Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alesis Ion Keyboard

bleen

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by SimmonsSDX:

Are David Bryce also the main mind behind the ION as he was on Andromeda.

While it is true that I am one of Andy's daddies and the person who named her, I was not the "main mind" behind Andromeda. There wasn't one, really. Andy's parents include Mike Peake, Erik Norlander, Rob Rampley, Julie Yarbrough, Axel Hartmann, and a few others...our own Pim Schilperoort probably wrote the most programs for Andy.

If one person had to be singled out as Andy's main daddy, it'd probably have to be Mr. Peake.

I had nothing to do with the Ion. As far as I know, neither did any of the folks that I have listed above.

As I understand it, the Ion is basically eight Air Synths (I'm sure that Ben will correct me if I am mistaken), so if you want to hear what it will sound like you can do so at any store that has Air Synths.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

I now that Mike peake don't work for Alesis any more I talk to him alot about Andromeda that I wont after I have sold my Waldorf Q.

And ION look nice to two Alesis on one stand NICE.

I think I buy both in first of next year.

Morten

Access Virus TI keyboard,Alesis ION,Yamaha Motif ES 6,Roland Fantom XR.

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

As I understand it, the Ion is basically eight Air Synths (I'm sure that Ben will correct me if I am mistaken), so if you want to hear what it will sound like you can do so at any store that has Air Synths.

dB

AAAGH!!! This is the second time I've heard this. How did this rumor get started? :freak:

The Ion engine is NOT based upon the AirSynth. They use the same basic family of DSP chips, and some of the same people are involved, but that's about it.

My main concern is that the AirSynth was never intended to sound like a real analog synthesizer. Many of the AirSyths filters and oscillators are actually DSP models of their analog counterparts, but this was simply because they sound good. We were more concerned with making new, interesting and expressive sounds than with analog emulation. The result is that many of the programs make intentional use of FM induced aliasing, harsh digital clipping, decimation and other digital artifacts.

The Ion on the other hand, is a next-generation analog-modeling synth. It has a brand new engine, based on several years of research. It sounds more like a real analog synthesizer than anything built to date. Details include oscillators and filters do not alias and mixers which can soft-clip without aliasing. Also, each of the 24 oscillators and 16 filters has a subtly different sound, so that stacking voices yields a richer, fatter sound. (I'll note that this is based not on a random pitch fluctuation, or fixed detune, but on a unique algorthim modelled after real analog oscillator behavior.)

If you like the way the AirSynth sounds, then great. The Ion sound engine can do all of that and more. The Ion is a much more powerful and advanced instrument.

Ben, Alesis Guy

I also thought Airsynth was more like a DJ tool.

ION is going to be som of machine look forward to get that and Andromeda.

Thanks Ben for the info I head that the site will be update soon with info on ION.

Morten

Access Virus TI keyboard,Alesis ION,Yamaha Motif ES 6,Roland Fantom XR.

Originally posted by Anoplura:

AAAGH!!! This is the second time I've heard this. How did this rumor get started? :freak:

The Ion engine is NOT based upon the AirSynth. They use the same basic family of DSP chips, and some of the same people are involved, but that's about it.

I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Okay, now I'm REALLY intrigued by this instrument. I've noticed that even in the VA world, those instruments sound juuust different from each other after a close listen. Not a big diff, but things like the sound of the oscillators and filters, the digital effects, probly every line of code contributes, just as if they were discrete analog. I settled on a venerable JP-8000 because of that feedback oscillator, and then discovered after programming it that the 12db filters had a juicy rasp that others didn't.

So now Alesis is attempting to completely recreate the sound of analog circuitry - well, to the best of their ability?? If you can get some of that analog fuzz in there with the clean sounds... okay, I'm double sold on this thing now! Gotta get a Nord Modular sometime too, but IONize me! :D

This keyboard solo has obviously been tampered with!

Thank you for the props Dave, but never let your genuine granddaddy status with the Andromeda flag.. It might not have come into production and survived or have been known far and wide without you. And I'll add again: Andromeda is a great name for the machine!
Give me the ANALOG and no one gets HURT

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived