Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg Triton Rack Expandable MIDI Sound Module+

Imagine

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Imagine, if the purpose of buying a new keyboard module is to attract clients, then the Triton is a good choice because it is very popular; and a lot of people already know how to use it.

OTOH, if the purpose of buying a Triton is to expand what your current arsenal can do, then it is, in many ways, a redundant piece of gear. Your Motif 8 already has much of that ground covered, as do several of your other modules.

Contrasting the Triton and the KARMA, I believe that they share much of the same soundset; but I don't believe that the KARMA has sampling. OTOH, nothing else does what the KARMA does. The question is, do you need what the KARMA does? If you don't spend the time to really dig into the KARMA, the result will be much the same as buying a keyboard with a lot of arpeggiated patches.

In addition, the sampling options in workstations like the Triton and the Motif are better than nothing; but they don't compare with even an E4XT Ultra, let alone a Gigastudio. Perhaps you want to consider buying a dedicated sampler.

If your goal is to have a well-rounded keyboard setup, I still maintain that an analog synth, a virtual analog synth, or a dedicated sampler is what you should now buy.

Perhaps if you shared with us what your needs were, we could better help you.

Best,

Geoff

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

Geoff,

I understand completely.... I am primarily a writer/producer. I don't advertise my studio as a business, so I don't have to worry about clients needing a certain synth, etc...

My objective is to buy other module with fresh new sounds, so I can access them quickly while in production, and not waste any time creating a sound. I have a S5000 I hardly use, and I'm even thinking about selling it. My MPC3000 is also for sale.

I dig the Motif, XV3080, and I enjoy some of the sounds from the proteus 2000, and the S4plus, even though they're a little thin.

I'm just looking for something with quick access and great sounds.

Imagine

For general music production the Triton is very good. Just realize that the sounds that will be new to you on the Triton have been used by heavily over the past few years by other professionals.

Do you have expansion boards in your modules? Those are great for adding sounds. I am thinking of trading my P2K for the K2500. It sounds much better and the programs are re-done. Also consider buying presets for your current synths. Kid Nepro has made a living creating new patch banks and selling them.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by Imagine:

My objective is to buy other module with fresh new sounds, so I can access them quickly while in production, and not waste any time creating a sound.

Imagine, I would recommend Novation's Supernova II, based on your stated objective. The Triton has been around too long to be fresh and new. The KARMA is fresh in its approach, but less so in its sound. OTOH, because you have no European synths, the Supernova II would be a fresh change of pace for you. It is also relatively new.

IMO, the Supernova II has great patches straight out of the box. If you ever decide you want to change a patch, however, the Supernova II has knobs galore for quick and easy tweaking. Also, if you want to sequence filter sweeps, for example, I'm pretty sure that the Supernova II's knobs generate MIDI commands to which the Supernova II would respond on playback from a sequencer.

If the Supernova II is beyond your budget (although I doubt it is, considering your other gear), Novation's K-Station or A-Station would also be great choices.

I also like the Access Virus; but if you have ProTools, you might just want to buy it as a TDM plug-in. (I believe that you use Digital Performer though, am I right?) The Nord Lead is a good choice as well.

I am less inclined to recommend the Andromeda now. While it is probably the best of the bunch, it also takes some time to really get it to shine. IMO, this is more of a programmer's synth. While I mean that in the best possible way, this is not the keyboard for someone who doesn't want to "waste any time creating a sound."

You've got a lot of great music stores nearby. Sit down and try these boards, you'll know which ones speak to you.

Best,

Geoff

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the info.

Soapbox,

I'm considering the Supernova II. I imagine you have one? I am DP, and I've been thinking about soft-synths, but I'm a hardware person, besides, I think I'd like to have another keyboard...Thx for the help...

Imagine

Imagine, I spent a lot of time with the Supernova II before I finally settled for the A-Station . I already have a lot of gear and no leftover rack space, and I wanted a module instead of another keyboard. As it is, I am finally in the process of transferring my ADAT tapes to ProTools so that I can get rid of my two ADATs and rack up my Speck XTRAMIX and A-Station, both of which have been sitting in my closet for some time now!

Like you, I plan to get rid of one of my samplers. (I have an extra E-IV I'm no longer using.) When I do, I'll probably add the new Access Virus Rack XL and the Kurzweil PC2R to my setup.

I am recommending the Supernova II over the A-Station in your case because the user interface is more friendly and less cramped. Also, you can have 48-note polyphony if you go for the Supernova II ProX. The A-Station is just eight voices.

Best,

Geoff

P.S. Click here the thread in which we discussed my cost and space issues.

Originally posted by Imagine:

My objective is to buy other module with fresh new sounds, so I can access them quickly while in production, and not waste any time creating a sound. I have a S5000 I hardly use, and I'm even thinking about selling it. My MPC3000 is also for sale...

I'm just looking for something with quick access and great sounds.

Well, then you should definitely give GigaStudio a try. You would have a ton of awesome samples all immediately available.

If you just want a lot of great sounds though, the Triton Rack certainly delivers, especially if you load it up with the expansion boards and MOSS card.

Soapbox,

That's a load of information...thank you.

I'll certainly give them all a look before committing to anything.

Best,

Imagine

R,

I thought about the gigastudio. A friend of mine has the 160, and love's it.... Thx

Gigastudio is cool...get a 2space or even 1space rack chassis and an lcd and you're good to go, definitely quicker access than a sampler, great for scoring and such. Just don't install anything else.

The Supernova looks extremely cool, makes me salivate.

Tried out the Karma only recently and it definitely is something I could definitely use. i AM a player, and even though it as autostuff up the wazoo it never is about the gear. So even though it might think on its own, I would think if you are creative enough then it would be very useful. Great Triton sounds and effects.

I'm also thinking of adding new gear that's why I'm chiming in here, and also thinking of adding the triton stuff. So in an attempt to resist GAS I bought a cdrom from Pro-rec for Akai (I have an old S2000 and an Emu E5000) that is just filled with Triton stuff. Sounds great. It still isn't a Triton though, since one of the things that makes the Triton what it is is the builtin effects. Really where the P2K is lacking I think.

But trying out a bunch of softsynth demos recently has me convinced this is the way to go, since the Powerbook upgrade announcement. Much more flexible and after the initial new-keyboard-like payment it'll be much cheaper when it's time to add new gear (softgear). But...still no Karma functions in software.

Raul

Archived