Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FORUM CD: Rate "Can't You See I'm Falling In Love"

Dave Bryce

As many of you know, we are currently in the process of doing another CD compilation of original material submitted by members of this forum.

As with the last original compilation, the entries will be posted for review by all of the members of the forum whether or not they have contributed a piece. With that in mind, please check out "Can\'t You See I\'m Falling In Love" (submitted by Steve "B_3guy" Jordan, and tell us what you think!

If the artist of the piece would care to post any notes about the piece in this thread, they should feel free to do so.

Thanks for listening!

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi praise from the Rhodes God, MP Hall of Fame Member & an all round nice guy. It is a good song. Here's another one of his we did

http://www.geocities.com/b_3guy2/callme.mp3

It's a winner as well. After fooling around a bit, I'm finally getting the sound I want from the B. Thanks for the listen & I can't wait to hear yours!

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

Oh, but I am SO jealous of that B3 sound... Arrgh, but it's gorgeous...

Lovely song, nicely put together! Kind of a Pre-MM Doobie Brothers or mid 70s Eagles vocal feel... Nice, tasty, rippin' guitar solo...

If I were to offer any constructive comments, it would be about the cymbal rolls... On my monitors, they sound a teensy bit strident and up in the mix... I'm sure they are very tough to control on a synth...

Hey, if you'd like, I could record you some real swelling rolls in various lengths like the ones you have if you're interested; I have some great, dark, dynamic cymbals and mallets to do that... :)

Lemme know!

Well done piece! Cheerios!

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

Hi

I must agree with everybody. Steve makes honor to his nick name. The B3 sound is wonderful.

The tune itself is very nice.

I can remember easily the chorus, which is good for any song.

I feel the drums should have been quantized a little bit to make the base more solid.

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Originally posted by Llarion:

If I were to offer any constructive comments, it would be about the cymbal rolls... On my monitors, they sound a teensy bit strident and up in the mix... I'm sure they are very tough to control on a synth...

Hey, if you'd like, I could record you some real swelling rolls in various lengths like the ones you have if you're interested; I have some great, dark, dynamic cymbals and mallets to do that... :)

Lemme know!

Well done piece! Cheerios!

Sharp ears, Phil. This also didn't show up on my home stereo, Paul's car stereo or a friend's studio monitors, but did show up at another studio's monitors. The crescendos weren't really that hard to make, but after recording them I should have EQ'd them a bit & taken out some of the mids & lows (if there are any lows) to give them more SSSHHHH, & get rid of the actual cymbal hits. That would make them more like a mallet driven crescendo. Before I used the cymbal hits I checked to see if the Alesis DM-5 had mallet hits, but I couldn't find any. Gee Phil, I'd love to have some more realistic cymbal swells. ThanksHere's my email address

seagulljordan@hfx.eastlink.ca

I can receive up to 10 megs at that address.

On another note, it does have that Eagles sound. Not that we were trying to achieve that sound. Just accidental. Thanks for given it a listen!

Steve

No problem at all. :) Do you have any specific lengths you want? If not, I'll just do soem short, medium, and long rolls of varying swell intensity and let you parse them up as needed.

The song I did for the first compilation, The Light Of Valhalla, makes liberal use of them; take a listen so you know what to expect; and if you want them any different than what you hear, let me know.

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

Various lengths would do. Couldn't I adjust the lengths a little bit in Peak or Digital Performer without changing pitch, etc? Thanks again.

Steve

Nice song, reminds me a bit of Meatloaf in a good way. I agree with the cymbal rolls being a bit harsh, maybe you can rent just a crash cymbal from a place that rents drum sets? I also thought the timing was a bit loose in the intro section, not sure if it was the guitar or shaker. Otherwise, very cool production and recording. Thanks. -jl

Originally posted by GusTraX:

Hi

I must agree with everybody. Steve makes honor to his nick name. The B3 sound is wonderful.

The tune itself is very nice.

I can remember easily the chorus, which is good for any song.

I feel the drums should have been quantized a little bit to make the base more solid.

Hey Gus, thanks for the compliments. The tune was kind of rushed at the final mix stage as I said earlier. We got all the tracking done & I wanted to post it. Also the tune in this form is too long for the compilation so it will probably have to have a fade put in at some point. I do agree there is a looseness between the kick & bass. Thanks for giving it a listen!!

Steve

Originally posted by rickkreuzer:

Nice B3!! I'd like to hear more of it. It's way delicious!!

Rick

Thanks Rick.

Originally posted by synthetic:

Nice song, reminds me a bit of Meatloaf in a good way. I agree with the cymbal rolls being a bit harsh, maybe you can rent just a crash cymbal from a place that rents drum sets? I also thought the timing was a bit loose in the intro section, not sure if it was the guitar or shaker. Otherwise, very cool production and recording. Thanks. -jl

I actually thought I would get a friend to come in with his cymbals/mallets & get him to do some crescendos/decrescendos. Record him with 2 overheads.

Originally posted by PAULIII:

NICE SONG! Thumbs UP! :thu:

PAULIII

Thanks Paul.

Steve

• 2 months later...

Archived