Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Attractions in L.A.?

K.C.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i haven't been to L.A. in about a year, but i always go to the big guitar center (on sunset) and a few of the many smaller music shops near there.

i guarantee that there will be an AWESOME concert while you're there at one of these venues:

the conga room

the mint

luna park

i shouldn't give this secret away, but there's a great samba place on pico called "cafe danssa" that has live brazillian music on friday & saturday. friday is especially amazing- it features members of MILA (Mocidade Independent de Los Angeles, a batucada escola) with cavaquinho (like a mandolin or uke) and singing. the crowd is mostly brazillian and always beautiful and they can dance!!. the venue itself is nothing special (70's wood paneling), but the vibe is great.

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: wager47 ]

Originally posted by K.C.:

I am going to LA next week. Does anyone know great attraction in LA? Just name those places. Thanks

Aside from the waitresses, here are a couple of attractions that I've enjoyed -

- La Brea Tar Pits (George C. Page Museum)

- Griffith Observatory

- Mann's Chinese Theater

- Santa Monica (esp. the Pier and the Promenade)

- the Hollywood sign

- Venice Beach

- MacArthur Park (no big deal, but it IS a musical reference)

It's fun to drive in and around LA. The mountain roads are really cool. If you have a chance, drive south and visit Huntingdon Beach (just a beach, but it's BIG), Newport Beach (nice, fun beach community), or Laguna Beach (lots of art galleries). Newport Beach is not far from Anaheim (Disneyland) and a couple of IMAX theaters.

Further south, stop by the famous Mission San Juan Capistrano and eat some tacos at the stand across the street (yummy!).

If you can get down to San Diego, the Zoo and the Wild Animal Part (two separate places) are both quite memorable. If you take the coast highway (the 5) down to San Diego, try coming back up the 15, which follows an incredibly beautiful mountan valley. It's like driving on Mars.

If you drive north of LA along the Malibu coast, you can hike in the mountains next to the highway.

If you have a full day, try to book tickets (in advance) for the ferry to Santa Catalina Island or take a day and drive east to the Palm Spring/Joshua Tree area. Palm Springs is a posh resort town with lots of good restaurants. Joshua Tree National Park, about a 45-minute drive from Palm Springs, has an otherworldly beauty that you'll remember forever. Along the highway to Palm Springs (the 10, if memory serves), you'll see the amazing Southern California windmill farms.

So much to see, so little time...

The Black Knight always triumphs!

My recommendations would partly depend on your interests. Dan gave a lot of good suggestions, especially if you want to go where the tourists go, or if you're into nature. I would also add that Universal Studios and Universal City Walk do well at catering to that touristy urge. It is also possible to get in free to watch the taping of a lot of television shows. I'm pretty sure that tickets for these can be found at Universal Studios, NBC, and CBS.

If you're interested in places to hang out, where locals go for a good time, I would recommend Manhattan Beach and Dana Point. They're both mellow, but beautiful beach communities. Old Pasadena and Santa Monica's Promenade and Boardwalk are two other local hangs for dinner, movies, and shopping. If you're looking for hip clothing, Melrose is a good place to shop. I also enjoy hanging out at the Ghetty Museum sometimes. The exhibits are so-so, but the architecture is cool and the museum has a relaxing garden and a beautiful view of Los Angeles.

Hollywood, is now a stark contrast of rundown and upscale chic, as the city has poured millions into upgrading the formerly seedy neighborhood. The Egyptian Theater has been restored to its former glory and a new trendy mall now surrounds the Chinese Theater. Hollywood Boulevard, however, still has plenty of trashy stores that are good for souvenirs, lingerie, and rock 'n roll clothing.

Of mild interest to musicians is the Hollywood Guitar Center's "Walk of Fame." It's the musical cousin to the Chinese Theater.

You should know that you're going to be in Los Angeles during the rainy season, but the odds are still only about 50/50 that you'll encounter any showers. Still, you'll want to pack appropriate clothing and bear in mind that people here don't drive well in the rain. (We don't get a lot of practice!)

Well, that's all I can think of at this moment. Too bad you won't be here a week later. I highly recommend the Winter NAMM Show!

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

One more thing...

I highly suggest you see "The Lion King" at the Pantages Theater in Hollywood. Even though some might dismiss it as a Broadway hand-me-down, they'd be missing out. The L.A. cast is very good. For sheer spectacle, I have never seen any live theater like it! It has great music as well. If you like theater, check it out!

Originally posted by soapbox:

WHAT?!? steadyb posted in this thread without recommending you see a Laker game?!?

