Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

sick players

daBowsa

well i had a great week of watching some awesome keyboard players! its quite inspiring to see that so many people going to shows of real music that gets no radio or (m)tv play.

the first was Gov't Mule - the keyboard player had a rhodes, B3/leslie and clav. He had his clav totally dialed in to where, when he was trading licks with Warren, it sounded like two ripping guitar players going back and forth. i couldn't see what distortion pedal he was using, but it sounded sweet! he also pulled out a "Jerimiah Was A Bullfrog" sounding interlude solo on the rhodes that was funky as all heck - nice!

my second show of the week was Galactic out of New Orleans. the keyboard player had a wurlitzer (it was tan, so i'm assuming it was a wurly), clav, moog and an organ/leslie of some kind - i want to say M100. he had a POD sitting on top of the clav, but I couldn't see what kind. these guys were sick-tight - unreal musicians. they had this one jam that peaked so hard that i have to rank it my top 5 musical moments of all time! i can't recommend this show highly enough to any music/jazz/funkish lover!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a bad cold, too, and the crummy weather this weekend didn't help. I've completely lost my voice, so this would be a good time for steadyb to call me up and tell me how great his 3-7 Lakers are. I can't even argue with delusional people this week. :D

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Originally posted by Dan South:

I can't even argue with delusional people this week. :D

Now if only your fingers were broken so you couldn't type your evil Laker thoughts! :D

This cold sucks, but I've never had a fun cold, so I guess it's just par for the course. Should be gone in a few more days. You should have heard me croaking my backing vox on Saturday night...not pretty!

- Jeff

quote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Krakit:

I don't eat 24 hours before a show. Haven't puked yet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd fucking faint onstage if I didn't eat well the day of a gig.

Blood sugar...

- Jeff

I once did a gig after being awake for 40 (fourty!) hours because of a horrible bus trip to the gig in Munich, Germany. Luckily we had lots of food, coffee and beer there, definitely no coke or amphetamines and the gig was a blast! Crashed immediately after it...

I thought Brad Mehldau was doing some pretty sick things back in '94, '95 together with Joshua Redman.

Soulstars

http://www.bobwijnen.nl

Hipness is not a state of mind, it's a fact of life.

Archived