Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FORUM CD: Rate "The Other Side of the Knot"

Dave Bryce

As many of you know, we are currently in the process of doing another CD compilation of original material submitted by members of this forum.

As with the last original compilation, the entries will be posted for review by all of the members of the forum whether or not they have contributed a piece. With that in mind, please check out "The Other Side of the Knot" (submitted by nelz), and tell us what you think!

If the artist of the piece would care to post any notes about the piece in this thread, they should feel free to do so.

Thanks for listening!

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...Now this one sounds identical to the aiff version...I'll never understand mp3 compression. This was all pre-produced with midi plug-ins. All done with my trinity v3, sequenced in DP 2.7.2 with pluggo 3.0 and mastered in Waves.

The drums were hand drawn in the dp drum editor and the lead sound is actually 3 inverted bass patches.

People either love this song or say WTF? It's one of my favorites I've ever done, and again, it's kind of weird and what I'd consider abstract electronic or IDM. No samples, loop cd's or anything along those lines. I hope you enjoy this one!

It's not the most ambitious track in the world, but... well, this is the fourth time I've listened to it, and I have to quit so I can go to bed, and that translates into two thumbs up. :thu::thu::D

And I remember praising Llarion's and... oh poop, can't remember the other guy, but those were choice cuts too. :thu::thu:

This keyboard solo has obviously been tampered with!

Wow you guys are being so kind! KC - please run away with me ;):D:D

Actually "imaginiative" and serendipity are equally responsible for the unusual sound...sometimes you just tweak a plug-in in a certain way and it's more magic than skill.

I emailed dB some better (I hope) mp3 conversions of both tunes so maybe if you check back in a couple of weeks or so, you can download an even better mix. ~nel

Nel, I dig it. Nice spare vibe. The most intriguing musical element, for me, is the drum programming, which I really like. Good snare stuff. You "drew" parts, and then used velocity editing to switch snare samples or are there actuall two or more snare sounds being used?

I've never used a graphic drum editor, preferring to play three finger traps from the keyboard (with many overdubs) so I'm interested in how it works.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

The most intriguing musical element, for me, is the drum programming, which I really like. Good snare stuff. You "drew" parts, and then used velocity editing to switch snare samples or are there actuall two or more snare sounds being used?

Thanks, Magpel! If I recall, I used three different kits, which all may have slightly varied snare hits. I'll start my songs in the trinity sequencer, so the drums do start off with key taps done in pattern mode. Then I'll transfer the sequence to the DP track window, highlight the drum pats. and launch the dp drum editor. So long as your midi device is recognized in freemidi, every minute detail is present (velocity, kit, patch, etc...)When the grid is launched, I like to use the pencil (or paintbrush) to alter certain stabs, velocities, patches - you can even change kits entirely. So the orignial 4 on the floor pattern is still there, but I'll tweak it to a level that my fingers can't play on their own. The "rim shot" click, crash track that gels the drums together, was drawn from scratch. Just a couple of bars, cut and paste all the way. If you use DP, really dive into the drum editor, it's a neat window!

Originally posted by IanD:

Dave

Am I to later to submit a track?

Not at all, Ian - the deadline is at the end of September...

I'll download your mp3 and put it up on the site, but you should also tell me what genre you want it listed under, and any other credits/notes that you want posted along with it. You'll also need to mail me a disc or DAT with a 16 bit 44.1k copy for the final CD.

BTW - congrats on your new family members! :thu:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

AAA@UGH!!!

Okay, I posted pretty late at night. I edited mine from "imaginative" to "ambitious." I agree with KCbass and Magpel, that is a clever use of very few elements. It's seriously catchy, and I really had better wait to listen again tonight because I need to shower and get back to music. :D

This keyboard solo has obviously been tampered with!

Synthguy:

...Yes very minimal, only 8 tracks, but more time consuming to create than lots of my other stuff. Most of my music is more straightforward ambient instrumental. This song is influenced by the Richard James approach (although I am no way near as clever) of a strange hook, repeating and mutating.

I thought your tune was really neat. I've used the Drum Editor in DP a lot & like you say it's kind of like writing the drum part. I've used it to write a 16th note high hat part just by dragging the pencil tool & to vary the hits adjust the velocity after the fact. I liked the sparsness of your track. I often think my stuff has too much in it & it turns into a roar of sound. Great job!!!!!!

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

• 2 months later...

Archived