Somebody nab this IMPOSTER!!!

That's because steadyb can't get tickets to a Laker game, so he doesn't want some out-of-towner getting into the good stuff that HE can't even enjoy. ;)

Originally posted by Dan South:

That's because steadyb can't get tickets to a Laker game, so he doesn't want some out-of-towner getting into the good stuff that HE can't even enjoy. ;)

Ya know, you try to put up a serious post and look what happens. :rolleyes:

The Lakers are on an extended road trip, but if you want to see a game, "Jorday" and the Wizards are coming to town on Feb. 12th. Good luck getting tickets...

It'll be fun watching Kobe school MJ when the wizzers have to play a real team. :eek:

How could you ALL forget to mention sight-seeing in Beverly Hills? Take a walk down Rodeo Drive and see what the really big money in retail can do. It is one of the most famous streets in the world. And you might spot a celeb or two ... and their lawyers, business managers, chofeurs, (sp, sorry), and others in the entourage.

Also in Beverly Hills is Greystone Manor, the 2nd largest private estate (2nd only to Hearst's Castle in San Simeon) in California. It is above Sunset Blvd, just west of Doheny Drive. It is truly a beautiful place, sort of like a chateau, and has a wonderful view of the city, from above, looking south, from east to west.

I took my 3 year old to see Griffith Observatory last Monday, just before its closing. Captured it all (and his temper tantrums) on video tape. We'll compare it (and his demeanor) with the 2005 version of the Observatory. I'm sure it will be impressive.

For more tips on sight-seeing around Los Angeles, there is also the Huntington Library in San Marino (near Pasadena). The grounds are impressive and expansive.

And along the lines of the La Brea Tarpits, are other museums such as the Peterson Automotive Museum, the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA), the Museum of Contempory Art (MOCA), and one of the quirkier ones, the Museum of Neon Art (MONA).

There is also Alvera Street and the Los Angeles El Adobe, which is one of the oldest structures built and still standing in Los Angeles.

Near the USC campus is the Museum of Natural History and an IMAX Theatre (is it still there?).

For a more bohemian experience try cruising the Venice Beach Boardwalk. It's actually a concrete walk, but it is lined with interesting shops and vagabond vendors and massuers and massuses, musicians, artists, and magicians.

And of course there is Disneyland (just a few blocks away from the NAMM show next week), and the California Adventure (which I hear is not that great), Knotts Berry Farm, and lots of other attractions.

I hope that we have given you too many choices, because, in California, too many choices is almost enough.

Steveedan, a California man

Originally posted by Steveedan:

Also in Beverly Hills is Greystone Manor, the 2nd largest private estate (2nd only to Hearst's Castle in San Simeon) in California. It is above Sunset Blvd, just west of Doheny Drive. It is truly a beautiful place, sort of like a chateau, and has a wonderful view of the city, from above, looking south, from east to west.

It's funny you should bring that up. My wife and I were married there. Not surprisingly, I agree: it is truly a beautiful place!

Good suggestions Steveedan!

Best,

Geoff

Good suggestions, Steveedan! How's your cousin, Steelydan?

I was never very impressed with Rodeo Drive - no horses, no bulls, no clowns... And they call this a RODEO? ;)

Everything else sounds fun. I'll ask my chauffer to drop me there next time. :D

Justdan

Originally posted by Dan South:

Good suggestions, Steveedan! How's your cousin, Steelydan?

I was never very impressed with Rodeo Drive - no horses, no bulls, no clowns... And they call this a RODEO? ;)

Everything else sounds fun. I'll ask my chauffer to drop me there next time. :D

Justdan

It's the wrong rodeo! It's ROH-DA-OH. You want Rodeo over by Ladera Heights where they tore down the Fedco and built the Target.

:D Michael

Q:What do you call a truck with nothing in the bed,nothing on the hitch, and room for more than three people in the cab? A:"A car"....

Now this is getting really funny !!

Geoff - you chose a FANTASTIC place to tie the knot. My question to you is -- was the ceremony in front of the white fountain on that rectangular grass lawn, or down in the main courtyard next to the main entrance of the mansion?

Also, it is Row-DAY-Oh Drive, and yes, ROW-Dee-oh is where Fedco used to be.

My cousin, Steely Dan won't admit to being related to me.

You guys are great. Great. Great. Great.

Steve (-edan, OK?)

I'm hitting LAX on Jan 16th, one day prior to the NAMM Show.

One full day with nothing to do...

Where're my CALI buddies?

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Archived