Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

best soundmodule

era music

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by smooveface:

If on a budget try the Roland JV1010. If money is no object, I'd go the the newer Roland XVseries stuff.

Digiman

The XV2020 is not expensive (roughly the same as the Kurzweil Micropiano) and has the same sounds as the more expensive (and flexible) XVs. Those to units are worth a listen.

Consider the new kurzweil ME-1 micro ensemble.Only 32voices but it's said to have the same sounds as the PC2 minus the B3 organ simulator.I've played the PC2 keyboard.It doesn't have thousands of sounds like the other guys, but the sounds it has, including pianos and strings are first class. Half rack, about $400.

As much as I love Roland's sounds, if you're just looking for some high quality pianos and strings, I'm seconding the ME-1 (vs. the XV2020 at 600 clams). The sounds (from the PC2R, like he said) are just...great. I really love how they sound. But, of course, it's all what sounds good to your ears (and mind).

Peace

If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

As much as I love Roland, and I think you almost have to have a Roland of some kind (I sure the heck do), the Triton Rack is a monster, with room for plenty of those outstanding expansion roms and that MOSS physical/VA synth board. And the effects are great too. Put the Vintage, Techno, Future Loop, Studio, Concert Grand piano and Orchestral cards in it with a MOSS and it's an 800 ton gorilla. Everyone will respect you. :D
This keyboard solo has obviously been tampered with!

I can't tell you which one has the best string/piano, but I will tell you that there are a lot of choices to pick from - making it harder.

A few people mentioned Roland, which has a lot of sound boards and modules to pick from. Korg has a good selection in the Triton and Karma and add-in cards. E-MU has a couple of good cards (modules are typically the same) - I have a Proteus 2000. Yamaha has the Motif, which is sure to have some good sounds. You have Kurzweil and the other more eclectic synths that may also have good sounds to take a listen to.

I would say that if you have the money, buy a Roland XV3080 and fill it with extras, a Triton rack with Extras, and a Proteus 2500 with extras. Should be able to cover 95% of all sounds with those three - then get a Supernova or Virus to cover the other 5%.

Live 6, Battery 3, Project 5, Atmosphere, Albino 2, Minimoog V, Oddity, Nord 2X, Proteus 2K

***I can't play for sh*t, but I can sequence like a muthaf*ck*r***

Archived