Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Could someone please explain Giga dimensions?

Dan South

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Dan South:

I keep reading about something called "dimensions" in Gigasampler. I'd like to understand what that is in order to make sense of what I'm reading.

Oh man. This is a large, lengthy topic. I'll try to put it in a nutshell. Most of this is copy/paste info...I'm too lazy to edit, so forgive me in advance if it sounds like marketing schlock...

===

Enabled by the huge sampling capacity of Giga, a new scheme - dimensions - was created to control the 'GigaSampled' Instrument. These dimensions (up to 5 in the GigaSampler product) may be used concurrently to 'play' the dynamic behavior of the instrument. For instance, a snare drum has many different characteristics when played in various locations - toward the center of the drum, toward the rim, on the rim, etc. with further changes over striking force, playing technique, stylistic inflection, etc. With a large enough sample database for each of these characters (facilitated by the huge sampling capability), the behavior of the instrument can be captured in much greater detail. Using the dimensions, each character can then be managed dynamically via re-assignable instrument controllers (Mod wheels, sliders, foot pedals, breath controllers, etc.). The end result is much more realistic and playable instruments.

===

Make sense? The main thing to know is that Giga developers often put particular performance tools in their libraries that can only be taken advantage of in the Giga platform. These are things like key-switching capabilities that allow a slide on a bass string or a trill on a string. It actually allows you to grab another sample, in that case.

Let me know if you need more info, Dan...I can point you in the direction you need.

- Jeff

Jeff ,

When I read stuff like this .....it makes me happy that I have my 788 ! I love hard disk recording . No matter what brand you choose ...plug and play ! IMO sorry to ramble

www.esnips.com/web/SongsfromDanO

Jeff, got it! Perfectly understandable, I just didn't know to what the word was referring.

Two more quick questions if I may. First, is Giga XP compatible yet?

Second question: I've purchased a couple of Giga libraries from the Tascam/Giga site. One title is the Voices of Native America CD. I'm concerned because Giga format is not mentioned anywhere on the CD box. It just says "CD Audio Disc of Samples of ...". I'm afraid to break the seal, because I'd like to return it if it's not the right format.

I called the shipping people, but they said that I needed to speak to tech support. They put me through to someone's voice mail, but I never received a response (since about a week). Is there any way that you can suggest how I can verify that this is a native Giga CD-ROM?

Thanks a zillion (and a half)!

Dan

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Jeff, got it! Perfectly understandable, I just didn't know to what the word was referring.

Cool. There's more to it than that, but it's the basic concept.

First, is Giga XP compatible yet?

It is now. Version 2.5 (to be precise, 2.50.78) is the latest build, and it is compatible with both WinXP and Win2K. If the version you get is earlier than this (the new one only came out very recently), you can go to the Giga site and download the update.

One title is the Voices of Native America CD. I'm concerned because Giga format is not mentioned anywhere on the CD box.

Yeah, thanks a whole lot, QUp Arts. :rolleyes: You're the tenth person this week that brought this to my attention, and rightfully so. YES, it's Giga compatible, and yes, you had every reason to be concerned about this. The packaging does not indicate this, and I'm speaking to QUp so that they make this more obvious in future versions of this and other libraries they make. In any case, it's a good library and it is native Giga.

- Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff, TASCAM Guy:

It is now. Version 2.5 (to be precise, 2.50.78) is the latest build, and it is compatible with both WinXP and Win2K.

Okay, being anal-retentive and all that, I just realized that I wrote 2.50.78. The actual number of the final build was 2.50.48.

I'm sure your entire day was in chaos until this was clarified, rectified, and re-communified.

I feel better now. ;)

- Jeff

BTW, which OS is better for Giga? XP or 2k?

Jeez...I don't know. Hang on, let me ask someone.

Jeff: Hey dude.

Dave the Giga Guru: What's up?

Jeff: Hey, what's better for Giga, XP or 2K?

DTGG: Well, they should be pretty much the same.

Jeff: If you had to choose?

DTGG: I'd use XP.

Jeff: What are you using as your personal Giga OS?

DTGG: I'm using ME, cause it's been stable and once it's good, I don't screw around with it.

Jeff: Any other OS ideas?

DTGG: Win98 SE works well. Hey, why are you typing everything I'm saying?

Jeff: Um...no reason.

DTGG: You just typed that too.

Jeff: Yup.

DTGG: What are you doing, man?

Jeff: Nothing.

DTGG: No, you're doing something.

Jeff: Nope. You can go now.

DTGG: (gives suspicious glance, leaves office).

So there you have it.

- Jeff

Archived