Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hope I`m not alone in this.

Slowly

Hope I`m not alone in this.

Wrote this Gospel tune, but, being not really a keyboard player had some problems. All I want to do is record the music,(organ and drum machine), give the tape and lyrics to the choir director, and its all good. Three hours later I`m still flubbing it. Okay, one last try. Yahoo, nailed it, a perfect ten. Gave myself a standing ovation. "Thank you Lord!!!". Guess what, pause button still on. And it too late and I`m too tired to try again. From now on,I`m recording all my sessions from beginning to end and just editing out the arguments with the wife about coming to bed. Casey

"Let It Be!"

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Were you recording into a sequencer? Most sequencers have a "Capture Last Take" feature that stealthily records what you played even then the transport is not running. It's great for capturing that magical idea that you can't quite duplicate.

Don't worry! You did it once; you'll get it again. :)

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Recording a solo take is really hard. There's a show on VH-1 called Classic Albums ( I think). It taks about how some albums/CD's went together. They'll sit there and solo some tracks. Some of them sound pretty flubby. But when you get all the tracks together, you don't notice the flubs so much. In your situation, you have no where to hide. If I have a tricky part, I'll record it in sections. Just keep doing the verse over and over. When you get it right, go on to the next section. Maybe copy & paste some of the sections. As Dan said if you got it once, you can do it again.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

That is one reason I liked the MR-76 I once owned. It recorded everything you play into midi. Everything. If you were just playing around and hit upon something great, just rewind the midi recorder and transfer it into a track. It kept a history file and you could go back a few ideas and decide what you want to save.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I actually experience the other side of that. When I'm in the studio, I always want "one more rehearsal" before I go for a take. The last time, the engineer got wise, and would record the rehearsals, and then when I was ready, would say: "OK, let's listen back to that..." and we'd almost always keep those.
Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Archived