Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FORUM CD: Rate "Meteor"

Dave Bryce

As many of you know, we are currently in the process of doing another CD compilation of original material submitted by members of this forum.

As with the last original compilation, the entries will be posted for review by all of the members of the forum whether or not they have contributed a piece. With that in mind, please check out "Meteor" (submitted by BassGuy21), and tell us what you think!

If the artist of the piece would care to post any notes about the piece in this thread, they should feel free to do so.

Thanks for listening!

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by rickkreuzer:

...You'd hear this in a sci-fi movie track...

Funny you should say that! Whatever seed it was that sprouted this song planted itself in my head while watching Communion! Odd.... anyway.

The only thing I used to make this was Fruity Loops. For the two main parts, I just used a 3x oscillator. The rest were just nameless drum samples and a very tweaked orchestra sample.

"Bass isn't just for breakfast anymore..."

http://www.mp3.com/Addix_Metzatricity

Good job! I am really liking softsynth drums now a days. I'm a very recent convert but have been ditching my drum machines in leui of my pluggo drums quite a bit lately.

My only suggestion would be to vary the soundscape a little since your palatte in the soft world is virtually endless. I could hear a killer bridge or break in this tune and it'd be damn near perfect . You know, all sci-fi weird-wonderfulness style to gel with the rest of the tune of course. ;)

Originally posted by nel/astor:

My only suggestion would be to vary the soundscape a little since your palatte in the soft world is virtually endless. I could hear a killer bridge or break in this tune and it'd be damn near perfect . You know, all sci-fi weird-wonderfulness style to gel with the rest of the tune of course. ;)

This was one of my first semi-complete songs since I began my foray into the world of synths (I've always been just a bassist). But I will definitely take your advice to heart and see what else pops out of my head.

I don't know if you've ever used Fruity Loops, but after playing around with the Reason demo, it feels like my hands are tied.

• 2 weeks later...

It's VERY fat and warm - I'm surprised to hear this kind of warmth coming from a piece of software. I'll have to check out the Fruity stuff.

How did you record it? Direct to CD on the same machine? Through a sound card/interface?

I, too, would have liked to have heard some breaks or fills in the drum part, but it had a march-like quality that works well. Great job for such an early endeavor!

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Well, thank you.

Fruity Loops allows you to save your song in MP3 and WAV formats, and then you just burn it.

However, if you feel you're on a level higher than beginner/intermediate then I don't think Fruity Loops is for you. It's great because the interface is so easy and there's practically no learning curve, but I've gotten to a point where now that I have a grasp of what I'm doing, this program just doesn't allow me to get the more complex things out of my head.

Reason 2.0 however, in just playing with the demo, opened up all sorts of new doors (but it costs $300 more).

Anyway.... Thanks.

Archived