Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond XB2 for sell on EBAY

Jdub2k1

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I don't know what to say about that pic :eek:

Yes, I am the seller, I just posted it in case anyone was interested...there are still some XB2's on the ebay market...I think I saw one around $550 with less than a day to go.

I think it is worth it if you have a decent leslie/sim. I have the motion sound pro 3t which does wonders to an XB2. I also got a chance to run the XB2 thru a leslie 122 and 147 combo...KILLER! I would've got either 122/147 and used my XB2 if I could afford it. The XK2 is great also when run thru a leslie/sim. So again it would be worth it if you had the leslie part covered already. As for me, I'm "upgrading" to the Voce V5 with the studiologic sl-161 controller.

The XB-2 is a classic organ. It has been around for over 10 years and can still hold its own, soundwise. The keyboard action and user interface leave a lot to be desired (not to mention the Leslie sim is awful), but this clone can do a lot of good stuff. In fact, the overall tone of the XB-2 is not far from the XK-2. The main improvements in the XK-2 were the chorus and percussion plus the killer waterfall keyboard. The XB-2 had a pretty crappy synth keyboard but it worked. Otherwise, the two instruments sound almost the same.

That said, $800 is quite steep for an XB2 on the used market. It's either a supply and demand thing or perhaps an eBay bidding war (hopefully not shill bidding). Perhaps there are people out there that don't know their value (about $500-600 used in my book). One can purchase a brand new VK-7, where still available, in the $900-1k range. Spending nearly that much on an old XB2 seems a bit excessive. But it is a great and timeless instrument, sure to go down in history like the original Korg CX-3, which is still in use by a lot of players and sounds decent through a real rotary speaker.

To anyone considering an XB-2, remember that you MUST have an external Leslie simulator (Motion Sound or similar) or real Leslie to make it sound realistic. The internal Leslie is marginal at best.

It's amazing what eBay has done for the resale value of old gear. Many times I have sold things for much more than I would have believed they were worth. To the seller of this XB-2, you hit on a good time and some luck that anyone would bid it up that high. The usual (even eBay) bids had been topping out in the $550-600 range at max.

Regards,

Eric

Posted by eric

Perhaps there are people out there that don't know their (XK2) value (about $500-600 used in my book). One can purchase a brand new VK-7, where still available, in the $900-1k range.

Thanks for the warning. I've let my 30 year Hammond-lust cloud my reason.

Now that I'm single and actually have a few dollars left out my paycheck, I'm thinking about doing something about it. I've bought both the Blue Chip Babyb (waste of $ and space) and NI B4 (worth the $ but is occassionally cranky software). I'm ready to stop fooling around and get the real thing or at least a reasonable facsimile.

What would you say is a good price for a used VK-7?

What would you say is a good price for a used VK-7?
A good used price could be in the $600-700 range. A couple of the major catalog stores were blowing them out (new) for $1199 and then $999 once the VK-8 replaced it and they were trying to get rid of the VK-7s they still had.

As an all-in-one solution, the VK-7 is pretty smokin' and it will eat the XK-2 for lunch. It has a great Leslie simulator. It seems they are selling in the same price range used, but the VK-7 is leaps and bounds ahead of the XB-2. I would even say that the VK-7 sounds better than and XK-2 (XK-2 is a good clone, but the Leslie sim is inadequate).

Regards,

Eric

Yes, I got a little lucky with my sell. I saw two XB2's that sold for $850 the week before I psted mine so I jumped on while the demand was that high. But the XB2 is a classic ad classic boards can do well on ebay...I saw a few DX7's selling for about $500 and a few ESQ-1's for about $450, so I guess that many people buy these boards to relive the good 'ol days or for collectors items. I still have my ESQ1 and it still works well...If I had the money, I would get a DX7 too and maybe the old CX3.

JimmieWannaB

If I were you and already had a decent midi controller, I would get the the voce v5 which sounds better than them all in my book (even the new korg cx3). You can get one used for $400-$600 and a new one for about $700...through in the voce spin 2 or hughes and ketnor rotosphere or any decent leslie sim and you're all set.

Originally posted by Jdub2k1:

JimmieWannaB

If I were you and already had a decent midi controller, I would get the the voce v5 which sounds better than them all in my book (even the new korg cx3). You can get one used for $400-$600 and a new one for about $700...through in the voce spin 2 or hughes and ketnor rotosphere or any decent leslie sim and you're all set.

Last I checked, my sales guy does them NEW for about $600 + shipping (no tax for mail order for me). Private mail me if you want his name/contact information.

Originally posted by Jdub2k1:

JimmieWannaB

-------------------------------------------------

Last I checked, my sales guy does them NEW for about $600 + shipping (no tax for mail order for me). Private mail me if you want his name/contact information.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've seen good reviews of the Voce but, while I'm sure it's great, after using midi control for both the Babyb and NI B4, I've decided I want a keyboard solution. Also, I don't play professionally so the V5 along with a Leslie solution would be more than I'm ready to spend for noodling at home.

I've been kicking around getting a second Keyboard to go with my QS6.1 and would like it to be decent B3 clone. I'm leaning towards seeking out a used VK-7.

J.WannaB, for a keyboard solution I also would reconsider a used CX3 if you can find one. Too bad that the VK8 is still too new to be second hand on eBay. It has an incredibly cool waterfall keyboard and less BS sounds than the VK7. Heard some XK2 mp3's and wasn't impressed with them, although I know it's better to hear it live.

http://www.bobwijnen.nl

Hipness is not a state of mind, it's a fact of life.

Archived