Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do you read music?

Sheet music is the written language that musicians use to communicate with eachother. Other "easier" written forms, like tablature, don't express all the same ideas as staff, such as key or time signature. Few workaday musicians need excellent sight-reading skills, not that it hurts. What is needed, though, is elementry music theory. This cannot be taught without the ability to read staff. I do read music, and am glad that I do- it helps me on a daily basis.
...think funky thoughts... :freak:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Christopher Kemp: [b]I like to equate music reading with language skills. It is certainly to one's benefit to be able to read; however, playing music is like talking. You do not have to be able to read to talk, and being able to read doesn't automatically mean that you have something to say.[/b][/quote]Yeah, I can read but I can't play worth squat :D

[quote]Originally posted by Stephen LeBlanc: [b] FWIW...I've started writing to paper again in the last month...eliminating the ears altogether and just writing what plays in my mind. [/b][/quote]That's cool. :thu: I do think it's a different [i]you[/i] that comes out. Kinda like writing a speech with a tape recorder is different than writing it with a word processor. It's still your thought but it takes a different shape somehow. Cheers, Jerry

Archived