Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Triton... noisy main & headphone outputs

jbr

Hi all,

I turned on my new Triton for the first time today and listened to the demos...awesome!

But I can't figure out where the source of the noise from the outputs is coming from. I noticed it first when I plugged in headphones(sony mdr7506) and heard a constant buzzing (1-3khz) sound akin to a dial-up modem trying to connect. I then turned up the outboard mixer channel and it was there also. I've tried plugging the Triton into different wall outlets as well as a Furman Power Conditioner, but to no avail...that annoying buzz still exists.

Using the headphones, it disappears when the volume is up full, but that is not acceptable. Through the main outs it's noisy at all times...as I increase the control room outputs on the outboard mixer, the more noticeable the noise. I've also ran the outputs into a small keyboard amp and the same noise appears.

I also own a Roland XV-88 which has no such problem using the same wall outlet, headphones and audio cables.

Thanks for any info,

Jim

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you near a computer monitor or other source of interference? What happens if you take the unit to another room of the house or another location? Also, try turning off the effects to see if that makes a difference. If you still hear noise after all that, take the unit back for an exchange. Something's not right.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Thanks for the responses.

Chris, I did email Steve and following is the transcript.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the reply Steve, I appreciate it. And it is comforting that this is not a common problem.

1) Do you have any options installed in the Triton? No

2) Are you using the main L/R outputs, or are you using these in conjunction with the other outputs (i.e. 1/2/3/4) Main L/R and Headphones only

3) Which operating system do you have installed? 2.1.0

4) Have you tried lifting the ground? No, and it is used only for my home studio...no travel. The cables run through an Ebtech Hum Eliminator or Line Level Shifter before mixer.

5) Did you try other cables? Yes. And I use quality Canare cables with Neutrik connectors. Also the headphone jack is where it is most noticeable. Also, I've tried a different cable from the headphone jack into the amp. I've tried a different AC cable too.

This might sound odd, but with all volume controls at minimum I can faintly hear the noise emanating from the unit itself and to confirm this I put mt ear directly on the Triton body and it's the same buzzing noise I hear through the main outs and headphone jacks.

Thanks and hope to hear from you again,

Jim

--------------------------------------------------------------

Dan, I did as you suggested...no difference. It's odd that when I'm wearing headphones and the volume is it at max., it stops, but of course that is far too loud to handle.

I hope to hear from Steve tomorrow.

[ 02-18-2002: Message edited by: jbr ]

Originally posted by jbr:

Thanks for the responses.

This might sound odd, but with all volume controls at minimum I can faintly hear the noise emanating from the unit itself and to confirm this I put mt ear directly on the Triton body and it's the same buzzing noise I hear through the main outs and headphone jacks.

That could be magneto-striction in the transformer in which case you may be close to a radio transmitter which is pumping in RF through your mains. Are you near the airport, for example?

You might try putting an RF choke in your power and see if it goes away.

Byrdman, I'm about 4 miles from the airport, so I don't think that's the cause...good thought though. And if there was interference of some kind, I would probably hear it emanating from my computers as well. I'm not familiar with an RF choke...I understand the idea, but I use Ebtech Hum Eliminators and Line Level Shifters on all my gear.

I heard back from Steve and he mentioned that the Korg tech said "By the way, there is always a small mechanical whine from any backlit display, from the 01/w to the present models." That's probably more accurate than my description. If that is cause, I must say it's a bit distracting.

I phoned Matt's Music and explained the issue to them. Jason went and plugged headphones into the Triton ProX which they have on display, but he didn't hear any noise like I described. I'm taking my Triton there on Wednesday to let them hear it. I'll also try my headphones on their Triton ProX.

The ProX on display has the same "whine" to it, but not as pronounced. Using the retailers Fostex headphones it was silent, but with my Sony 7506's I can hear it clearly. It was also clearly audible through Matt's mixer...go figure.

Originally posted by jbr:

The ProX on display has the same "whine" to it, but not as pronounced. Using the retailers Fostex headphones it was silent, but with my Sony 7506's I can hear it clearly. It was also clearly audible through Matt's mixer...go figure.

So two units have the same problem so its not just your unit? Did you have them take it back?

Hey Byrdman,

No, I didn't get it replaced. They didn't have any 61 Triton's in stock to test. But I asked to let me know when another one comes in so I can try it out.

I thought the Tritons were supposed top of the line quality, but this has tarnished that expectation. Since I use it for recording, it's not sitting well.

Archived