Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Plz help me choose a stage monitor?

skier4467

Hi. I am in a 4-piece rock band and need a stage monitor vocals for under $200. Which of these do you recommend: Nady PFW12, Fender 1270, Community MVP28, Fender 1272xp, Yamaha S12ME, Behringer Eurolive F1220? Please don't just pick the most expensive one as a copout. Thanks.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by skier4467:

Hi. I am in a 4-piece rock band and need a stage monitor vocals for under $200. Which of these do you recommend: Nady PFW12, Fender 1270, Community MVP28, Fender 1272xp, Yamaha S12ME, Behringer Eurolive F1220? Please don't just pick the most expensive one as a copout. Thanks.

I cannot give a definitive answer as I have not tried them all. I do like the Yamaha's. They are light, they sound good, they are not hugely expensive, and they are light :-)

Musician's fiend's catalog has a while bunch of stage monitors listed. They send me this cos I bought something from them once (but, hey, I am a music store catalog junky).

Yamaha SM12ME 12" $199 35lbs

SM12E $189 32lbs (probably the one I have heard - surprised its that heavy)

JBL SF12M 12" $279 ?? I think heavier if its the unit I think it is

EAW SM122e 12" $799 54lbs You can get an SRM450 (self-powered 51lbs and very nice) for $100 less than this

Nady PFW12 $99 35lbs Anybody listened to these please report

Rogue RM12811 12" $89 ?? Ditto. Better looking than the NADYs but less power handling.

The SRM450 from Mackie is a very nice speaker but $699 street. There is an unpowered version which is not much lighter (around 45lbs) for probably $399.

Power handling numbers should be taken with two grains of salt. For one, not all power measurements are equal - 100W RMS could be anything up to 400 bogo-watts. Second, what you are really interested in is sound pressure. A 400W power speaker that is 6db down in sensitivity on a 100W speaker just needs a much bigger amp to produce the same sound level. I don't see any sensitivity numbers.

I don't have a recommendation in your budget, but...

My personal recommendation is to get a smaller monitor, and put it up on a stand (or road case) facing you over your keyboards. I generally use a restaurant "tray" stand, nestle it around my rig so that it's not on the audience side, but is almost within reaching distance, and has a clear line of site to me and is aimed at the back of my mic. I have a "cheap" Peavey powered monitor ($200 used) that blows my head off, not because of it's power or quality, but because of where it's placed.

Keyboardists who put their monitors on the floor suffer from one of two fatal flaws:

1. The monitors are at an angle that they feed back easily (guitarists usually have their monitors facing the back of their microphones).

2. Some (much) of the monitors sound gets blocked by the keyboards themselves.

Anyway, it's late and I'm getting philosophical...

Originally posted by skier4467:

Hi. I am in a 4-piece rock band and need a stage monitor vocals for under $200. .....

Please don't just pick the most expensive one as a copout. Thanks.

And I'd ask that you not place so many constraints so there is no definitive answer.

"Best" should be determined by quality/features, then "value" is arrived at by considering price.

Placing price first usually rules out "best" and often winds up costing MUCH more as you replace your original purchase with something that will actually do the job.

No, I'm not a salesperson. Just someone who's bought a truckload of gear over the last 35 years.

Vocals (and piano) are particularly demanding on the mid and upper ranges of your speaker. Many of the cheaper monitors emphasize the lower mid ranges - not appealing for vocals.

I agree with PatAzz that getting a good stage monitor for for a keyboardist who is singing is really tough for exactly the reason he mentioned - placement. You simply cannot get high volumes out of a floor monitor positioned for a keyboardist to hear it without tons of EQ that ruins the sound or lots of feedback. Again, like Pat says this is because the monitor has to be next to you instead of in front of you where it should be, since in front of you the sound is blocked by the keyboard.

I have seen the small monitors that sit on top of mic stands - I would recommend this strongly as it allows you to position it like Pat says. Or possibly in ear monitors, but I would stay away from floor monitors - 10 years of sound experience says they'll be nothing but misery.

-Casey

Archived