've been shipping the PC2X with the Orchestral ROM for several months now...I believe we started back in March. Its possible you could still find one without, but to be sure just ask the dealer.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I don't know if you could go wrong with that machine. What beautiful sounds!! I was messing with one in Sam Ash in NYC the other day. I have a Yamaha P80, which has great piano sounds. But the PC2X piano sounds are just as good. Really shouldn't compare Yamaha and Kurzweil piano sounds, because to my ear they sound different. But they both sound so good. If I was to get another board, it would be the PC2X.

Mike, if I get the ME-1 module and hook it up to my P-80 will I get the same piano (acoustic and electric) sounds that the PC2X has? I just love the Kurzweil sounds. Not yet familiar with the orchestral sound card.

When I was shopping for my keyboard, it came down to the Kurzweil SP88x and the Yamaha P-80. Went for the P-80 because the salesperson in Sam Ash and Manny's Music told me that the Kurzweil boards are unreliabe and that Sam Ash would no longer be carrying them. They told me that Kurzweils break down often. So that sold me on the P-80. However I have friends who have had Kurzweil boards for years and never had a problem. I wish I didn't listen to the sales people. However, I have no regrets, the P-80 is a great board. I just gotta have that Kurzweil sound.

The ME-1 has the same samples as the PC2 but different (basic) effects. So I can't say that they'll sound identical (especially not the EP's). The ME-1 also won't take the Orchestral ROM.

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Originally posted by Mike Martin - Kurzweil:

The ME-1 has the same samples as the PC2 but different (basic) effects. So I can't say that they'll sound identical (especially not the EP's). The ME-1 also won't take the Orchestral ROM.

Mike, please excuse my ignorance. When you say different effects, what do you mean? And what difference does it make. Is it a noticeable difference, or a minor difference?

Thanks

The PC2 has an effects engine which is the same quality as our K2600 series and standalone KSP8 processor. There are distortions, phasers, ring modulators, leslie speakers and much much more. On the PC2 series each MIDI channel gets its own independent effects mix.

The ME-1 has effects similar to the SP series that will only deliver chorus and reverb. These effects are GLOBAL on all MIDI channels.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Originally posted by CP:

I don't know if you could go wrong with that machine. What beautiful sounds!! I was messing with one in Sam Ash in NYC the other day. I have a Yamaha P80, which has great piano sounds. But the PC2X piano sounds are just as good. Really shouldn't compare Yamaha and Kurzweil piano sounds, because to my ear they sound different. But they both sound so good. If I was to get another board, it would be the PC2X.

Mike, if I get the ME-1 module and hook it up to my P-80 will I get the same piano (acoustic and electric) sounds that the PC2X has? I just love the Kurzweil sounds. Not yet familiar with the orchestral sound card.

When I was shopping for my keyboard, it came down to the Kurzweil SP88x and the Yamaha P-80. Went for the P-80 because the salesperson in Sam Ash and Manny's Music told me that the Kurzweil boards are unreliabe and that Sam Ash would no longer be carrying them. They told me that Kurzweils break down often. So that sold me on the P-80. However I have friends who have had Kurzweil boards for years and never had a problem. I wish I didn't listen to the sales people. However, I have no regrets, the P-80 is a great board. I just gotta have that Kurzweil sound.

CP--I have been playing the ME-1 module for two months now. I midi out of an SP-76 that I have had for a year. Like your friends, I have never had a problem with the SP-76. I gig one to two times a month and take it to practice weekly. The piano sounds on the ME-1 are worth the price alone. When I first got the ME-1, I started playing a song which brought my wife in from the back poarch. She stopped and said "Oh, your playing that new thing. I thought you were playing the baby grand". IMHO, what sets the Kurzweil piano sounds apart from the others is the upper octaves. They are more true to the original and not over hyped. I am a fan of Yamaha piano sounds, especially their Rhodes sounds. (I have one of their synths now and have owned other pianos in the past). The ME-1's electric piano sounds are good. Some of the Rhodes sounds are not quite up to what I can get on my Yamaha but the ME-1's Whirly's are super. Of course this is all subjective, but I owned at one time all those old keyboards and have a pretty good idea what they should sound like (at least from what I can remember :) ). So if you gotta have that sound and don't want to spend alot of money, then get the ME-1.

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

Mike, I bought a B stock PC2X a little over a year ago. I love it. I didn't get full documentation I don't think. I recently bought another keyboard synth and received a full midi implementation manual with it. The PC2X didn't have one. Am I missing something and is there any to obtain this manual?

I see more information and documentation on the higher priced Kurzweil keyboards. Is the implementation on the PC2 the same as the K2600? Or similar?

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

ME: "Nobody knows the troubles I've seen!"

Unknown Voice: "The Shadow do!"

-Mike Martin

Casio

Thanks Mike. The only one I received was the PC2 Manual. Looks like I'll have plenty reading to do! :)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

ME: "Nobody knows the troubles I've seen!"

Unknown Voice: "The Shadow do!"

Mike and George,

I have a quick nostalgic question:

What is your take on the pc88MX. This is my main controller, and I always wondered if it would be beneficial to get a pc2r as opposed to a new controller? Also, how would you rate the sounds on the 88mx versus current sounds?

The PC2X is a much more dynamic and expressive. The ribbon Controller and Breath Controller are nice additions. The FX are from the renowned KDFX.

I prefer the PC2 a great deal over the PC88MX and the 64 note polyphony is applied to all sounds rather than a few selected sounds.

Still the PC88MX is the keyboard that created the whole

Performance Controller market.

Take Care,

George Hamilton

Yamaha US

Going back to Mike Martin's first response, you're right, I am going to ask the salesman but there must be some way from the front panel to verify if the Orchestral board is there. There must be some additional sound programs that show up when the Orch. ROM is present. In the past, I've had salesman give me inaccurate information. From reading a little from the PC2 pdf instruction manual, I can at least check the OS version of the unit in the store in the Global menu.

The easiest way on the keyboard model, is to simply press the EXP1 button. If you see presets, then the ROM expansion is there.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Okay I got it... Finally!!! I don't have to look for another 88-key controller. A new PC2XO version 3.1 is sitting on my keyboard stand. Superb sounds and having owned a PC88mx, really easy to navigate, great playability. After having considered a Yamaha Motif8 or a S90, I just couldn't resist the PC2X both in price, sound and simplicity.

Any news when that new contemporary ROM will be available?

Do the Breat and Ribbon Controllers come with the PC2X by default or is that an upgrade option? Just curious. What about the PC2? Friend of mine is in the market for a performance controller (although I suspect he'll get a K2600 instead).

prog

Yamaha is the only company which makes breath controllers, they're not included. The ribbon controller is also optional, $60.00 retail.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Archived