Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Electric Piano carrying case

I am looking for a vendor that sells generic carrying bags for keyboards. I have an Ensoniq Electric Grand that is old enough as it is, and now that I need to carry it around, I am worried that I'll do it in for good. I don't want to lay out the cash for a hard case (i.e., SBK, Anvil) but would like to find a soft case or bag to haul it in.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

BD

"With the help of God and true friends I've come to realize, I still have two strong legs and even wings to fly" Gregg Allman from "Ain't Wastin Time No More"

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hauled my CS6x around in a gigbag... NEVER AGAIN! After a month all my cables were falling through one of the pockets! I don't know if that's what you mean by softcase.

Ensoniq electric grand? Does it have the shape of a grand piano??? For gigs? :confused:

I going for flightcases on wheels now, that's one thing for sure.

http://www.bobwijnen.nl

Hipness is not a state of mind, it's a fact of life.

The keyboard is your basic 88 key typical keyboard. Long and rectangular---no grand piano shape.

Does anyone make a gigbag or carrying case for the typical 88 key keyboard? (Meaning not brand-specific.)

BD

"With the help of God and true friends I've come to realize, I still have two strong legs and even wings to fly" Gregg Allman from "Ain't Wastin Time No More"

You might try hybridcases.com in new york.

1(800)645-1707 Bruce

Just ordered their lightests hard case for my RD-250 Roland piano with weighted keys (64lbs) 76 keys for $233 plus $18 shipping.

I used a bag for years that was so ragged that last gig I decided it was an embarrasment and had to go. The zippers on bags seem to alway go first so I bought two straps years ago to hold the bag shut. That worked ok but recently the cardboard inner liner was coming out again which looked really bad. Over the 14 years that I had this bag, I stitched it, glued it, and was almost always the only one handling it. I definately got my money's worth. Probably would have went for a bag again (less weight) but didn't want zippers and later decided to put wheels on the new case for $50 dollars extra. Total bill = $301.

More than I initially wanted to spend but couldn't find a ready made case that fit my keyboard's diminsions.

Lincoln

Check with the mail order places (Musicians Friend, American Musical Supply, 8th Street Music, etc.) A popular bag is made by Rolsak. Their 88 key bags go for around $50. I had one once and they seemed well made. If you want to stick with using a soft gig bag, it would be best to have one custom made for your keyboard. Doing it that way would give your keyboard better protection than a one size fits all type. I use custom fit bags for my equipment made by Modern case. (moderncase.com) For just a little more money than the genaric bags, you can have a lot better protection. If you plan on doing a lot of gigs, the hard shell case is still the best way to go. What type of Ensoniq keyboard do you have? (just wondering) I played a KS-32 (76 note weighted action) for a number of years. One thing about Ensoniq, their stuff was built like a tank (and weighted as much too!)

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

I pulled out the original book that came with the piano. I was mistaken---its a 76 key model SDP-1 if I remember correctly. It has some good acoustic piano sounds, especially the detuned honkey-tonk sound, two electric pianos, marimba and xylophone and two harpsichord/clavinet sounds. I bought it about 15 years ago. Played it steady for about 4 years. Kept it either set-up and not played or in the closet for about 10 years. Just dusted it off and have been playing it steady for the past year. Only problem I have had is the sustenato pedal is near-fried-(the sustain pedal does not come all the way up anymore) and I broke the weight of a key when moving to my current house. Outside of that it sounds just as good as the day I bought it. (I'm now using it as a midi controller as I am the second keys player in a Praise band). And outside of the things cited above and some old-age wear, it still looks good too. You are right about the "tank" part--

I will check out the various vendors suggested.

Many thanks!

BD

Archived