Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FORUM CD: Rate "Tuba Four"

Dave Bryce

As many of you know, we are currently in the process of doing another CD compilation of original material submitted by members of this forum.

As with the last original compilation, the entries will be posted for review by all of the members of the forum whether or not they have contributed a piece. With that in mind, please check out "Tuba Four" (submitted by Music*al), and tell us what you think!

If the artist of the piece would care to post any notes about the piece in this thread, they should feel free to do so.

Thanks for listening!

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Music*al.......In the pocket my man, real funky with the harmonics on the keys and bass parts. I love the B-3 organ sound. what is the keyboard that you are using for that sound?

I liked it alot my friend. S M O O T H!!

Jazzman :cool:

Everyone knows that all the submissions are at least of good quality, and you never know if someone is being overly generous with their praise, but this is an excellent track! With all the talent I've heard so far, I must say this is going to be one heck of a CD. May I please be on the list? I have a Shilling or two. ;)
This keyboard solo has obviously been tampered with!

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your feedback.

To answer some of your questions, I used the Roland XP50 Bass & Drums expansion board for the bass sound. It's a very good expansion board especially for the bass sounds. The drum patches are OK, but they certainly don't touch the Alesis DMpro that I used for the drums on the track.

I used another Roland expansion board (keys of 70's and 80's) for the organ sound: It's a patch called "Hush B3" presumably named after the Deep Purple tune called Hush which features some killer playing on a B3 to start the tune. I don't remember if it was Jon Lord playing or not, but it's a really early Deep Purple tune. Anyway, that sound is layered with a patch from my Alesis QSR's Vintage Synths Q card called Compin' man. The layering of these two patches gives the organ sound the bite it otherise lacks. Kind of a "clean distortion" effect.

The piano is played on the Yamaha S80, using the bright piano patch I-03. It's one of my favorite patches to record Piano with since it really cuts through the mix. I wouldn't use it on a solo piano piece however.

The piano also tracks the bass lines all the way through the tune except in the breakdowns.

There is a relatively faint string patch doubling the piano, which is played on the xp-50 "Warmth" patch (c-59).

I sequenced the drums and played them through the Alesis Dm Pro.

I recorded the piece on a mac G4 running Digital Performer 3.02 (now 3.11) with the usual assortment of plugs, but most notably PSP Vintage Warmer, an excellent VST and MAS plug.

That's about all I can think of right about now. :wave:

Albert

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

Archived